Stolen Guitars in So Cal

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by tdtom, May 21, 2019.

1. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    I'm nowhere near California but this popped up on one of my news feeds. Keep an eye peeled folks.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-woman-steals-vintage-guitars-20190521-story.html

2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

With video surveillance so common these days, I can't imagine how they could have thought they'd get away with it.

sh4rkbyt3, thunder58 and tdtom like this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    A cunning, calculated crime, I hope they spend some time incarcerated. I'm curious as to why the store employee jumped on the car but didn't take note of the registration number so the cops could track it down.

Waxhead and tdtom like this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Store has insurance and will be fine, things are shoplifted from stores every second in California.

RG7X and Waxhead like this.
  5. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    There is a special place in hell for people who steal music instruments. (They have to listen to computer generated electro-digital disco for eternity).

6. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    The cops will write a report and walk away to go the next report of theft. It's so common the general public and law enforcement just kind of have an apathetic or "not my problem" attitude towards these things. Can't really blame them in these overpopulated places where it's so common... nonetheless, it still sucks. Hope the shop is able to get the guitars back.

7. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    When I tried to buy a bamboo/copper Country Club a couple months ago, that was the store that had it. Sorry to see it happen, the owners are nice people, but like Tavo said, they've got insurance, so they're likely only out the deductible. Sad to think of those two guitars out in the wild in untrained hands with no cases, I hope they survive.

benjwri and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  8. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    That doesn’t make it ok though......

9. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    panhead6zero and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Thieves in general are scum. Porch pirates are bottom feeders. They don't know what they're stealing, and most often they just pitch their ill gotten booty as it's useless to them. At least the guitar thieves have a clue of the instruments' value.

11. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I can't figure out why the hangers weren't the locking kind. Most of the guitar shops I've been to in the UK have locking hangers and to handle one you need a member of staff to get it for you. I've seen this is on guitars that sell for anything from £600 up. I also have to query why a shop with multiple floors has one member of staff covering it. I'm not condoning the thieves actions, but you really don't need to make it easy for them do you?

12. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    That's the real horror :eek:

Wjensen, Scooter127 and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Good point , especially at $10,000 a piece . Thankfully stores like this keep the strings behind the counter where there safe

14. knh555

knh555 Electromatic

Apr 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    And every time this happens it nudges insurance rates up, which either gets passed on to consumers or cuts into tight margins making it even harder for brick and mortar music stores to stay in business.

Insurance doesn’t make it OK to steal.

15. knh555

knh555 Electromatic

Apr 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Didn’t they used to hang horse thieves?

panhead6zero likes this.
  16. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Hang them both!
    Yeah, when I saw my stolen 6128TCG on EBay ( stolen without the case along with my 6120DSV) it had huge gouges in the back like it rode on the top of a gravel truck. Seller got less than $1400 for it -- it was mint when they stole it. :mad:

sh4rkbyt3 and thunder58 like this.
  17. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Video footage is useless unless someone happens to recognize the person. Back in the 90s a guy broke into my workplace and stole some computers. We had his face clear as day on video but the cops didn't recognize him and that was that.

These days with social media there's a good chance someone will rat these people out but it's no guarantee.

/I spent ~10 years managing physical and information security
    //Never again, thanks

18. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I think I remember ( the thread ) when your guitar was stolen . Sad all the way around

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Craigslist and Ebay are "America's Fence"

I worked with people with addictions, they'll steal anything & everything and it's only a temporary solution, they have to do it again tomorrow.

I say arrest the buyers, as in prostitution, arrest the johns.

sh4rkbyt3 and drmilktruck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice