Strap lock users

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by slickfaster, Nov 8, 2019.

1. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    image.jpg I have never considered installing strap locks to any of my Gretsch guitars. I recently put a set on my pointy guitars and like them a lot. Gretsch’s screw down system works great but the ease of strap locks are great!
    Anyone change out their stock system for Schaller strap lock system?
    I’m about to give it a swap n see..

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I have. The stock screw on units failed me at an inopportune time. Luckily, I caught the guitar before it hit the floor. Lesson learned. Easy on, easy off.

Get a jack plate, too.

thunder58 likes this.
  3. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    With Schaller locks it's easy. Buy a tap and tap the Schaller button to fit the stud threads on your Gretsch. Doesnt even require drilling the button. No mods to your guitar at all.
    [​IMG]

4. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    Yikes. Do you have a picture of the jack plate?

Mr Swisher likes this.
  5. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    So then you screw down the Schaller as if it were the Gretsch button?? No new screws??
    Do you know the tap size?
    Schaller should make a threaded button for Gretsch guitars..

mrfixitmi likes this.
  6. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    I like this do you know the tap size by chance my guess is it is metric ?

7. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I like the stock Gretsch buttons. They're pretty, and they work with just about any strap. A dab of blue LocTite on the threads will keep the buttons from coming loose on their own. (But make sure it's blue LocTite! The red stuff will create a permanent bond.)

unknown fan, mrfixitmi and Gregor like this.
  8. Any guitar a play standing up and value has strap locks. Hot rod included. One of the few things about gretsch that isn’t my cup of tea is the strap knobs. The es 295 i got comes with a plastic endpin that you put a strap on. Like most wedged in plastic pins, it can come out. For what the guitar coasts, you would think safety comes first, but they wanted to make it like the original 1952 version, when strap locks weren’t even a dream. So i found a way to mount one on the guitar without altering the beauty. I dont swing my guitars around my body, but its good to know that they will stay attached to the strap when i stand up and at least walk.

audept and Jelly Roll Horton like this.
  9. jdto

jdto Electromatic

Apr 17, 2016
    Toronto
    All of my electric guitars get them, as well as a couple of my acoustics.

Zeek likes this.
  10. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I cant remember, but it's not metric I dont think, maybe #6 or #8? Just remove your Gretsch knob and try a nut on there. Or take your knob to the hardware store and try screws in it, then buy a tap to match that screw size.

11. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yep no new screws at all. I cant remember size, Just remove your Gretsch knob and try a nut on there. Or take your knob to the hardware store and try screws in it, then buy a tap to match that screw size.

12. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    What’s jack plate look Ike??

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's a metal square or oval that screws to the side of the guitar to protect the phone jack from damage. Like strap locks, it's a bit of insurance from inadvertent damage.

14. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    The newest Shaller S Locks have a one piece strap button and screw made of hardened steel.

Improved locking system, along with more threads to go through thicker straps too.

Compatable with the old buttons for a "win win."

20191108_133900.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  15. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    Looks like the threaded ring has a Allen pin to lock down.
    They should make buttons with correct thread for Gretsch... I believe the tap dice is universal to all Gretsch.
    The button should also have a Allen pin to lock it same as pot knobs...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  16. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    +1 on the fact that with the Schaller S Locks, you can purchase additional buttons separate. One strap to rule them all. Assuming the guitars of similar shape and size so you don’t have to keep adjusting the strap.

G5422T likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    No, I think they are ugly and I dont like the idea of having metal on the end of my strap.

I really like the duesenberg multilocks. They have a kluson straplock, oryoubcan thread a thin knurled knob over the strap like a gretsch. They look great.

Have em on my jet and martin.

[​IMG][​IMG]

j.s.c and MotorCentaur like this.
  18. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    The first thing I do when I buy a new guitar is change the strings an put Strap Locks on if not equipped. I use the Dunlop ,though I have had 1 fail on me.

The Falcon came with knobs, but the wife is pickin Schaller Guitar Strap Locks and Buttons (Pair) in Gold ,up tonight on her way home (Great Wife) for me so the Falcon is safe

19. RAFS

RAFS Electromatic

Oct 13, 2019
    Canada
    As you can see in my profile picture, I have Schaller buttons. Just too convenient to think of using the Gretsch buttons instead. But I will say, the Gretsch buttons are the nicest of all the buttons I have replaced!

Zeek likes this.
  20. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have Schaller’s on all 3 of my Gretsch’s.
    The stock strap buttons are cool, but I can’t trust them on stage.

audept and Zeek like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice