Stair Climbing Dolly

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Hammerhands, May 22, 2019.

1. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    My dad just got one of these for his birthday.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?cat=2,44639&p=77362

[​IMG]

It seems a little flimsy, but a heavy duty one could be useful.

I know a drummer who was a mechanic that took one of those orange dollys that turns into a cart and welded a plate onto the axle. He had been using it weekly for 30 years.

It should look more like this.

[​IMG]

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Clever.

3. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I could really have used one of these in my first six or seven years as a lawyer. If I had a new guitar for every time I spilled a cart full of documents on the courthouse steps...

I run a paperless practice now, so all I bring to court is a laptop.

My drums, on the other hand, are not digital. So I may need one of these carts after all.

4. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Mine has some kind of plastic (Nylon?) skids on the back. It lets me take a break halfway up a set of stairs.

I bought it when I moved from a 2nd floor apartment to my house and let me tell you, I wouldn't move again without one. It's pretty heavy duty and has come in handy at least 100 times in the past 11 years.

I had to replace a tire due to a puncture so I replaced both with airless tires. A wee bit heavier but they'll never go flat. Even more important, they won't blow up while trying to seat a tire on the rim....when you're holding the wheel on the bench about 2" in front of your zipper. Talk about ow...

section2 likes this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Looks like the metal or plastic bits would chew up stair treads easily. Best just to let the roadies deal with it.

Hammerhands and Henry like this.
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yea, I've considered getting one of these for my amp but suspect that would ruin my stairs. They can't invent levitation fast enough!

wabash slim likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Star Trek's Transporters.

Yukimajo and Henry like this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Do they have one for spiral stair cases?

9. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Wonder how the " Stair Climbing Dolly " would work going down stairs

10. Stairs have been the downfall of musicians for years. Some literally. It’s taken me 16 years to developed a device that gets my gear up and down my basement steps when needed. I came up with three solutions. Two are my sons, 16 and 14. They finally know how to pick up, and not bang my gear into the walls and doorways. That took a long time, but worth it. The other was installing French doors in my basement leading out o the lower yard. This allows me to get my gear to my stage with out steps. The doors were not cheap to purchase and install, but less expensive than two children big enough to lift my gear.

On a separate note, stairs have maybe me consider things like fractal systems more and more.

11. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Anyone tried a dumbwaiter LOL?

12. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I own a bottled water distributorship and for many years I was carrying multiple 5 gallon bottles up and down stairs...could have used one of those!

13. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

That would seem to be a good solution, but I have seen enough stairs to know that not all stairs are the same. It all depends on when they were built. I have a dolly that works pretty good on all stairs, and a RockNRoller that it great for hauling more gear at a time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice