SPAIN: audept's Spanish adventure (no Gretsch content)

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by audept, Sep 8, 2019.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Our trip to Spain has been interesting so far: 29 hours 40 minutes travel time from Sydney to Madrid via Dubai in Emirates sardine tins was tiring to say the least.

4 days in Madrid including arrival/recovery day was mostly taken up with museum visits to satisfy Mrs Audept’s love of art.

The Prado museum was full of famous old master paintings by Goya, Velasquez, El Greco, Titian, Reubens, the Flemish masters and the oldest known version of Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa.

The Reina Sofia museum was exhibiting modern artworks by Henrik Oleson (weird) and Miriam Cahn (downright disturbingly violent images)

Sorry no pics because we had to follow the museum rules: no photos.

2 days were taken up with the hop on/hop off City Bus Tours so we did a lot of walking and visiting Cathedrals but our primary destination the Royal Palace was closed temporarily for renovations (disappointing!)
    IMG_6028.JPG IMG_6029.JPG IMG_6046.JPG

Next came The Day of Speed. Took the fast train from Madrid to Barcelona travelling at 290 kmh (180 mph). Hired a car in Barcelona and headed out on the motorway with Mrs Audept driving at 120 kmh (75 mph) zipping between huge trucks with the lane departure warning device beeping incessantly while I juggled an iPad with GPS maps on my lap. I was terrified which only made the Mrs floor the accelerator more with a fiendish grin on her face. Somehow more by luck than judgement we arrived at our next destination in one piece despite having no Spanish language skills and making some errors at the motorway toll booths.
    IMG_6054.JPG

We arrived at Cadaques to discover that there is only one car park area in town because the streets are too narrow for cars. Parked, called the hotel and they sent a golf cart to pick us up. With the luggage on board I didn’t fit so I had to trudge along behind like the oldest and least fit Secret Service Agent in history. It was all worth it when we saw how beautiful it is here.
    IMG_6067.JPG IMG_6070.JPG IMG_6080.JPG IMG_6088.JPG

Great timing, this weekend is the local music festival. We watched a Catalan 3 piece vocal group down at the beach starting at 10pm. The main vocalist had a wonderful voice and was an excellent classical guitarist. 3 Vocal mics plus guitar, but they had a 20 channel mixer onstage and several unidentified speakers on poles along the beach. We listened for an hour and enjoyed it very much. Returned to the hotel and went to bed.
    IMG_9859.jpg

Next thing I woke up hearing extremely loud music, looked at my watch and see it’s 2:45 am. There is now a Thrash band playing. Ironically the song that woke me up was The Lion Sleeps Tonight, followed by Volare(!!), I Want to Break Free, and some other unidentifiable songs featuring amphetamine driven drumming and impressively loud and distorted bass. There was a lot of screaming in Spanish between songs which I took as “Is Everybody Having a Good Time?” :D:D

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Next day was the boat trip around the coastal inlets and coves. We stopped in one place so many of the boat passengers could dive in for a swim. Surprising because the water was icy cold. Dinner time = Paella at the local restaurant. Back to the Hotel for the usual midnight -4 am loud music, this time it’s Disco/Techno at window-shattering volume levels. Tonight it’s a 7 pm Leonard Bernstein concert performed by an orchestra in the local Cathedral nearly next door, then off to a Michelin-recommended restaurant, supposedly the best in the area.
    IMG_6093.JPG IMG_6095.JPG IMG_6098.JPG IMG_6114.JPG IMG_6116.JPG

Tomorrow it’s a small group tour (8 people) of Dali’s house and day after is the Dali Museum in Figueres and arrival in Girona. Mrs Audept will test the Spanish speed limits on the motorway again. I think I will start buying her Formula 1 computer games when we get home. :D

3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Looks absolutely beautiful Audept . Happy you and the Mrs. are enjoying it

Charlie westside and audept like this.
  4. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    Stunning pictures mate! Enjoyed reading about it too thanks!

audept likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Sounds like a hoot. Especially the 3am thrash band:D

audept likes this.
  6. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    Great! I see you're having great fun!

Only, for your information, and that of those who may be interested: I don't think you're seeing as many cathedrals as you believe. There is only one cathedral in Madrid (Almudena, just opposite the Royal Palace), and it isn't too interesting. It was finished only a few years ago, and most people don't like it inside. It was rather controversial. There was a previous cathedral, San Isidro, which stopped being so when the new one was ready in the early 1990s. Actually, there's another cathedral in Madrid, but the army's -the army have got their own priests, all of whom have also military ranks-, but most people won't remember it when thinking of Madrid's cathedrals. And you aren't likely to have seen it, either.

The first photo of Madrid is the Cybele Palace, which has been the city hall for the last few years. The second one is the Metropolis Building, the property of an insurance company. And the third one is the Ministry of Agriculture.

You may have seen many churches, convents, museums in Madrid... But, in all probability, only one cathedral at the most.

The same goes for Barcelona. The city has only got one cathedral, St. Eulalia. Not even the Sagrada Familia is a cathedral. And, for sure, the Bernstein concert isn't going to be in a cathedral. Cadaqués hasn't got one.

I don't think there are as many as one hundred cathedrals in all of Spain. Some provinces have more than one, but most have only one.

But isn't this so everywhere?

new6659 and audept like this.
  7. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    By the way, is 120 km/h too quick? Honestly curious.

audept likes this.
  8. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Is it this one?

70239730_2423208284424113_3167719808808517632_n.jpg

9. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Glad you are having such a nice time...Be safe

audept likes this.
  10. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    No, there's an earlier version with a Gretsch.

:)

Aristophon, tdtom, audept and 3 others like this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Tnx for the pics Wyn! How's the food?

audept likes this.
  12. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Great stories!!! Does Mrs. Audept drive like a Formula One driver at home? Enjoy. Looks beautiful.

audept likes this.
  13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Beautiful scenery and beautiful weather.

audept likes this.
  14. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Nope, that's the official speed limit for motorways in Spain.

audept likes this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Sounds and looks like a very enjoyable trip, Audept. Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing your impressions.

audept likes this.
  16. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    I know (and I don't think it's a high limit compared to other countries); I was just wondering why Audept was terrified when Mrs Audept drove at that speed. Maybe it wasn't because of the speed, but because of how the missus drives. :D

audept likes this.
  17. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    My guess is that it rather is the "zipping between huge trucks with the lane departure warning device beeping incessantly" part which is "too quick".

audept and Cassotto like this.
  18. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    I should have read more carefully! :D:D

(Maybe it's that I've never been inside a car with such a beeping device.)

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  19. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Lucky you. The car I rented in Portugal this summer had it. What a pita. Never proved useful (I don't sleep when driving, only in my bed) but has been many an occasion for the missus to question my driving :mad:

audept likes this.
  20. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Gorgeous, thanks! How was that restaurant?

audept likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice