St. Patrick's Day and Hats

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Jan 27, 2019.

1. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    K, U asked 4 it....
    227FD9D0-861A-4D9C-983F-2329026A5A27.jpeg
    Classic sunglasses over the baseball hat maneuver.

mb doug and Bertotti like this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    As would a wee dram or two of the creature....and a pint o' Guinness to wash it down.

I worked at Notre Dame and am a fan of Irish music as well.

Alberta_Slim and Bertotti like this.
  3. LATS

LATS Country Gent

Jan 3, 2010
    Kanata, Ontario
    Funny thing: Greece is the only place I've been where no one remarked on my hat...

Acropolis.jpg

mb doug, Alberta_Slim and Bertotti like this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I always wanted one of them but never bought one. Maybe someday.

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    A125B040-9058-4259-A30F-D0B62A72E78E.jpeg C6066A9D-1B35-4992-BE30-230AE7934628.jpeg Ok two more favorites, the first is a Buffalo Stetson, a very nice hat and the second is one that could cause some problems so keep in mind these are not currently for sale. I have had this one stashed for a while but decided to pull it out for this. Do not contact Tavo, @TV the Wired Turtle , to buy one he hasn’t had them for quite a while.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    We had a math teacher in 6th grade, something like 6'7" / 2m tall, jaw like a gorilla robot and could have been in the Addams family, whom no one (among us kids) had ever heard laugh. Never. Rumor had it that 10 years before us, he laughed and left his whole class crying and afraid of him, and he never laughed again. I actually really liked him. I learned a lot about being precise in my formal work from him; he's actually been a big influence in that way.

Jockabilly and JHowdy like this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    We had a hat thread but it's time for a new one. I'm became a born again hat wearer about 3 or 4 years ago.

8. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Poor soul, I'm feel sorry for him. We had a same kind of physics & chemistry teacher in high school. He too never smiled, but in his eyes. So, he too had a sense of humor, but was kind of prisoner of his reputation and didn't show it to the class.

To be honest I do smile and laugh, sometimes a lot, I just wouldn't like to smile in pictures, because :).

Alberta_Slim and Henry like this.
  9. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    @Bertotti I got two nice old 1950s fedoras from my dad and my late father-in-law, but they both had smaller heads and those hats wouldn't fit into my football size head.

Bertotti likes this.
  10. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Well OK here are a few old photos (about fifteen years ago) of me in hats. Sadly the forest green topper was just a tad too small and I gave it away, beautifully made and very expensive one it was. I loved that Fedora but it died of old age and hard use.
    Mean Fiddler BanW.JPG Topper.JPG You Want I should Play.JPG

11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    This is in Texas around 1983, still have the guitar and the hat! It's a Resistol 4X beaver.

hat and the paul.jpg

mb doug, Alberta_Slim and Bertotti like this.
  12. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Plays savage fiddle and a right handsome barsted he is too! Ladies take note! :D

Jockabilly and Bertotti like this.
  13. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Aww shucks you got me blushing :rolleyes: Unfortunately I have to say to any ladies 'taking note' that I'm spoken for and the wife is a very good shot :D

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  14. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    For those of you wanting a proper "Irish" hat, you really need a flat cap, AKA newsboy cap. I have an Irish tweed bucket hat (complete with an IRA button) that I wear for St. Paddy's Day. Keeps the rain offa me head.

I wear trucker/baseball hats in the summer mainly to keep the sun out of my eyes while driving, and off of the bald spot when in the sun. For winter, I've a flat Kangol cap (traditional British sports car cap) or a mad trapper hat for when the cold gets really bad.

Hopefully, those of you talking about fedoras aren't actually talking about stingy brim Trilbys. I like a proper fedora myself. They're handy in sunny or rainy weather, and are the traditional classic hat for gents.

I've noticed a trend where guys are wearing trucker/baseball hats pulled down over their ears. That's as bad as wearing them askew or backwards. Jeez! Learn how they're supposed to work!

Beanies are multicolored felt, and usually have a little propeller on top. The knit ones are properly called watch caps, or if they're long, toques. Neither are meant to be worn in the summer (sorry Nez). They're not even the best things for winter as the wind blows right thru them.

As this thread started of with a bowler---
    They were often the hat of choice for cowboys. Not all wore Stetsons/10 gallon hats. Those came later. Now, Stetsons seem to be the choice for people NOT involved in the cattle business.

Men used to wear dress hats. Of course, back then, they also wore suits to baseball games and for most evening occasions. JFK's refusal to wear a top hat at his inauguration signaled the end to mandatory dress hats for men.

15. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Well the Fedora I was wearing in those pictures I posted above was the genuine article. It was made in the 1950's and was a really superb hat. From research the pattern was 'Graduate Fedora' and I got it from a hat collector. Currently I have a dark brown fedora that the wife bought me to replace a forest green one that had gotten a little smelly and a very high quality Christie's fedora (without snapped brim) in navy blue with eye-catching crimson silk lining.

On my hat shelf I also have a flat cap in tweed(matched to my cashmere Savile Row sports coat and a Black Watch tartan one to match my Black Watch tartan 'frock' coat. I also have one of those Breton fishermans caps although I like to think of it as a Para Handy cap. Oh I also have Glengarrys, and Balmoral bonnets to go with my Highland Scottish attire.

I actually find it quite sad the way the proper hat has become an endangered species. I was at a funeral last week for a well regarded fellow from the town of Dunoon in Argyll and, despite there being a couple of hundred mourners, I was the only man, even taking into account the undertaker and his staff, who was wearing a hat. It is, of course a handy tool for signifying respect - removal when entering a church or when a funeral cortege passes, tipping it to the ladies or even a quick pinch of the brim in salute or when bidding someone adieu.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    In South Dakota and I have not met a cattle man who wears a bowler, they all wear cowboy hats, maybe not Stetsons there are others, or baseball caps. I often wear a cotton Tilley hat with the bigger brim just because they are so darn durable and once dirtied up I can just toss it in the laundry. Ironically enough a lot of baseball caps get washed that way as well then stuffed onto a big can or roll of paper towels to shape it.

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  17. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    The thing about the original bowler hat is that it was a 'hard' hat and so offered some crash protection when riding. The bowler was also popular in Shipyards in Scotland and Ireland for the 'gaffers' as the workers were fond of dropping rivets and other things on them when they were passing below a ship under construction and so the bowler was an early form of crash helmet.

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  18. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Well, now Stetsons are common---especially among truck drivers and people wo don't work with cattle. Back in the day, tho, bowlers were almost as common as 10 gallon hats.

19. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I've got my poor boy/newsboy cap that I've had for about 15 years. I had a fedora I bought from a haberdasher about 10 years ago when I visited Budapest but I tossed that a while ago. I never liked the fit and the brim was narrower than I'd have liked.

There are literally ZERO good places to get hats here. Newsboy
    caps and those goody fratboy "fedoras" with a 1" brim are all you find around here. :(

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I found this website but it looks like you will be ordering from Ireland. I like those patchwork caps!

https://www.irishtweeds.com/caps

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice