Strap Button Question

Discussion in 'Dan Duffy's Den' started by stixthedrummer, Feb 14, 2011.

1. stixthedrummer

stixthedrummer Electromatic

Feb 5, 2011
    hannibal, mo
    I'm sure this has been asked here before, but please indulge me. I have a 55 Corvette electromatic I want to put strap buttons on, but I'm not sure if what the best place would be to put one in the neck position. I don't want to drill into the darn thing in the wrong place! Is there a block somewhere around the neck that would let me solidly put a strap button there?

2. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    The modern gretsches have a small extra piece of wood inside the upper bout for that exact reason but the vintage ones do not. Probably the safest place would be on the back of the neck heel area.

I have to say though that I wouldn't be putting extra holes in my vintage gretsch. You could always tie a string around the headstock (under the strings of course) and attach the strap there.

3. stixthedrummer

Feb 5, 2011
    hannibal, mo
    I checked out the strap around the headstock. I know Martin makes an accessory just for that purpose, but I'm a little nervous about it because the neck has been repaired.

4. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    What's wrong withthe Gretsch straplocks? They work great if you use the right strap. You need to buy them from Gretsch or look up bobkat from the member's list and ask him to make you one. He made mine and I have not had any problems.

5. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    This isn't about the Gretsch straplocks, it's about acoustics only having one as you're meant to tie up the headstock with a shoelace, oldskool style

I've always been a fan of installing one in the heel, either on the back of the heel or the side of the heel that points towards the ground..

6. Drewgrass

Drewgrass Country Gent

Dec 20, 2009
    Teesside ENGLAND
    Like Tara I'm a fan of installing a strap button in the heel, whenever possible.

Planet Waves make this the DGS15 Quick-Release.

Attached Files:

7. stixthedrummer

Feb 5, 2011
    hannibal, mo
    Thanks for the advice guys!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice