Sperzel locking tuners from eBay - New but opened, seems fishy

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by CalicoSkies, Dec 3, 2019 at 7:00 PM.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Electromatic

Nov 18, 2019
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Recently I bought a set of Sperzel locking tuners with backplates from eBay, intended to be intsalled on my G5420T. The eBay auction said they were new and unopened. They arrived yesterday, and it appears the plastic box had been cut open, and the tuners & accessories appear to be positioned haphazardly. I suppose they could move during shipping, but it seems odd the box is cut open. It seems a little suspicious..?

I asked the seller on eBay about it, and this was his response:
    From the photo below, it doesn't seem to be a simple crack.. The plastic box seems to have been fully cut on 3 edges, and perhaps most of the 4th.

From the eBay auction:
    NewUnopened.jpg

This is how the package arrived yesterday:
    Sperzel1.jpg
    Sperzel2.jpg

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Just guessing here, but there is no way those tuners would not spin all over during shipping since they don’t have anything to anchor them. Having said that, call Sperzel and ask if normally those tuners come restrained, such as with wire ties.

thunder58 likes this.
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Crack in shipping ? .... these do not have a pin so they " swivel " ? .... is everything in working order ?.......
    Can I sum this up in two words ........ e , bay
    ( sorry ,was never comfortable with eBay myself )

MKunie, radd and CalicoSkies like this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    If it were me, and everything was there, I’d install them and call it good.

6. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    Send him pics n explain you concerns...item not as described.. or open a complaint with eBay. They inspect conversation and pics when a case is opened. Ask for a reasonable compensation if tuners are not up to snuff....or refund. I would install and see if they hold tune and work properly ASAP.
    I had a similar prob with a 2x12 cab it was damaged and speaker had a screwdriver puncture in it. Seller said I must have done it.. eBay decided in my favor. I payed ship n got refund.. I’ll never eBay again

CalicoSkies likes this.
  7. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Bad juju there. Just send them back and demand a refund.

Henry likes this.
  8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Return it, they should pay for shipping.

9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Sperzel make nice tuners, but package design is not their forte. Looks like they came loose from the carton and the seller opened the plastic to rearrange the tuners.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  10. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    I get a lot of guitar stuff from eBay and generally it has been problem free, when a problem has arose its been sorted by the seller.
    If those tuners don't look brand new send them back for a full refund or if you are happy with them install them and move on.

T Bone and MKunie like this.
  11. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Electromatic

Nov 18, 2019
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    If that's the case, I wonder why he would try to say the package probably got cracked in shipping?

12. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Well, I wouldn't worry about the package as long as you can be sure they are Sperzel and new. If not, Ask Ebay for a return. "not as described" You will get immediate refund.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    WOW those have been customized :)

14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Looks like the standard ad copy(&paste) I’ve read a hundred of times. Maybe no malicious intent to deceive.

If it doesn’t feel right ask for a refund.

Do the tuners work ok?

15. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    If it was me, simple really. If they are undamaged and they work, I’m keeping them.

16. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Electromatic

Nov 18, 2019
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Not sure if serious or sarcasm..

I haven't installed (or had them installed yet) but plan to do so soon.
    As far as an ad copy & paste, shouldn't a seller be more diligent & careful about their item descriptions? If a package has been opened, the description shouldn't say "new & unopened". More care should be taken in the description than a simple copy & paste.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  17. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Shouldn’t they? Sure. But this is eBay and eBay is much like Craig’s List, anybody can sell there.

18. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Imo if you install them, then you shouldn't ask for a refund unless there's a defect. If you want to return them, don't touch em. They might be opened and new now, but if you install them they will simply be used.

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  19. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    Agreed!

Henry likes this.
  20. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    Life’s too short brother, seems this shte is gonna haunt you every time you look at those things...I say return em cuz pack was cut open, get some from Reputable seller and don’t look back.
    eBay is so hit n miss..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice