Sparkly New guitar, what d'yall think of this finish?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jockabilly, Dec 4, 2018.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I don't have any " sparkley " guitars but I do like them . I like the one your buying . I kind of reminds me somewhere between ice cream and candy . Don't know why , but it's the first thing I thought of . Enjoy your new guitar

Jockabilly likes this.
  2. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    I do love that colour, Funny I was reading an article from Reverb about Eric Clapton's guitars and what should be mentioned but his '7-Up green' signature model strat. I looked a few up online and, I would say the Fender is 7-up CAN green where this finish is 7-UP TRANSPARENT GREEN BOTTLE green complete with the impression of sparkling soda inside :D

I am not sure who makes these for Quincy but I would guess it's someone like 'Sunsmile' in China. Quality has been pretty impressive for the price based on the models I already have from Quincy but, obviously, not 'Top flight'. If I recall correctly the hardware is from the same factory that Wilkinson commission their parts from but without the branding. The guitar will likely need a little bit of set-up but, for all that I am really looking forward to that sparkly candy green folks will see that and just imagine it's playing some wild and groovy stuff without me laying a hand on it. :D

Thing I like about this brand is that, although the guitars are made on the cheap in China the people behind the company, based in UK/France specify some 'daring' finishes (Sparkles, neon colours, metallic sunbursts) and little design tweaks that are to my taste and at least a little bit of loot is going towards folks in my own land.

section2 likes this.
  3. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I wanted one of those so bad when they came out! Still do...

section2 likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yea, where are the brown sparkle guitars?!

Alberta_Slim, section2 and Jockabilly like this.
  5. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Oh I suppose that bronze and gold sparkle could be considered sort of brown :D

6. BOBP

BOBP Newbie

Nov 8, 2018
    Germantown
    Love that silver !

section2 likes this.
  7. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

I'm not in to sparkly guitars most of the time, but that white w/candy apple red 5422 that Guitar Center has is very tempting. The white sparkle is very subtle, but pretty.

7 up green with soda is the perfect description @Jockabilly !

Jockabilly likes this.
  8. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
  9. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    What about this baby?

Musikraft cocobolo neck
    Custom body
    Zhangbucker Chimecaster pickup
    Eldred 'Cocked-Wah' circuit
    Wilkinson compensated bridge

Sorry for photo quality, but you get the idea.

20181208_063625_resized.jpg

Jockabilly and Bertotti like this.
  10. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    I dig it. Reminds me of the sparkly Duesenbergs that I have been lusting after for the past hour

11. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    @Philtertronic That looks rather splendid although I am not a terribly huge fan of red, I know, I'm a little odd o_O Did you build it yourself?

The guitar arrived just about 30 minutes ago and I have to say that I am really impressed although I haven't plugged it in yet to check the electronics. The green is bright and 'deep' like exceptionally clear green candy with a delicate scattering of sparkles and there is black binding around the sides. Action is pretty dang decent. Chaps at Quincy threw in a handful of snakeskin effect straps too because I am a repeat customer and bought the case pictured along with the guitar. I am a happy bunny today :D