Strap lock users

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by slickfaster, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Just arrived
    20191108_153858.jpg

Trash Kidd, slickfaster, jdto and 2 others like this.
  2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I had the Schaller strap locks on a few of my guitars but I took them off. They work well but they are really long and move the strap way away from the guitar body. I did not like that. I just use the beer bottle washers now, the strap now hugs the body.

3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Basically oval or square , different finishes too . Choice is yours images.jpeg images-1.jpeg

slickfaster and Zeek like this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Strap lock's are the best insurance policy I've bought for my guitars

audept, slickfaster, jdto and 3 others like this.
  5. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    whats a beer bottle washer??

6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Had a couple of near misses with Gretsch strap buttons coming out of the guitar, caught them in time, both times it happened. Now most of my Gretsch guitars have Schaller straplocks. As @thunder58 says it's a great insurance policy!

wizard_23 and G5422T like this.
  7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    446A35B2-669B-4FED-951D-5E13A3D8269C.jpeg 6C6DF7D7-318D-48CD-A207-EE534CEBE4A8.jpeg

Grolsch beer washers get them on line. fender even makes a clone version

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  8. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
    I use the Grolsch washers with the Gretsch system. I wish I still had the two (2) pairs of Schallers that the center button that locks into the hole in the stud that is attached to the guitar wore out. Good catch both times on my part. They are safe for a shot period of time. When they wallow out and the pin can no longer hold them...not so much.

9. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    The new Schallers S look bullet proof. Bet there pricey!

10. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    $29.99 at GC

11. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Every guitar gets a set of Schaller's, that way if I want the same strap back and forth its compatible. Although, every guitar gets it's own strap to suit it anyway.

audept likes this.
  12. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
  13. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT
    I have Schaller strap locks on all my electric guitars and straps. I also installed a football jack plate on my G5420T.

[​IMG]

unknown fan likes this.
  14. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT
    unknown fan and slickfaster like this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Best ones are the old ones. They have a Grolsch imprint and taste way better.:cool:

Uhm, yes Schallers on all my guitars. Since that could become an expensive exercise I got about 10 straps with Schaller locks and put a load of Schaller compatible buttons on my guitars. Bought the buttons cheap with a Chinese supplier.

16. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT

A bit of blue Loc-Tite and you'll never worry about the nut falling off again. The new S locks solved that issue with a larger knurled nut with a lock screw

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Loctite is fine unless you usually remove the strap when you put the guitar into it's case. I'll stick with Straplocks.

Zeek likes this.
  18. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Schaller locks on all guitars and straps. Cheap insurance for you instrument.

G5422T, wabash slim and Zeek like this.
  19. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    We use Schaller locks on ALL of out guitars, including one strap lock on the neck of the acoustics.

I have repaired too many damaged guitars that have "magically jumped" off the guitar strap. To be honest, no one expects this to happen, but there are hundreds of people that have had this happen. Sometimes removing the stud on the Gretsch can be difficult, especially if some one has tried to do it with a screw driver.
    In one case, I had to put loctite GREEN on the remaining portion of the stud and attached the Gretsch button. After waiting 24 hours to cure, I could remove the screw from the Gretsch body. Since the screw/stud was already ruined, there was no loss. If you soak the button with the stud in nail polish remover, even though it has loctite GREEN, it will come off, saving the button, no heat required.
    BTW the strength of green is between Blue and Red.

slickfaster and jdto like this.
  20. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Schaller locks on all guitars.
    I've too many close calls and a couple of bad experiences with the Gretsch strap knobs working loose while playing.

G5422T, wabash slim and mrfixitmi like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice