Strange noise from Fender 65 prri

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Stefan, Jul 13, 2019 at 6:23 AM.

1. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Argh... there is a strange noise from my new Fender 65PRRI:
    3B7310BA-89FF-4BD8-926D-6E9806B008D6.jpeg
    while fretting a high „f“ on the G- or the D-string a strange and short „groan“ or „pant“ :eek:appears, dunno how to describe. „Hisss“ or „Shhhh“...:confused:
    Sometimes on other notes.
    I‘ve changed all of the preamp tubes but it didn‘t solve the problem. Can‘t imagine it‘s a prob from the Power Tubes.
    No fun to play the amp with this noise...
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 6:39 AM
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Could it be a guitar mechanical problem? Almost sounds like a mismatched bridge radius?

Robbie likes this.
  3. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Nope. Every guitar I‘ve tried generates the same effect.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Ok that’s cleared. That leaves a nice sympathetic rattle from somewhere. Those can be infuriating to find. Tighten every screw and bolt, and tie cables for starters. Good luck and have fun. :D

Stefan likes this.
  5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    First surprise was a bad reverb tube.
    I know why I stay away from Fender regularly but those Princetons got a great great tone...Unfortunately it sounds like an electrical problem. It‘s a shame, the 65 PRRI isn‘t a cheap amp, made in USA but I know the first series got a lot of problems with rattling baffles, reverb flaws and so on. Maybe I sell it and buy a VSA which was my first impulse.

Lionpotato likes this.
  6. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    That’s a shame. Some new Fender amps can be problem for sure. Not just Fender though, I returned a new AC15 two days after I bought it because of a rattle that I didn’t feel like chasing around. Quite a shame the lack of QA in some new product.

Stefan and Lionpotato like this.
  7. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Got the whole amp apart and assembled again- nothing. The baffle looks strong, everything‘s tight, electronics look good.
    Helpless.
    Maybe the speaker (why?) or one of the big bottles. Dunno if I‘d like to spend more bucks for new power tubes (and adjusting the bias, carry the amp to a technician and so on)...As said before, I know why I keep away from Fender and their mass products. That’s it, up for sale :(

Lionpotato likes this.
  8. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    That sucks. But you said it was new...why not just return it?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

9. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    New but nevertheless 2nd hand. And it‘s from the UK so every guarantee discussion will end up in total stress and endless shipping costs...

Lionpotato likes this.
  10. Fasteddie42

Fasteddie42 Electromatic

Sep 18, 2018
    tip of the mitt
    Just remember that there are also thousands of that same amp with zero issues in backlines/homes/studios all over the world...

reverb11 likes this.
  11. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    That‘s absolutely true. But I‘ve always got problems with new Fender amps so I‘m not really surprised.

Lionpotato and Henry like this.
  12. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Ah.
    Otherwise the amp sounds ok, just odd noises on high notes?

13. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    It sounds fantastic.
    But those noises are annoying.

pmac11 likes this.
  14. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Can you plug it through another cab to rule out speaker problems?

reverb11 likes this.
  15. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Do the noises go away when you turn the bass knob to zero? I'm wondering if you have a wonky capacitor somewhere.

16. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Unfortunately not at the moment.

It‘s independent from the eq-settings

17. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Can you record the sound and post a soundcloud link? Someone on this forum can probably diagnose it.

Have you tried the Fender forums, or The Gear Page? You may not be the only person who has encountered this glitch.

18. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I‘ve tried, it‘s not hearable. Too bad. Post it also on TDPRI.

19. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    First-What pre tubes did you put in when you swapped? The original tubes in many of Fender's new amps are dog doo. I don't know which they put in your model, but the Ruby and especially the Penta can be terrible. SO just asking if the ones you put in are a good brand. The Penta can be ID'd by the shiny chrome looking plate inside the tube.
    -Some speakers with a voice coil rub produce a bad note in a tight range of 1-2 notes. Have you actually tried plugging into another cab and speaker? That would eliminate both a cab rattle and speaker issue. Usually a VC rub is on lower notes though.
    But the fact that the same F does it, regardless of string... makes me wonder about that speaker.

20. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I‘ve swapped all the stock Groove Tubes for TAD Highgrades and selected JJ‘s
    (TAD7025 in V1 and V3, JJ12AY7 in V2 for a smoother Reverb and a JJ12AX7S in V4). They sound amazing and much better than those cheap GT‘s. Another problem- tremolo noise if Reverb was on- was a bad tube in V2. Cleared.

I‘ve suspected the speaker also but got no 2nd atm to give it a try. It‘s a UK Celestion which is usually a good thing...anyways, maybe.

A guy from TDPRI got the same problem with a Stapleton Princeton:

From what I‘m able to hear it‘s the same noise. His ended up being a power tube and it seems to have gone away on it's own o_O

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice