Stan & Ollie

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Synchro, Apr 18, 2019.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Mark Twain said that there were only 100 jokes ever created, and that we were just changing the names and reusing them. I've heard the same Polock jokes redone as Sven and Olie, or Pat and Mike versions. Similar for whatever race is being demeaned by another.

I'll lay odds that many of those old jokes were old long before Vaudeville.

Years ago, when we'd get road shows or conferences in our theater, I'd get a dozen new jokes. The last 20 years, due to the PC culture, those jokes dried up. The humor that used to be passed around on copiers turned into memes and are now passed on digitally. I figured Xerox had a team of comics and artists creating those bad jokes---the art was always the same as was the humor, and half of the stuff printed on office copiers was comedy.

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I'm sure that is true, at least in principle. I was told some oldie, moldy, jokes by my father. He was born in 1916, and I imagine that most of these jokes were old when he was born.

The Three Stooges were merely a Vaudeville act adapted to movies. The Marx Brothers, likewise. Lucille Ball was trained, in part, by Buster Keaton and much of her material came straight out of Vaudeville. Vaudeville itself has been around for a while and I'm certain it was derivative of earlier forms of entertainment. There are many advantages in our modern era, but there were some gems in the past that I would love to have experienced.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    WC Fields started out as a juggler. Red Skelton worked Vaudeville, and was basically a mime. The Marx Bros, 3 Stooges, and so many others all trod the boards. You could develop a bit and keep doing it for decades, moving around the country from one theater to another. Film exposed many of those acts, and TV killed them. When millions of folks saw your act at once, you had to come up with something new quickly.

Here in the States, we had Vaudeville. England had Music Halls. I'd figure other countries had their own versions. Shows like Ed Sullivan were the swan song for many of them, as well as welcoming new acts.

4. Ian Jordan

Ian Jordan Gretschie

Oct 14, 2012
    Coggeshall England
    Ever since a very early age Laurel and Hardy have always made me laugh. One didn't work without the other, Stan needed a 'foil' to work off and Hardy fitted the bill perfectly for their type of comedy. While Stan was sorting out contracts with Hal Roach Hardy did make a few films with other people, one being the Fighting Kentuckian with John Wayne which is a very watchable film. Even after Hardys death, Stan continued to create gags for them.
    I doubt we will ever see their like again as comedy has evolved into something different these days.

Sonny Strimple likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice