Stopped at Guitar Center today

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by nickurso, May 22, 2019.

1. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    actually it was yesterday but I’m slow to post this. I saw a few interesting things on this visit.

First this bad boy. A silver face fender super six reverb. Very cool, very loud, very heavy amp. I’m summoning visions of Albert Collins playing his tele with that signature piercing tone. Love these amps but it’s not practical for a local working musician.
    0034C9CB-CF7D-43FC-AB98-1CF6E465FAE3.jpeg 432820C4-C82F-40A2-9663-978A4EAA774C.jpeg

Then I saw this in the acoustic room.
    Gretsch jumbo rancher acoustic in gretsch orange with a great flame back side. Sounded really good acoustically but needed a set up. Also has a built in preamp
    89AA6F88-8BF6-4F4C-9C58-167AA192BE51.jpeg 3AE90158-D865-4236-8FC4-450756BFE0C4.jpeg

But this was the one that got my attention. An Epiphone Masterbuilt Zenith. Played great, sounded great felt good in my hands and also has a built in preamp with volume and tone controls inside the f hole on the treble side of the guitar. Anyone own one of these?? I’m seriously considering one.
    FEFB3561-457F-4CE6-A3A4-F9473E4DB164.jpeg

Waxhead, MKunie, sh4rkbyt3 and 6 others like this.
  2. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I remember those Super Six & Quad Fender amps from the mid 70s. My guitar player had one. It had that typical Fender Silver Face sound.
    It was heavy and awkward to carry or lift.
    You had to be real careful moving them because they were tall, slim, and top heavy. One night after a gig we were moving it from out of the truck to the basement in the rain and it fell over in the mud. I still laugh my ass off every time I think about it and that was 40+ years ago. It also didn't help that we were drinking on the way home...:D.

sh4rkbyt3 and nickurso like this.
  3. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Yep top heavy, too big and way too loud. I’ve played a couple of them when I was younger and loved the amp but even then there was no way I would use one to gig with.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have been on the lookout for an Epiphone Zenith. Came close but haven’t actually pulled the trigger just yet. I allready have a couple of acoustics I barely use. Not feeling like adding another one.

Lionpotato and nickurso like this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ..... don't ya just love window shopping ;)

6. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I have a Gretsch Rancher acoustic electric and I will have it forever. It's all the acoustic I will ever need.

Gretsches.JPG

7. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I had a rancher before, this was a jumbo rancher it has a much bigger body and a bigger sound than the rancher I had. It was used with a price tag of $299 and I could probably talk them down on it

8. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    It was almost an impulse buy

thunder58 likes this.
  9. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I agree I’m not much of an acoustic player but it was a really nice guitar, I had to get out of there or it would be here now

Waxhead and Ricochet like this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Well, if you decide to go back it’s probably still there... I’m just saying. :D

nickurso likes this.
  11. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    I always have to set aside a few hours when I got to GC. Same for me as going to a big fish store that has Saltwater and Live Coral. I completely lose track of time.

thunder58 and nickurso like this.
  12. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Now your screen name makes sense

sh4rkbyt3 and pmac11 like this.
  13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You need a badass acoustic/lectric archtop to play in the streets of NOLA. Screenshot_2019-05-22-22-36-45-1.png

14. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I prefer my tele because the slab of wood makes a good weapon just in case

wildeman, audept and new6659 like this.
  15. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    I once read that Johnny Winter thought the Gibson Firebird was an effective weapon!

nickurso likes this.
  16. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Protection is a real concern for street performers

audept likes this.
  17. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Hahah it's actually a fusion of the hobby I enjoy and also being a San Jose Sharks fan thrown in with a little 'leet' speak from the computer world.

nickurso likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice