springs in reverb tank hot rod deville

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by ErickT94, Mar 18, 2020.

1. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    After two years I finally tried to fix the reverb in my amp. I found that the springs in the reverb tank were floating around and are not attached to the center piece. Can I fix this or do I need a new reverb tank?

2. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Just connect the springs should b easy

3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    1. do you have the sound of reverb in your amp?
    2. If you dont, what do you mean your springs are "floating around". I dont get that.. are they hanging out of the pan broken? Or are they suspended within the pan? Or is the pan with the springs suspended within, just not screwed down to the bottom of the wood cab?

MKunie likes this.
  4. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    The springs were disconnected/unclipped. One of them was pretty much almost out of the tank itself.

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Springs should only be attached at each end, at the piezo transducers, which are basically phono cartridges. The center "thing" should be a guide to keep the strings from flopping around, and the strings shouldn't be tied to it.

6. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I took the springs off completely since they were not connected to the piezo transducers. Can I just put em back on or solder them or do I need a new tank?

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    They should just hook on. If they were soldered on before, try soldering them back on. Even if it doesn't work out, new tanks aren't too pricey. Just make sure to get the right one. Part number should be on your present tank.

pilgrim likes this.
  8. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
  9. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    If the transducer and its connect to the jack is not damaged, then you should be able to easily connect the springs back into place. Understanding that the springs cannot be damaged and stretched. A brand new upgraded pan is not that expensive btw.. and if you can, get a pre asian factory accutronics. otherwise use a mod pan, which is the most durable repro made at this time.
    [​IMG]

MKunie, Echocat23 and rob batz like this.
  10. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the help bud! Gonna check it out!

11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The springs attach like a strat trem. There should be some small eyelets in the tank were the springs hook into. Sometimes they break though.

MKunie likes this.
  12. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    i thought so. one side seems like it could hook it on the other side may be broken. gonna get yall a picture asap.

Ricochet likes this.
  13. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    @Ricochet @TV the Wired Turtle check it out y’all. I must admit I’m a newbie to ever tinkering with my gear hence the lack of proper terminology and knowledge of the parts

02A030D5-AFCE-4389-9F45-C9471750836A.jpeg BE73DBD0-96B7-4319-80B8-175B26187D9A.jpeg A27320A9-E5C2-44AE-AFA7-A6C5D56E76EA.jpeg FB1A8DB4-019E-40AF-8DC8-1F8AC57173DC.jpeg D699F26A-45A7-4936-A4B3-6BE31CA25744.jpeg

14. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    The first time I opened this thing the other day I found that the springs were totally unconnected

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's toast. The piezo transducer has come apart. I'd suspect the amp took on heck of a fall. The only thing to do is to replace the tank.

16. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Country Gent

Nov 29, 2010
    Swindon UK
    Although I have heard of old Sears Roebuck type amps having piezo transducers, those in current (and most old) tanks are electromagnetic. They are still fragile though!

17. MatchlessMan

Nov 29, 2010
    Swindon UK
    Don’t forget to match the 7-character code printed or punched on the tank. The second and third characters are probably the most important as they refer to the input and output impedances.

18. MatchlessMan

Nov 29, 2010
    Swindon UK
    4EB3C1B from your photo.

19. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    a few years back I would gig alot in the Los Angeles backyard scene..sometimes the circle pit would get out of hand and people would knock over our gear, one time chipping our singers tooth lol. That must've been the culprit. kinda glad I've graduated from those gigs..thank for the help guys. Gonna get myself a new tank!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice