Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Strap button's vs Strap

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Gravel Man, Sep 13, 2017 at 12:20 PM.

Tags:
  1. Gravel Man

Gravel Man Electromatic

May 25, 2017
    California
    I have found on my 5420 that the standard strap buttons are very secure but on the larger size. I have to unscrew them in order to put the strap on and off....Are others having to do this? The best is to leave the guitar out....but in order to put it in the case I have to take the strap off....Just curious? Is there a solution to not having to take the buttons off? thank you

2. Zeke

Zeke Electromatic

Aug 14, 2017
    United States
    I have new straps, so I unscrew the strap button to fix them to the guitar. The post in the guitar stays in place. I don't want to stretch the strap holes by forcing it over the button. Older straps fit right over the buttons with a little effort.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 2:19 PM
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

The Gretsch strap knobs are different from the strap buttons that most manufacturers use. The strap knobs on the 5420 are meant to be screwed off, then with the strap in place, to be screwed back on. On the picture below, you can see the flange on the bolt, it screws into the body up to the flange, and then the knob screws on to the upper threads.

[​IMG]

T Bone and benjwri like this.
  4. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    The Gretsch strap knob and the screw shaft in the guitar are two separate pieces. if the screw shaft is coming out each time you unscrew the knob, then the knob has been screwed on to tightly. You can separate them using needle nose pliers to hold the unthreaded neck portion of the screw (just underneath the knob). This should allow you to unscrew the knob.

EDIT: LivingMyDream beat me to it while I was typing!;)

See this older post for more details on how to remedy this problem:

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/strap-button-problem.38704/#post-258038

5. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I know some on here have voiced disdain for Gretsch strap buttons in the past, but I must say I really like the way Gretsch does their buttons. I've never had a problem, and I don't have to worry about straps coming off. Now the dang MUD SWITCH is a different story, but I digest. Just finished lunch n all. ;)

6. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Falmouth, Va
    I am also a fan of the Gretsch knobs....

But, I leave my straps on, even in the case. If I can fit any of my guitars in their cases with the straps, I do. My 5127 has an oversize case (not a Gretsch branded one, but a TKL that's a hair deep). The strap has plenty of room to fold over. My 6129, the case is a little tighter (and the strap is thicker). SO, I am just very precise about folding it just right in the case.

I am also in the habit of automatically giving a little twist to both knobs just to make sure they are tight. It literally is automatic as soon as I throw either of my Gretsches over my shoulder.

Waxhead, Henry and Pdnlegs like this.
  7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I am such a fan of Gretsch strap knobs that I replace EVERY set with a set of real strap locks.

Twice I have had them let go during a gig. One time I had my gorgeous Country Club detach during a session and it was only fast reflexes and my foot that broke the fall. I limped for two weeks but the guitar survived unscathed. They are unreliable, period.

If you value your expensive Gretsch guitar, spring an extra $20 and throw a set of strap locks on it.

wabash slim likes this.
  8. tartanphantom

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I fall in the same camp as you. Straps stay on in the case. Strap knobs get checked before putting the guitar on, and also I tend to tweak them between sets. It's become automatic for me.... so automatic that sometimes when I am playing a non-Gretsch instrument, I find myself occasionally reaching to tweak a standard strap button...:rolleyes:

Axis39 and Henry like this.
  9. Gravel Man

Gravel Man Electromatic

May 25, 2017
    California
    Thank you for your advise....I do like the strap buttons on my Gretsch I have been taking them off to put the strap on and off. Only the button is coming off not the shaft. I just wanted to make sure this is how they were meant to be used. I would like to leave the strap on but I read that leather or vinyl can react with the finish on the guitar.....is that true?

T Bone likes this.
  10. tartanphantom

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Generally, the polyester finish on your 5420 will not react with leather or vinyl-- it's much tougher than a nitro finish. However, prolonged constant contact (for example storing the guitar in a closed case for a year with NO use) could leave spots in the finish. My guitars are stored in their cases, but are constantly being removed for gigging and playing purposes.

What I do with most of my guitars is I take a super soft microfiber polishing cloth (found in the auto care section at stores) and I actually lay it over the body of the guitar... then I lay the strap on top before closing the case. In other words, the strap is still attached, but the polishing cloth acts as a barrier between it and the guitar body. This method also encourages me to lightly buff the finish before playing, since the polishing cloth is right there when I open the case.

11. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Get rid of them and get some form of straplocks.

wabash slim likes this.
  12. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Synchromatic

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    So much this. I do all the same. Leave Straps on, and check the knobs every time i put it on.

Henry likes this.
  13. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Synchromatic

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    That Bigsby arm gets folded down before the case closes also.

14. Rhodie

Rhodie Electromatic

Sep 11, 2017
    Mobile, Al
    I generally use strap locks and wrap the male end with teflon plumbers tape to quite them down. Works for me

15. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I do what many here do. I actually leave the strap on completely now in the case - both ends. My Jr has a Chet arm which won't fold down.

16. NickGretsch

NickGretsch Synchromatic

Aug 30, 2011
    Cornwall, England
    In my opinion these strap buttons are far from adequate.

Didn't like them on my previously owned G5435T Pro Jet and unimpressed with them on my recently purchased G5420T. They come loose all too easily and now one of them has a stripped thread on the G5420 where I've tightened it up against the strap . So will have to fix this with some clear Thread Lock. Luckily I can keep the strap permanently on, even in the case.

Beats me why this unsatisfactory arrangement is still used, a proper button like most other guitars would be better

17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    That's what I have done. I have found on the web a large model (I don't remember where, though) :

[​IMG]

A+!

NickGretsch likes this.
  18. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I love The look of the Gretsch strap buttons but i found them to work loose while gigging.
    I've put Schaller strap locks on my Gretsch Guitars now..

19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Try having the correct case for the guitar.
    I have 2 Gretsch with 2 Gretsch hardcases and don't have to remove straps on either of them to fit perfectly in the case :)

My strap buttons have never shifted while playing/gigging either - rock solid.
    I've done em up tight once and that's it - never touched either in years :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 6:44 AM
    MTurner likes this.