SPAIN: audept's Spanish adventure (no Gretsch content)

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by audept, Sep 8, 2019.

1. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    When we visited the Reina Sofia back in 2017, photos were allowed (provided of course one switches the flash off). Here are a few pics.
    The inner garden, where it's allowed to smoke :), a Picasso, the Dali with a woman looking at Cadaques from her window, a Miro and a close-up of a Spanish pop-art painter (don't remember his name).

WP_20170412_004.jpg

WP_20170412_005.jpg

WP_20170412_009.jpg

WP_20170412_011.jpg

WP_20170412_025.jpg

WP_20170412_047.jpg

dak55, Waxhead, thunder58 and 2 others like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Definitely not too quick for Mrs Audept, she was holding herself back from flooring the accelerator pedal.

3. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep she's a girl in a hurry!

dak55 likes this.
  4. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Food is pretty good, but honestly I've had better at The Spanish Club in Sydney. I think we've been eating in too many tourist places.

Ricochet likes this.
  5. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Man, I love Spain. Even the crap parts are great. I can definitely see myself living there in retirement (if Brexit permits o_O).

Keep posting the photos please Wyn, every one's a knockout.

audept likes this.
  6. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Great pics! We loved Spain - we will definitely be going back!

audept likes this.
  7. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    It looks like we could do a Gretsch Together in Spain!

audept likes this.
  8. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The Spanish Roundup? :cool::)

j.s.c likes this.
  9. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Just came back from it, it's called "Compartir". It was excellent with some unusual dishes. We had a marinated Cucumber with yoghurt and Hoi Sin sauce salad, and sweet and sour octopus with smoked eggplant and baby radishes as our entrees. Main courses were Duck with Strawberries and Cinnamon, and the other was Pork Loin. I had several Moritz beers (Barcelona) to help things along. Probably the best meal so far in Spain! The steep hillside walk back up to the hotel seemed a bit steeper tonight! ;)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Beautiful shots Wyn. Thanks for sharing!

audept likes this.
  11. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    We went to the Leonard Bernstein concert in the local Santa Maria church last night. It was fantastic, the church had a lovely natural ambience for sound, not too much reverberation. As a sound guy it's a treat to hear natural unamplified instruments in a nice-sounding space. The Orchestra was quite small: Principal Soloist Violin/Musical Director, 6 more violins, 4 violas, 2 cellos, 1 bass, electric piano and drums, both played at a low level to acoustically balance with the strings. The arrangements were lovely, some of the best selections IMO. They got a well-deserved standing ovation at the end.
    IMG_6121.JPG IMG_6124.JPG IMG_6126.JPG IMG_6128.JPG IMG_6129.JPG IMG_6132.JPG

12. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    What a great trip so far! :)

audept likes this.
  13. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    Great concert, it seems! And the church seems to have been a great setting for it, both visually and acoustically. Some churches have too much reverb, but they're usually among my favourite venues for concerts. And, on top of that, they supported a charity (Cáritas) with the money they got. So by all means, a great experience, I'm sure.

You've made my mouth water with your description of the food. I think that you guessed correctly when you said you must have been eating at touristic places :D. Of course, I'm not impartial, but I think Spanish food is very good, either when it's traditional or, like in that dinner of yours, innovative. Which doesn't mean, of course, every restaurant is good, even if it's not for tourists!

Have you tried the typical breakfast of olive oil and tomato on toast? I think it's one of the best and healthiest ways to start a day. In Catalonia you will find it under the name pa amb tomàquet, bread with tomato (in the Balearic islands they call it pa amb oli, bread with oil, but in the rest of Spain -or at least in the places I know- we call it pan con tomate y aceite, bread with tomato and oil; it's the same everywhere nonetheless, though the variety I've had at the Balearic islands is non-toasted bread, which is great when you're in a hurry). I could have it nonstop.

new6659 likes this.
  14. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    You just described the standard breakfast included at our hotel here in Cadaques. I have been adding an omelette on the side most mornings!
    Tonight Compartir is not open again but they recommended to us another restaurant called "Talla". Heading off in the next half-hour.

15. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Found a great little Vineyard/Winery on top of the hill leading down to the town today. It's called Perafita, a small family-run concern with a lot of the process done by hand and all the family members chip in to help. Of course I tasted the wines and took away a great bottle of Moscatel! :cool:
    IMG_6145.JPG IMG_6157.JPG IMG_6146.JPG IMG_6152.JPG IMG_6156.JPG

16. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    We took a tour of Salvador Dali's house today, very interesting!
    IMG_6166.JPG IMG_6174.JPG IMG_6176.JPG IMG_6178.JPG IMG_6187.JPG IMG_6188.JPG IMG_6189.JPG IMG_6192.JPG IMG_6196.JPG IMG_6200.JPG

17. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  18. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Just what you'd expect from Salvador Dali's house...

Telechamp, MrAstro and audept like this.
  19. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yum, making me hungry. Glad you're having fun. Drank a lot of Moritz on my trip, many places didn't have any other options which is a bit weird for me as most places where I live have a wide range of microbrews.

audept likes this.
  20. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Thanks for sharing you wonderful trip together with us and the incredible sights and experiences. My both continue to enjoy.

audept and MrAstro like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice