Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Sperzel Direct Replacement for Vintage Style Tuners

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by YourBlueRoom, Feb 9, 2018.

1. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Maybe this is old news but it’s the first time I’ve ever seen these. They are not listed anywhere on the Sperzel site though there are a few sets for sale on ebay. Hopefully this will be good news for someone who owns a Gretsch with Grover Sta-Tites and wants to upgrade their tuners without having to drill or modify the guitar! I guess you’d have to email Sperzel to find out for sure if they’ll fit.

upload_2018-2-9_15-52-3.png

2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Finally! Now where can I get 10 sets?

YourBlueRoom likes this.
  3. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I went ahead and emailed Sperzel for more info on these. I'll report back once they respond.

Ricochet and gtttrrr like this.
  4. afire

afire Country Gent

If they posted dimensions somewhere, that would be helpful. Grover Sta-Tites are easy to replace with...Grover Sta-Tites. It's those old Waverly tuners that are a real bear - smaller shafts and different holes spacing from anything made today.

5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Wow. That is ultra-nice. " I WANT IT"

6. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    take all my money, all of it!

Reedlvr and nmaldridge like this.
  7. MRey

MRey Electromatic

Feb 7, 2011
    IL
    Just adding my comment to keep the topic alive...I’ll take two sets.

8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I saw 6 in a line for sale but not 3+3. What makes em vintage or drop in? No set screw?

9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    There are a couple of minor traits like a fork post or open back that are considered vintage but the major one is it indicates a post diameter smaller(9.x mm) than the modern 10mm variety.

With modern replacement tuners the old holes have to be reamed first. These Vintage Sperzels having the smaller diameter, which will, as the brochure said, drop right in.

Waxhead and Henry like this.
  10. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    From Sperzel...

Yes we are making them and have not put them on the web site yet . Any body interested should use the submit order form on our site www.sperzel.com and use the comments section to state they are for Vintage style replacements

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  11. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Order form with pictures...

Attached Files:

Ricochet likes this.
  12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    So, do these replace Sta-Tites?

13. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The order form speaks of a 8.5mm body... no measurements for the screw holes given though, so relatively drop-in. :)

14. afire

afire Country Gent

"Vintage replacements" - but what vintage tuners do they replace? Sta-Tites already have a drop-in replacements - Sta-Tites, which are still made by several manufacturers. It's the other makes, like Waverly, that don't already have readily available replacements.

15. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I also want to to know the max string gauge. Seems an ideal upgrade for my Bagjari con Tele.

16. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Hmmm. I never get why everybody's so crazy about locking tuners...:rolleyes:

BorderRadio likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Sperzel also sell non-locking versions.
    For me, I want a quality vintage looking tuner with modern production values. :)

18. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I've found the Schallers on my Hot Rod doubtful, sometimes they didn't work properly. And they're heavy! I can see the advantage of a fast string change with locking tuners...But concerning the locking effect you can get the same tight locking if you string them the right way on a vintage tuner. And vintage tuners are looking far cooler to me, at least on vintage type guitars. Those Sperzel vinatge locking system isn't really new:

Gotoh_Magnum_Lock_wheel_#2.jpg

And if you prefer a real vintage look on a Telly/Strat (here also in a staggered version):

4v7q-2s.jpg

BorderRadio, nmaldridge and Ricochet like this.
  19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    That’s pretty much where I’m coming from too. Sta-Tites are ok, but IMO, not great.

Ricochet likes this.
  20. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I asked them about the sta-tites in my email but they didn't give me an answer on that...