Speaking of dice knobs

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I’m thinking of using some of these metal dice like D20 or such to me they look great!

https://www.dieharddice.com/collections/individual-dice?page=5

There are even gem shaped dice available. I saw some tear drop gem shaped dice in a ivory color that might work on the new Fuzz Ray.

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah dice knobs look great imo but ..... for me not so practical.
    I like to know where I'm sitting on a scale of 1-10 and knobs without numbers just confuse me :D

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    D8 has a point 0n both ends. I have a corner I reference automatically and set it so all the way clockwise it is at 7oclock which is my one mark.

Henry and Waxhead like this.
  4. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I also have a 'corner' that acts like the pointer. It's with the '1' on the left and '2' on the right, with the hole for the pot shaft coming into the middle of the '4'. That makes the '3' line up to that corner and act as the '^' on a Gretsch arrow knob. I use a 3/4-inch ivory colored standard die only, for the Master volume on my 5120. I went to my local gaming/hobby shop to pick out just the right one, based on feel, weight and color.
    Dice on all the pots is overkill for my style, as I like a round smooth knob to adjust. I think anything other than round and the side of my hand/little finger wouldn't slide/glide off it enough to keep it where I wanted it. Just the one big die out there on the lower horn looks good and feels right because of its 'biggness'. Also that off white/ivory color looks good on the orange and the binding.
    But, I've never actually tried dice on all the pots, so take the above from a person too lazy to make the effort.
    Now, dice on effects pedals I'm all in!!! The Seltzerado with dice for instance. Don't have one, but if I did...

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
  6. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I've tried dice knobs on my electromatics ... to much dismay.
    I've gotten them from here...
    https://www.guitarpartsfactory.us/index.php?route=product/search&search=dice
    Jess, the general manager is REALLY helpful

I have some of the All Parts dice on my G5120 and they're acceptable. But they don't fit well on my G5232T pot shafts. When you tighten the set screw, it causes them to tilt so they aren't straight.

Jess sent out a replacement of the Gretsch Lucky 7 dice, which cost 2x as much.... and those don't fit either. The pot shafts are too short and the set screw is too high to actually touch the shaft.... huhuhuhuhuhhuhuuhuhuuh

I may just stick with the allparts dice. No one other than me can tell they're off angled.

7. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    [​IMG]
    The die is about the same size as the diameter of the stock knobs, but it does take a little getting used to. Looks white here, and probably on 99% of any camera that takes a pic of her, but she's an off-white with a little finger grease/natural age.

Bertotti likes this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I wont buy predrilled dice. I’ll buy something I like and drill and tap them myself. I know I will get the right size that way.

Zeek likes this.
  10. Buckyboy

Buckyboy Electromatic

Well technically they have numbers on them but not the kind that tell you where you are sitting between 1 and 10 :cool:

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Roll for initiative.

Any dice knobs look to be uncomfortable to use for me. They're also stereotypical, along with cheesy decals and relicing and such. If that works for you, fine. Go for it. It's just not me. Variety is the spice of life.

lp_bruce likes this.
  12. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Do I get a + for being half-elven?

Yeah, I wanted something, but all dice was a bit much and decals...I dunno. I've even seen dice on tuners. One die was enough for me. Love cowboy themes too, but not for me on my own guitars. Try and bling it up too much and I'd better be able to back it up with playing. Since the late 80's and I'm still workin' on that!
    I did take the pickguard off, if for nothing else than to expose both 'F' holes, so I'm fine with mine.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    lp_bruce likes this.
  13. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    Ha! As former DM and former owner of the original D&D kit, I chuckled.

I don't really like the dice for knobs either. Definitely not my style. But that shouldn't keep anyone else from rocking them. Different strokes.

Teledriver likes this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I don't have any on my guitars but I do plan to ditch the square ones and get some d20 or such in metal for a pedal or two.

To clarify a bit I just like the shape and aesthetics of the many-sided ie larger than a d6 dice. I think a D20 would be cool on the Seltzerado. Metal with the red to black background and all the edges silver.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  15. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Took the dice off of my G6120-SSU. They're not me and everyone would know it;)

16. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    Teledriver and larryb like this.
  17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Opposite sides of (properly made) die always add up to 7.

Bertotti and gretschbo like this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I did not know that. Is there a reason? I imagine it started with the standard cube dice and probabilities?

19. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    This only applies to cubes, though higher value die may do the same. I don't know the reason but "leveling" probability may be it.

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice