Sperzel Locking Tuners Can You Go Back To Grover Sta-Tites??

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by rcboals, May 16, 2019 at 9:58 AM.

1. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Anybody done this?
    Just got a G6119FT 1962 Tennessee Rose . Someone "upgraded" to Sperzel Locking Tuners so you have the screw holes from the stock Grover Sta-Tites exposed. I don't like that and prefer the vintage original look. Since it appears the holes had to be enlarged to 10mm or 25/64 and the Grovers are 8.73mm or 11/32 . Can I go back to the stock Grovers without issue and will they cover the small anchor peg on the back of the Sperzels?

Attached Files:

2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Here are the Grover Sta-Tite that I installed on my G400, instead of the "G" Gretsch original tuners :

[​IMG]

Yes, I needed to buy conversion bushings, and ream them from 6.2mm to 6.35mm. As you can see (lower right), I had to fill the holes of the previous tuning machines.

You can probably find the spec dimensions on the web to compare with your Sperzel...

A+!

A+!

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Probably not but why would you want too - because you think the vintage Grovers look better?
    Really ...... you care more about looks than function on a guitar?
    I've never heard of anyone doing this :)

Your picture looks fine to me - I can barely see the holes and no one else would unless you pointed them out.
    And .. if you do reverse the tuners you'll probably be left with new visible holes from the Sperzels

thunder58 likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I have to agree with Waxhead on this Raye . I had these tuners on my old 5120 , what a breeze to change strings . I'd leave well enough alone .

6. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    My main reason is this guitar is a re-issue of a 1962 model but with Filtertrons instead of Hilotrons G6119-1962FT. I prefer "new vintage" guitar models like this one and my Gibson 1961 reissue ES-330 to look and be as close to original as possible.

Fast string change for sure. Thread string, tighten thumb screw, then clip string. :)

I have had several guitars over the years with both Grover Sta-Tite and Sperzel locking tuners. For me tuning stability has never been an issue with any tuners even with heavy bigsby use. Most of those tuning issues are because of poor set up, improperly cut nuts, and bridges.

Thanks guys. I ordered some Sta-Tites and "conversion bushings" for 10mm holes. Hopefully, it will work and look the way I want and the Sperzel "dimple" will be covered up. If not, it will be easy enough to put the Sperzels back on. :)

thunder58 and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Exactly. I'll add to your list :" properly mounted strings, tinned at ball end, clamped at tuning post".

For the conversion bushing, have the confirmation that they are drilled to 6.35mm (1/4") otherwise you may need to redrill them to allow the Grover Sta-Tite to fit. It's what I had to do with generic conversion bushing.

A+!

8. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    The Sperzels take 10mm or 25/64 hole to install so they have been drilled out for the "upgrade" LOL IMO. The conversion bushing are for 10mm. Fingers crossed should work. I have used the conversion bushing for Kluson tuners to fit on 10mm holes in the headstock on some Asian necks.

Attached Files:

9. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Oh, yes - but I was speaking about the tuning post hole into the conversion bushing itself : mine were 6.2mm, and I had to ream them to 6.35+ mm for the Sta-Tite - fortunately with the help of a friend who owns a lathe.

A+!

10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I'd be on the same page w/ you Raye.

The vintage correct look can carry alot of weight but the main reason for me would be to get away from the 12:1 ratio on the Sperzels. The few pair I've had of them (all on G&Ls), they were great tuners but way fast for my preferences. I've never had a problem w/ feel on the 18:1 sets of Sta-tites personally and they've got the perfect gearing for my preferences. I do like the convenience of locking for string changes w/ Bigsbys but that would be the only thing I think I'd miss in the swap personally.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice