SOS mmmmmmm!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was in the Marines my dad was air force during Korean War but he was stationed in Germany. I was there in the mid 80’s for around 7-8 weeks. In YeChon. We bullied next to the RoK Marines on their airbase.

wabash slim likes this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    How about a hint. My son wants a cherry pie instead of a cake for his birthday tomorrow. He’s a bit down because he can’t see his friends for his birthday so I said ok.

3. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    The Navy had a rep for good. So I joined the Navy.:p Steak and eggs on the mess decks for midwatch!

Bertotti likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Do you have a good recipe? I want to stock some canned goods but corned beef is just about the only thing I can get over here, and I’m not a big fan.
    Did I just ask for a recipe? Ah well guess I did. :D

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The sos above was store bought. The jars contain home rendered lard. Since I’m making cherry pies I decided to make my own lard. I think they are the best crusts on the world when made with your own home made lard.

new6659 and MTurner like this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    And I always thought that there are more similarities between European and American food than with Chinese food...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Bertotti likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well, good thing I have a yellow cake mix because the bag of flour was full of weevils! I might try the store for a bag of flour. but locally it was all gone.

9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    My dad was in the army in WWII and I was told about this when I was perceived as old enough to cuss. Little did he know I had developed quite the vocabulary already.

wabash slim and Bertotti like this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    For anyone wanting to try it it is best to make your own and use real chopped roast beef don’t cheap out with hamburger! We have a local meat locker with good prices that will sell bags of chipped beef so you can make your own but sadly it rarely makes it past a nice snack bag stage.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My wife and her sisters each learned something special from their Mom. One learned to sew, another learned to can. My wife learned to bake. That's why neither of us is "Slim" anymore. Lard is the secret to the perfect pie crust, apparently.

Of course. Much of America came from Europe. There's a large population from Africa, as well as other places. Asia is represented as well. Italians got noodles from China, thanks to Marco Polo. As the US is a melting pot, we do get a fairly wide variety of eats.
    It's CHIPPED beef. The gravy is the same as in B&G, just the meat and breadstuff it rides on has changed.

12. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I think it's awesome your Dad coked that for the family. That said, for me, not on a dare. :eek:

13. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    YASSS! SOS is on my cooking radar within the next week, been a few years....:):)

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Tes chipped beef auto-correct on my phone got the best of me. As for pie crusts, if you want one like grandma made it was home rendered lard not store-bought completely different taste and texture and butter. The recipe I used this morning is 13 TBS of butter and 8 of lard. I had to run to town for flower, 23 miles away because here it is sold out. And what I had was full of the nice plum yellow worms, weevils, the fattest ones I've seen!

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's protein!

Bertotti likes this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    It is but I'm not nearly hungry enough to knowingly eat it yet!

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Done but I’m not sure I shouldn’t have baked it a little longer. I haven’t scratch made a cherry pie before. But it has about 25 minutes in at 425F. Happy Birthday Connor!

F872476C-88F8-4644-9CA0-FC1016D6DA6E.jpeg

new6659 likes this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Save me a piece!
    Next time, make an apple pie!

Bertotti likes this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I would prefer Apple but it was my sons request, his birthday he picks. I’m actually wanting to make some apple dumplings!

dougmon likes this.
  20. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Cherry and apple are my favorites! grew up in apple country. Johnny "Appleseed" Chapman is buried in Northern Indiana in Fort Wayne (where Sweetwater is). N Indiana and Southern Michigan are covered with orchards. We get real cider---not apple juice. I've never come across anything made with apples that I didn't like. Here's a recipe for an apple drink we have at Fall reenactments----

"GOOD"
    1 gl. apple cider
    1 pint apple schnapps
    1 pint cinnamon schnapps
    6 cinnamon sticks

Combine it all in a 1-1/2 gal crockery jug
    keep the jug near the woodstove, fireplace or campfire, turning the jug every ten minutes to slowly warm the contents
    serve when warm

The response everyone says when they have their first sip is, "Oh, that's good!", hence the name. Tastes like wet warm apple pie---with a kick.

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice