Spaghetti western sound?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Wulfgang, Jun 6, 2009.

1. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    a 61 strat doesnt make that sound on its own.. you need effects. for spaghetti western fuzz a Fuzzrite is the right sound, if not THE sound.. add reverb and you got it with a detuned strat. flatwounds for your strat are a simple affordable direction instead of a 61 strat or if you cant afford to lay out cash for a good set of handwound 60s strat pickups :) FWIW.. my nocturne seltzerado was designed using my american standard strat with suhr V60s (gotta have that sixties sound :) I then put the focus on my T-armonds and filtertron'd guitars because thats what I perform with.

Its the Fuzzrite sound just with more versatility or control because a vintage fuzzrite is very noisy treble beast and very hard to use live with a drummer… or I guess I should say its hard on the audience

2. IanRhodes

IanRhodes Synchromatic

Jan 14, 2012
    OC, CA
    got me a catalinbread merkin & a seltzerado.. covered on the fuzz-rite. :) i just want a sound like the video i posted above & the guitar tone seems close to spaghetti western hence me asking here. i should have probably just started a new thread called 'how can i get this sound' since the song obv isn't spaghetti western style. my bad.

in that song in the clip it seems like such a big tone though. i could have sworn it was coming out of a hollowbody. but i think the notes are lower so if it's not a normal-scale guitar tuned down i was thinking baritone.

& that's why i bought the dano & why i might need a Bass VI.

i could be wrong but it definitely seems to me like the guitar and amp matter most after having the 'rite' fuzz(es) (har har). so far the (spaghetti western-like [imo anyway]) tone in that (actually not spaghetti western) song in that clip has been escaping me.

but a normal traditional spaghetti western tone that *isn't* necessarily similar to the one i've been asking about would be pretty damn cool as well, in addition.

thanks for the tip on the V60s tavo. geez. i have 2 strats but both have humbuckers in the bridge. :/

one is the one my dad bought me when i was 14 & it has a floyd, and the dimarzio hum has a coil tap. 3 reasons right there why i'd rather not remove the hum in that one. the second one is a Fretlight which is very valuable in inspirational playing and recording and it has amazing sustain & tone & i feel like i might miss the humbucker in it. one could say 'then play the other strat' but it's not that simple. the fretlight helps me come up with ideas & is part of my work flow.

-would a tapped hum be close enough to a normal bridge single coil? obv it's just using one coil but i don't know if that's still the same or not as if one was only using a normal single coil.

hell, if it is, i'd consider putting a tap in my fret light.

OR, could one just use 2 V60s *as* a humbucker, in that same humbucker cavity? and wire it similarly? bc if that's doable, i'd definitely consider doing that to one of the strats.

3. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
  4. Coupe deVille

Coupe deVille Electromatic

Jul 31, 2008
    USA
    How about some spaghetti fuzz?

[​IMG]

5. IanRhodes

IanRhodes Synchromatic

Jan 14, 2012
    OC, CA
    flatwounds? interesting. when i first got my country club i used thomastik-infeld flatwounds for about 6 months & they seemed really dull. they didn't sustain or seem to have that trebly sting that normal round-wound strings have. when i took them off & put some blue steels on, it got a lot closer to what i wanted..

i mean, i believe you, but.. my experience hasn't been the same. but i'm not sure if the guitar might matter then? i had them on my t-armond-equipped Country Club. maybe a strat might be different?

6. IanRhodes

IanRhodes Synchromatic

Jan 14, 2012
    OC, CA
    btw thanks tavo for the recommendation of that rio grande tallboy. i may put one of these in one of my strats just yet. :)

7. devnulljp

devnulljp Electromatic

Nov 19, 2013
    Canada
    For the fuzz, you need a Fuzzrite or a Maestro FZ-1.
    Can also be done with a Super-Fuzz on the thin sound.

8. IanRhodes

IanRhodes Synchromatic

Jan 14, 2012
    OC, CA
    would it be against the rules to repost my original question in its own thread?

9. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Ian… I just listened to the tune again and reread your post
    "the guitar comes in around 18 seconds.

i think it's a baritone. i've been told it's a dano, but i don't think it is. i bought a dano & i can't get it to sound like that. a bass vi maybe? or could the Gretsch bari get that sound? that would be awesome bc i just love gretsch & it's much more unique, but also bc it's a bit cheaper than the Bass VI. but obviously what matters first and foremost is the sound..

can you guys point me in the right direction here? is the amp situation all wrong? you guys have given fine examples of spaghetti western stuff played on teles & with filter-equipped gretsches, but remember, i want a sound like this.. and not necessarily to play in a spaghetti western style.

but i'm asking in this thread because i do think the sounds can be somewhat similar.. dark, hot, mean, stinging tone.."

Your country club with T-armonds in the bridge will work great BUT you need to put flatwounds on it and detune it so get some Thomastick 12g jazz flats.. a preamp in front helps so set your Tim pedal up with the input gain basically off with the output gain all the way up and your bass and treble turned all the way to the left (open).. slowly bring up the input gain and your T-armonds will get a big punchy sound.. dial up the Treble on the TIM to warm up the sound a tiny bit.. and then add reverb. I think you will get that exact sound.. you can also set a tremelo set fairly fast and very shallow in its depth to help this sound out more so.

If this doesnt clinch with with those AC15's I'm a monkeys uncle

10. IanRhodes

IanRhodes Synchromatic

Jan 14, 2012
    OC, CA
    damn tavo. if that works you're a damn wizard. :) i'm printing this out.

11. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I have a spectrasonic with Thomastik 11g flats. the neck is a large bobbin, big slugged single coil by TKsmith and the bridge is a split coil supertron with a blender between the coils. On its own it has a lot of twang and tight bass as its a routed alder body with a super thin spruce top but still resonant like a hollowbody.

I use the atomic just above unity gain but keep the tim on after set a bit hotter so it gives some natural compression but still delivers the woody goods punching into the reverb tank with dark bonky lows that are not muffled.
    [​IMG]

12. IanRhodes

IanRhodes Synchromatic

Jan 14, 2012
    OC, CA
    that is quite a piece. :)

i must admit i'm still confused on the flats. when i used thomastik flats they just sounded dull & thuddy.. not twangy. they didn't seem to ring. i used 12g first then 11g. i'm definitely down to try them again though.

now i'm wondering if i should buy a spring tank. right now i have a BigSky.

i read that Dick Dale hangs his spring tanks from the ceiling. would that make a big difference?

13. IanRhodes

IanRhodes Synchromatic

Jan 14, 2012
    OC, CA
    ok so apparently this song was originally written by ray davies of the Kinks, and Dave Berry first released it in 1965.

but here's another cover of it i just found:

pretty cool twangy guitar on this one as well..

dynas on this one too? or bari?

14. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    why not try dynas with detunedflats first?
    btw..
    The Dimarzio chrome flats 11s are actually thicker than the thomastiks 12s and much brighter. I have those on my TK smith telecaster..

15. IanRhodes

IanRhodes Synchromatic

Jan 14, 2012
    OC, CA
    oh i'm def trying those first. :) i was just kind of thinking onscreen about the 'verb..

D'addario? even on their site though they have a 'bright' to 'mellow' gauge type thing that chooses the strings for you & the chromes are on the mellower side..

16. pesimax

pesimax Gretschie

Jan 24, 2011
    Manchester
    Could I suggest you get a Squier Bass VI for the sound, it's been mine for about 3 months now and it sounds fantastic with some tremolo, spring reverb and fuzz.
    The best guitar for the money I've ever played. I'm planning on selling my 78' p-bass because it just doesn't get a look in anymore.

Edited: I should mention somethings I did to get it into 'gigging' order.

A bone nut was put it and popped some new pots in as when I would turn down the volume it would cut the treble by about 80%. Also just out of personal preference I tru-oiled the neck and took the gloss off the headstock.

17. IanRhodes

IanRhodes Synchromatic

Jan 14, 2012
    OC, CA
    definitely thinking of getting a Bass VI. even if i can get this sound with my country club. the bass vi does just have a cool sound to it. :)

18. pesimax

pesimax Gretschie

Jan 24, 2011
    Manchester
    I admit I can be a gear snob (at times) and was a bit worried I'd 'wasted' my money ordering a Squier. But it has surpassed my expectations. I think they might still be on backorder, but for the price of a good pedal or two it's not to be missed out on.

I brought it down to my local guitar shop to put up against a Fender pawn shop model and was shocked that the only difference in quality was the nut and the dodgy volume pot.

My favourite setting is with the strangle switch engaged through a fender Deville all tone set to 12, reverb up full and completely clean. Go past the 12th fret with just the treble pickup for a nice guitarish solo, flick both the middle and neck pickups on to bring it back down for a p-bass/baritone verse/chorus... I've set up a bluesy side project just around the squier. It's made me re-evaluate the quality of cheaper guitars.

19. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    We would need to clarify what "sound" we are talking about. I always think of the Fistfull, Few More and Good, Bad as the Spaghetti Western sound (even though they were filmed in Spain). I don't think there is fuzz until maybe Once Upon a Time in the West, but I'd have to watch it again.

Anyhow, here is the national Italian treasure that is Alessandro Alessandroni. The finest whistle ever to be recorded, is there, and then, at about 5:30 he pulls out his 61 Strat and says (in Italian) "This is the guitar I used on the recordings".

I think the Fuzzrite is one of the greatest fuzzes made, right there with the Bee Baa. But I think a 60s RCA studio and it's equipment in Rome is even better.

Anyway I hope you check this out as this guy is one of my all time heroes--music starts at just before 1:00 into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5VtS8KBDN8

20. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Once upon a Time is definitely where I'm at with that fuzz thing..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice