Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Sperzel Direct Replacement for Vintage Style Tuners

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by YourBlueRoom, Feb 9, 2018.

1. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah they need to publish schematics of their models like Gotoh does...

Attached Files:

Ricochet likes this.
  2. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Plus there may be some Gretsch folks out there who just want these to get the 'hot rod' look...

[​IMG]

Ricochet likes this.
  3. nmaldridge

nmaldridge Electromatic

Jan 11, 2018
    Alabama, USA
    Thanks for the info. Is this a new release that they're still integrating or a special order item?

4. bakersfield2014

bakersfield2014 Electromatic

Jul 30, 2017
    Utah
    I hope these can replace the Sta-tites. Locking tuners really make it easy to change strings with a bigsby

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

5. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Maybe I don't pay (my wife would confirm this) enough attention but why don't the makers of "replacement" tuners do a better job at identifying "drop in replacements" for the various brands out there. I don't want to ream out a hole to fit a new tuner. I don't want the screw hole from my original tuner left exposed.

I did use some GFS Gotoh style lockers on my SX strats and they dropped right in. No exposed holes. Perfect. I love locking tuners because I have cognition issues and wind my strings the wrong way and the lockers are just easy to use. They do nothing for keeping a guitar in tune other than eliminating a bad wind and string slippage because of that wind.

OK my rant...over.

6. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

I think the problem could be that there are just far to many models of guitars. Sometimes manufacturers change aspects of their product and it would be difficult to stay up on every guitar out there. I think having the tuner manufacturers listing their specific specs for their products is the best solution. That way the guitar owner can do their research regarding their guitars specs in order to confirm compatibility. That is exactly what I just did in order to purchase locking tuners for my Electromatic.

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I'm not crazy about em and they're not ever essential but............ they're just much better tuners is all.
    Sperzel and Schaller locking tuners imo
    1) keep all guitars in tune better requiring less adjustment.
    2) make bigsby's and trem systems operate better and more stable
    3) allow finer tuning adjustment of the pegs so string tuning can adjusted easier and better.

Can't speak for other brands of tuners -
    Sperzel and Schallers are the best imo and I would never consider anything else.

I don't care about vintage anything - the modern style one's look great imo :)

Mark W likes this.
  8. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    That‘s totally cool and great you love them.
    I prefer those light open back oldskool tuners and I can’t see any tuning stability advantages from locking tuners since 90% tuning issues came from poor slotted nuts.

Waxhead likes this.
  9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Locking, or not, makes little difference to me. I can get the same effect by locking back the tail of the strings and not having multiple winds on the capstan. I do prefer a higher (numeric) ratio, 18:1 or so, which seems more common in modern designs.

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    fine you'll save yourself time and money on locking tuners then :)

11. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I was not a locking tuner fan and then my kids bought me some fender locking tuners for my Tele. I must admit I really like them now, I even put some on my Electromatic. I will say it is weird not having to tune up to pitch. The Fender set up guide states to always tune down to pitch with locking tuners. I really can’t wrap my head around that concept, I still just tune up to pitch most of the time.

12. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I agree but...improper string winds also cause tuning instability and the locking tuners will help that. Again they are great for Lazy people (looking at myself in mirror).

13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I think that's most of the problem, especially with trems which won't return to pitch. Extra winds are not our friends.

14. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Ah Mark...new Kitty?

15. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Of course, proper string winds are a must!

16. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I have a feeling some of you still prefer drum brakes over disc brakes :D

Waxhead likes this.
  17. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Or maybe some prefer trucks over hot rods :cool:

radd likes this.
  18. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Oh ya....truck guy here

19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Indeed. 2 pounds of pure trouble. :)

Mark W likes this.
  20. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    We have a little black one we call kit cat but here nickname is "Shred"...if ya get the meaning.