SPAIN: audept's Spanish adventure (no Gretsch content)

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by audept, Sep 8, 2019.

1. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    Awesome photos! I hope you can get your canon fixed in spain @audept. The Spanish used to have them on all their Galleons back in the day - so there should be a repairman somewhere ;):D but seriously I do hope you can get if fixed despite my awful Dad joke...

Wozob and audept like this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Go old school---catgut.

audept likes this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    catgut strings.jpg

wabash slim and MTurner like this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I'm assuming a bullfight is out of the question then?

[​IMG]

audept likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Wyn, after you turn on the iPhone, immediately open the Settings(the grey cogs icon) window.
    Right under Bluetooth you'll find Mobile data. Open window and you will find the option to turn off roaming or mobile data alltogether.

audept likes this.
  6. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A hole in Juan?
    Tore him a new one?
    PITA?

audept, Ricochet, Wozob and 1 other person like this.
  7. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Lol, hole in Juan.

audept likes this.
  8. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A first time tourist in Barcelona runs into some other tourists that are much more familiar with the area. They attend a bullfight, then go to a restaurant near the arena. They talk the guy into trying some "Rocky Mountain Oysters". The waiter brings out a huge steaming plate of them which they all enjoy.

A couple of years later, the first tourist returns with a group of his friends to the same restaurant after the bullfights. He orders the same delicacy for the group. This time, it's a tiny saucer instead of a huge bowl. He asks the waiter where the large plate is. The waiter responds, "Senor, sometime the bull wins."

audept and Ricochet like this.
  9. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Wyn, did you (or will you) get to Barcelona? If so, check out the Familia Sagrada Cathedral. I've only seen photos, but it looks to be amazing.

audept likes this.
  10. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    Are you still in Gerona? If so, don't miss the Jewish quarter. It's beautiful.

audept likes this.
  11. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    I'm a Nikonist myself: the technical repair service in Barcelona is in C/ Marià Cubí, 170 (closest tube station: Muntaner).

audept likes this.
  12. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    It is, because bullfights are banned in Barcelona, and all of Catalonia. Supposedly because animals are killed. But actually because of political reasons, as bullfights are Spanish and Catalonia doesn't want to be in Spain (they have kept their own traditional ways of mistreating bulls, which are just as barbaric as bullfights, so they cannot claim to be respectful of animals, only hypocrites - let's make clear I don't mind their wanting to get out of Spain, but I'd rather they didn't lie about it).

Ricochet and audept like this.
  13. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

My sister and her hubby are at their house in South East Spain at the moment (near Alicante) and they're having tornados and record levels of flash rainfall. Hope you're keeping out of it Wyn, perhaps it's a good time to stay in the bar.

audept likes this.
  14. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Got to Barcelona today, post to follow.

wabash slim likes this.
  15. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Left Girona today but we were staying near the Jewish quarter, walked through it yesterday and visited the Jewish Museum.

16. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Barcelona: Today we drove from Girona to Barcelona. Once again Mrs Audept nearly achieved escape velocity on the motorway while weaving between large trucks and ignoring the lane departure warning beeps. We arrived in Barcelona without being arrested by the Policia on the motorway and checked into our hotel, then returned the rental car to the depot at the Barcelona-Sants railway station. Mrs A spotted a Barcelona City Bus Tour double-decker bus so we climbed on board and played turistas again. Our route took us past La Sagrada Familia where I managed to take a few quick photos from the bus. We already have a guided tour of LSF booked for Saturday, anyway.
    DSCN4224.JPG DSCN4226.JPG DSCN4233.JPG
    Tonight we were recommended to eat at a great place called Mont Blanc. It's tiny and we ate at the bar sitting on bar stools. The food was very creative and excellent. We first shared a plate of marinated Tuna belly with pine nuts, then Mrs A had Stingray with parsnip puree and black garlic, I had the Steak Tartare and a few glasses of Spanish red wine that the waiter suggested. It was late, we ate at 10:15 pm and rolled out of there at 11:30.
    Heading off to bed now, tomorrow is an all-day walking/eating tour of Barcelona's best Tapas bars (according to the blogs on thheir website. So tomorrow it's up early, no breakfast and on with the most comfy walking shoes.

17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It's not because it kills animals, they kill and eat many animals; it's what they so to the animal BEFORE they kill it.

Ricochet likes this.
  18. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Had a little chuckle with the Mrs last last. We normally use Uber but in Barcelona Uber doesn't exist and another competitor named Cabify does. When you make the booking you get the usual stuff: Car make, color, and rego plate, how many minutes to arrival, and the driver's name (Manuel/Juan/whoever is coming...) Last night we got the message "Jesus is coming". Mrs A said "but it's not your time" :eek: Turns out Jesus is a 60-year old guy with white hair and glasses, kinda like me but a bit younger! :cool:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    loudnlousy, dak55, Henry and 2 others like this.
  19. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Did a guided walking food tour of the Gracia area today with just the guide, 2 of us and a pair of honeymooners from Detroit. We visited local markets (no photos allowed!!) small family restaurants specializing in Catalan food and went into a great little wine shop where a local lady came in with empty bottles and had them filled directly from the old wine barrels. The tour company was called "Culinary Backstreets", a great experience with a lot of local history knowledge thrown. Sampled a lot of fish, Iberian ham, cheese, olives, bread, wine, and a Catalan sausage/white bean breakfast (botifarra & ganxet) to start. I'm going to have to spend time on the treadmill when we get home!
    DSCN4246.JPG DSCN4248.JPG

MrAstro, Ricochet, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  20. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    There should be a way to double-like a post on G-T.

new6659, Cassotto and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice