Soundhole feedback cover solution!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Crooner, May 15, 2018.

1. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    After much research and experimentation I was unable to find any soundhole cover that was a perfect fit for my 000-18. Ultimately, I stumbled upon the Maton guitars soundhole plug made specifically for the Maton 808 Tommy Emmanuel model acoustic. I ordered one and found it was a hair too small to snugly fit my Martin the lip did prevent it from falling in the hole. What I did next was to take black electrical tape and wind it around the outer edge until I built up enough width to create a peer seal. I trimmed off the extra tape and all seemed good, or so I thought.
    Overnight, the tape contracted and slipped off the soundhole cover. I re-applied the tape but this happened several times. Ultimately, I took the ring of tape off and stretched it out so I could slip it back on and then drilled small holes along the edge and then put small screws through each hole and secured them with crazy glue.
    Next, I took heavy duty velcro and attached my iRig Acoustic Stage pickup to the back of the cover threaded the cable out through the front. The result? Perfecto! Now I can gig live at high volume without feedback.
    I'd still like to find some place that could make me a custom cover, but in the meantime, this does the trick.

IMG_5618.jpg IMG_5622.jpg IMG_5624.JPG IMG_5617.jpg IMG_5626.JPG

gtttrrr likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Cool. What are the screws for?

Have you tried Doug's plugs?

3. Mjb11800

Mjb11800 Gretschie

May 7, 2018
    Johnson city
    What about getting it 3d printed?

4. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Have you thought about any of the Fishman pickups ?

5. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Sorry, but I don't really get it.

Does your post mean that you've modded the Martin? Or the Maton?

Regards,

Russ

6. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    The scews are needed to keep the tape from contacting and slipping off the edge of the plug. This happened three times until I had the idea of securing the tape with the screws.

What are Doug's Plugs? Nevermind... just checked them out. I shall e-mail them and ask if they can make a soundhole plug for me. Thanks.

Where would I go for that and do you think a firm that does such work would do a small run for low fees?

7. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Hey Rich. I'm not fan of Fishman pickups. They sound overly "quaky" to me. Ironically, quacky under saddle pickups do tend to work well when using IRs to get a full acoustic sound. That being said, the LR Baggs Anthem would work with IRs is I dial out the mic and just use the under saddle.
    Have you used any Fishman models that you like? Do tell!

thunder58 likes this.
  8. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Sorry if I was unclear... I modded the Maton soundhole plug so it would fit my Martin and secure the iRig pickup inside the guitar and eliminate feedback. My Martin currently remains un-modified. The Maton plug was the closest fit I was able to find in a ready made plug.

russmack likes this.
  9. Mjb11800

Mjb11800 Gretschie

May 7, 2018
    Johnson city
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Actually , never used any Fishman products ( pickups that is ) besides trying their amps ( loudbox ) Let me rephrase my question .
    Have you tried a pickup system instead of the soundhole plug ?

11. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Cool. Good to know.
    I did e-mail Doug's Plugs and got a reply saying they can custom make soundhole plugs! They even thought to ask if I need cutouts for possible pickup controls beside in the soundhole. Definitely gonna try them.

Mjb11800 likes this.
  12. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I have, and while I've not been thrilled by the ones I've personally tried, the main issue is that I'm a firm believer that *any* acoustic with a pickup *must* use a soundhole plug if one intends to play live at a respectable volume. If you're playing a small venue alone, you might get away without a plug, but if you're competing with drums or electric instruments for volume, you'll be fighting feedback all night if you don't seal that hole.

I started using the iRig Stage because I needed a pickup fast and didn't want to do anything permanent to my Martin. IK Multimedia claims that the iRig's feedback control button will do the trick, but it's so microphonic it picks up everything. Even taking a standard soundhole plug and cutting out a notch in it to accommodate the iRig and make the plug fit in my Martin, the little bit of space not sealed allowed feedback to start. Using velcro to hold the iRig in place on the back of the plug was something I wasn't sure was going to work, but luckily, it did.

thunder58 likes this.
  13. Mjb11800

Mjb11800 Gretschie

May 7, 2018
    Johnson city
    Excellent, that’s great news :)
    I could probably make the CAD files for you if they need need them.

Ricochet likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Great. Hope it works out.

15. Mjb11800

Mjb11800 Gretschie

May 7, 2018
    Johnson city
    Oh sorry I misread your response, you won’t be needing any CAD files!
    Glad you got it sorted. :)

16. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    They said I could send them a "rub out" (I'm refraining from alternative interpretations, folks,) but who knows, a CAD file might be needed, so if it's cool with you, I might retain the right to ask for your help if needed. :)

Mjb11800 likes this.
  17. Mjb11800

Mjb11800 Gretschie

May 7, 2018
    Johnson city
    Lol thats an unusual request.
    Certainly. Just gimme a shout and i’ll create it for you.. no worries.

18. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    I'm guessing I only have half as much feed back cause half a plug works just fine.:)

[​IMG]

thunder58 likes this.