Speaker Breakin... Do You

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Zeek, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    I have a question about speaker break in. I know probably everybody's got their own way some people might not even think it needs to be done. Today I just got 30 hours on my speakers not counting a few hours of playtime I have a 30 minute Loop that I play through my amp for about 5 hours a day and I adjust the volume up and down about every 30 minutes the loop consists of three minute intervals of different musical styles rock blues jazz punk rock heavy metal metal country rockn roll R&B swing rockabilly you name it it's on there.

What process do you use if any ?

How many hours do you consider broke in?

Can you tell a difference?

Any tricks you use ?

Am I crazy an wasting my time, (Half of the question is already answered )..?

Im curious what a amp builders perspective is..

Thanks
    20191023_125938.jpg 20191023_125144a.jpg
    When I was workin on the amp , The Amp Inspector stopped buy to see my progress ....

He had no opinion on breakin but thought I was spending to much time on it .

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Perhaps member @hcsterg would be best to comment here

pmac11 and Zeek like this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I do think some speakers need more break in than others. The 1230-55 Weber’s I had sounded harsh when I got them and pulled them right away. I was set straight by Ted at the time. After some play time they did smooth out and sound great. The dope, the material used all make a difference. I think it is more noticeable on paper/fiber and doped paper/fiber materials than some of the more synthetic materials.

Sid Nitzerglobin, MKunie and G5422T like this.
  4. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Over the years when I've ordered a few Weber speakers, I've had them do a "break in" before they shipped.

Not sure if they still offer this, but the speakers sounded great right out of the box.

IMO, you're doing a good process with yours. If you're not gigging or playing regularly, it'll just help them get there quicker.

To me, new speakers are like a new car, just a little stiff, and needs some hours of running time to settle in.

Love your inspector too.

Zeek likes this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well... I never do speaker break-in o_O:oops:
    I play the amp and... One day the speaker will be broke-in ! :rolleyes:

That said, if it is for measuring the characteristics (T-S parameters) of a speaker, a break-in is compulsory, otherwise you have inconsistent results - particularly with Hi-Fi loudspeakers, and moreover if they are new.

There are several procedures, going from 50-60Hz high amplitude signal to deliver compliance to the suspensions, to frequency sweeps, and pink or white noise at different output power... IIRC, the PA speakers from the famous brand GAUSS were each tested very severely : under white noise at max rated power for 10 hours ! :eek:

Deduced from what I just wrote above for the Hi-Fi, break-in a guitar speaker is not a bad idea at all, of course.

But IMHO, playing it at different loudness levels without worrying too much is enough for us - maybe a bit longer process, yes, but definetly less a hassle : you play guitar in the meantime ! ;)

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

new6659, Waxhead, pmac11 and 4 others like this.
  6. MrMajstyk

MrMajstyk Gretschie

Dec 3, 2011
    los angeles
    I usually buy an amp when I need one, like for tomorrow’s gig, so no time for breaking it in.
    I just tweak all the controls til it sounds good, then later, re-adjust as it breaks in.

Zeek likes this.
  7. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I have not felt the need for break in with any Eminence I have bought.
    I have found that some Webers require a ton of break in. Particularly the F150 series. Some I have abandoned as they never got there for me even after factory "break in" and additional break in. Go figure. Not sure why.... but IIRC Ted told me that the F150 (C12N) was designed after the old Jensen C12n and it's amazing tone was due to very tight voice coil clearances. Unfortunately, making things perfect every time in the real world is maybe difficult!
    I sold my old C12N Weber in an amp I built because it just sounded so good! I figured "I'll just buy another". Two attempts later I gave up.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Zeek likes this.
  8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Not an amp builder, but I've run some guitar heavy music through a solid state amp into new speakers while I was going to be away from the house on several occasions. Not sure it did a bit of good but hey at least it felt like I was doing something :)

As far as amount of time required before break in, that's seemed to vary widely for me. I don't think I've had any new speaker that I felt changed significantly after 20-30 hours of actually playing through it at decent volume though (even the Webers). Some of them have sounded great and never really changed for me from installing them as brand new.

Zeek likes this.
  9. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    This has worked well for me. I don't believe in playing hours and hours of music through new speakers. The initial break-in, using the aforementioned method, is more effective and happens in significantly less time, but YMMV.

Zeek likes this.
  10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Oh, and your appointed and mandated Amp Inspector is cute and cool, @Zeek ! :)

A+!

Waxhead and Zeek like this.
  11. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I used to break them in. Various tricks and methods. But as I have grown older and played more over the years, I've kind of learned that while speakers DO change with break-in, it's not drastic (you might THINK it's drastic; to some people a 5%-10% change is drastic), but it's on the subtle side. My point being, if you don't really like a speaker out of the box, you won't really like it after it's broken-in. If you really like it when new, you will probably love it after break-in.

So now, I just turn up and play the thing.

But what I used to do was this:

On speakers with dope (I always buy no-dope speakers, I prefer hemp cones actually), I would brush acetone on the dope, then play a hip hop album (my wife's) through it, then repeat. The acetone thing is a Weber method, is helps break down/loosen up the dope so it breaks in faster. Hip-hop for the bass, which moves the speaker more. Turn the bass up, the treble down, and the volume up until you can see the cone moving with the bass hits.

Sid Nitzerglobin, Zeek and hcsterg like this.
  12. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    And they would know for sure!

Zeek likes this.
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    This Celestion method sounds good - thanks for posting.
    I'm gonna try this on my new cab to quicken the process with a V30 fitted.

I've only ever had Celestion speakers (V30, C90 Black Shadows, Creamback, V Shape, Seventy 80) and all significantly improved after a few weeks of normal playing time to break in.

ZackyDog likes this.
  14. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Thanks for all the replies.

I guess it boils down to "Does it make you sleep better." ....

At worse I am 30 hr closer to blowing them up!

I will agree, I seems no matter how long I broke in or used the stock fender speaker I've not liked it and pulled it. The one exeption would be a super champ I run my loopers through

He's a Dandy he one of those dogs you didn't plan on having just kind of ended up that way , he ran the neighborhood for awhile, He didn't have any discipline out all night gallivanting so we took him in he's super smart and a super clean dog.

His name is Flash and he is one.

I call him Philmore Flashington the 1st. All the Bi... girls call him Flash (and in a Isaac Hayes voice ) Thats A Good Thing.

My wife asks the question how can he be a 1st if he is neutered ....

I just tell her that its complicated n leave us alone.

hcsterg, Waxhead, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I love Flash, the amp inspector! Sheba only inspects guitars at the moment, she needs to step up a notch.

Zeek, Waxhead and new6659 like this.
  16. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I agree it is complicated and Flash sure looks like he's done some serious amp inspecting there :)

The only time my little guy Sprout comes near the amps is when he has a ball in his mouth and wants to play ..... and that's about x10 per day :)

[​IMG]

hcsterg, Zeek, new6659 and 1 other person like this.
  17. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Love your dog!

Zeek and Waxhead like this.
  18. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    He is a handsome man

hcsterg and Waxhead like this.
  19. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    There is a lot going on inside those dogs!

Waxhead and Zeek like this.
  20. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Everything like amps, guitars (even acoustic), speakers, etc... Is an immediate signal - at the first sight or first heard - to flee and stay at a distance of those awful quietness disturbers - for Tibou, our Old Lady Cat :

[​IMG]

She only inspects what I post on Gretsch-talk, in evening, while listening to ambient electronic music :

[​IMG]

OK, this has little to do with speaker break-in, but... :confused:;)

A+!

new6659, Zeek, Bertotti and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice