St. Patrick's Day and Hats

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I absolutely love those Skipper caps. Reminds me of a hat I had as a kid. I wore it with the peak pointing up, trying to look like Lennon in a pic I saw of him when they first came to America.

Bertotti likes this.
  2. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Back home so now for the overdue Irish cap pic. I have a couple but this is my fave.

[​IMG]

It's true: Guinness tastes best when wearing one of these. After a while you break into a group chorus of "Fields of Athenry" and get a bit weepy.

dak55, Jockabilly and Bertotti like this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    IMG_9695.jpg Dredging up the thread. Hahaha, I got my newsboy hat wool 8 panel but it was too big so back it goes and now I have a smaller size coming. I liked it enough that I ordered to cheap cotton flat caps for summer as well. Pardon the background I was remodeling and everything is piled up but sadly I'm on a break since I threw my back out yesterday. You just have to love back spasms that fell like your bottom is trying to go zombie and attack your cranium, the body is not supposed to move that way! hahaha I laugh about it it has only been a day but I can almost walk upright now. I hit the chiro within an hour of injury so it didn't have a chance to settle into the bad position. I should be 100% in a week or two. So much for vacation and projects this week. I even finally got a dovetail jig for building cabs but I can't pick it up at the moment so that's on hold also. I took this week off just to finish my living room and cab build and speaker stand project now I am laid up. Oh well, rant off at least the meds make me happy silly goofy its all good. Even most of the pain is going away. But anywho here is the oversized newsboy hat.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  4. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Ach laddie, ye shrink a wool bunnet (hat) if it's too big :D Soak it in hot water, the hotter the more it shrinks, then either stick it on something the same size as your head or on your head itself until it dries to the right size. If it's too small you soak it in lukewarm water and do the same process to stretch it up to size.

Bertotti likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well heck, I already got the return! Noce to know and I should have thought of it myself but I wonder would the lining be all bunched up then? And the pic doesn't show it well but it was a green color! I love green! I did find a Kelly green wool bowler but they did not have my size available but when they do it will be mine! My wife doesn't know I ordered a couple light summer flat caps also they were very inexpensive so I'm sure they are from Asia or China but truth is that doesn't bother me anymore. More pics to come next week and we'll see exactly how much style I don't have! I actually have a t-shirt that says, " It's a Bertotti thing!" hahahaha

Jockabilly likes this.
  6. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Can I repost this pic?
    [​IMG]
    Awesome! :) ..and boy do I have hat pics.

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I still wear that one around! It's a collector's piece now! Hey maybe a new Nocturne hat is in the works? I'm still holding out hope for a Nocturne T to show up on the website! Blonde Tweed T with Nocture on it!

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    IMG_9700.jpg IMG_9697.jpg
    My Grandmother was a Struthers her family came from Ireland. She was doing her family tree and found out she was related to Sally Struthers but she was I think Scottish. There must be a fair bit of cross-island relationships I am guessing. I was named after her brother John whom everyone called Jack, my parents thought I would be called jack but no one ever did. I imagine it was a generational thing, they were all born in the very late 1800s. I actually have his old fedora but it is too big for me he had a large head! I have my Grandpas fedora as well it fits better but he was my size. The Brown one was my Uncle's the black my Grandpa's.

9. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Aye Struthers is a well known name in Scotland, I am actually surprised to discover it being said to be primarily an Irish name online as I don't think I have ever met an Irish person called Struthers where I have met plenty of Scots Struthers. One of the big soft drinks companies in Scotland when I was young was Struthers of Lochwinnoch and there is a Castle Struthers in Fife, Scotland as well.

Alberta_Slim and Bertotti like this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I won't do a DNA test but often wonder what genes I have for heritage reasons. I am drawn like a moth to a flame to Celtic music. I was adopted and all I was told was I am half German and half American, which means mutt or native and I look anything but Native. Good chance I have some Celtic blood though as many many years ago the Celts fought all across Europe. I read a big article on it. So since anyone can choose anything these days I choose Celtic.

Alberta_Slim and Jockabilly like this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Guinness owns a company called Kilkenny and if I have said it once I'll say it again. Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale is the most incredible ale I have ever had. I hate beer mostly but this I stuff I could live on. Sadly I haven't found anyone who sells it in the states.

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  12. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    I must admit that I am tempted to do a DNA test myself as, although there is extensive history on my mothers side going back to the 1400's in Scotland there is a lot more gaps on my fathers side with much of his family history being anecdotal. The only thing that puts me off is the fact that someone else would also have access to my indisputable genetic history as well as myself.

My wife did the test last year and I was amazed at the accuracy of the details. She is more than 99% pure Irish/Scottish Celt with a tiny amount of French which was apparently introduced around the late 1600's and amounts to 0.08% of her DNA and 0.09% German DNA introduced around the late 1700's. I have no idea how they can be so accurate. Apparently she also has relatives, connected through grandparents and great grandparents and farther back, who live in China, America, Canada and Russia that she had no idea about.

Bertotti and Alberta_Slim like this.
  13. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    @Bertotti do you know your blood type? Rhesus negative any any chance? If it is then there might be a good chance that you have Celtic origins. I'm O negative as are my family and my wife is B negative. I gather that the Rhesus negative types point to Celtic origins, or, if you believe the alien theorists, alien origins :D

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    O+, damn! Maybe Bavarian axe murder gene's?

15. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
  16. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    irish hispanic right here baby, some call us green beans. :) IMG_1410.JPG

Bertotti likes this.
  17. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
  18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    I used to play in a Celtic band. We used to play a lot in Denver on St. Paddy's Day. I kind of miss it. It could get a bit crazy.

19. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Got the small replacement but other then the name tag it is the same size. I will do as said and try some hot hot water. Got a couple of inexpensive summer hats as well.
    IMG_9725.jpg

Jockabilly likes this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice