St. Patrick's Day and Hats

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    @Bertotti might I suggest that you are selective with the shrinking process? I am guessing that you only wish to shrink the band of the hat to fit your head and not the rest of the hat so I would say you want to wet and shrink only that area. I would suggest using cold water applied sparingly to that area and then a hair drier or similar hot air source to heat and shrink it. Alternatively, if you know someone who is handy at sewing types tasks you could have them sew a little elastic into the hatband area at the rear or even just a stitch or two to pull the band in tight.

Giving the problem some thought I can see that a 'universal' shrinking on a flat cap style hat as opposed to a Beret or Balmoral might yield some unexpected and unwanted results

Bertotti likes this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Great minds think alike. I can sew pretty good myself. I have tailored my own suits when needed in the military and you know how picky Jarheads can be. But I was thinking about adding either a strat adjustment in the back or selective shrinkage. I would much prefer a selective shrink of the band and that wouldn't mess up the top. I keep having cartoon images in my head of a little tiny hat on top of my head.

Jockabilly likes this.
  3. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    :D:D:D:D Now if that happens you definitely need to post a picture!

Bertotti likes this.
  4. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    My wife is English. But she was born on St. Patrick's Day. And... broke her ankle one night while drunk in Ireland. So we don't do green around here. :)

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
  6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice