Sorry I've been quiet

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Armygirl, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Hiya chaps. Sorry I've been a bit quiet. Thanks so much for the DMs I've had asking if I’m OK. Not many members of any forum would do that. Shows you way a fab one this is.

Anyway I think the last thing I mentioned was that my little 17 year old Ragdoll cat, Flo passed away from a lung tumour. Unfortunately, her big brother Dylan ,18, only lasted three weeks without her. We had spent his last day scattering her ashes in my favourite spot in the Highlands, we had had a lovely chilled night cuddling on the sofa and, by the time is changed for bed, he'd gone... just like that. I was heartbroken.

Of course I was never having another pet ever, as the pain was just too much. That was until I came home every night to an empty house (albeit free from masses of fluff!), which was absolutely dismal. There was just no heart to it.

My pal sent me a link to a cat rescue and I didn't look at it for ages because I couldn't bear it. But, when I did, I found this wee fella. He'd been a stray for a year and had been using his gorgeous wee face to get fed about 100 times a day and was found ill and was handed in to the rescue shelter. Turns out has got congestive heart failure... for a cat of around 5, that's extremely unlucky, but lucky for him that he was handed in.

I'm a sucker for the underdog (undercat?) And no one else would take him on, with the vet care he'll need all his life, so I've now got him as my wee best pal, for however long he has. That could be a couple of years. I now have my second job back again, as a cat accommodation and catering manger, not to mention nurse and medication administrator to Dougal. He's a Ragdoll cross and eats like flaming Labrador.... I have had a cuddly cat toy just like him for years, so it was clearly meant to be! A week in, and were doing fine. He's terrified of acoustic guitars though.... even when I'm not playing them. Doesn't mind electric one bit. Gorgeous little weirdo....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. SWoody

SWoody Electromatic

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    ADORABLE!!!

Armygirl likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Sorry about your cats. I have six and love them all and although I might be a crusty or Marine when my cat dies I die a bit more. Stray find me and just wander in so naturally, I keep them. That last pic is priceless that cat looks so content to rule your home! Like a spoiled king, "come here human, now you will serve me, your feline overlord!"

mrfixitmi and Armygirl like this.
  4. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

I love happy endings!

Armygirl likes this.
  5. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Yeah, he looks like he rules the roost already...

Armygirl likes this.
  6. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Happy to hear about your new one.

Perhaps you remember the cat. He has no name and I've had him for over 18 years now and he's starting to show signs that he's faltering :(

This was a year ago when his eyes were a lot clearer than they are today.
    IMG_5611.jpeg

7. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Thanks guys. Dave, the cat is a stunner. My Dylan was getting really frail but was still mobile and happy. I’m just glad he didn’t linger. I scattered his ashes with Flo’s and I planted some Heather on the spot as a wee memorial. I’m still sat and I always will be but this wee chap is helping a lot. X

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Dougal has found his place in life. You will be very happy together.
    Welcome to the forum, Dougal!
    welcome mat cool cats.jpg

drmilktruck and Armygirl like this.
  9. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    These are the heathers i planted on the spot their ashes are scattered. One each for Dylan and Flo from me and the little purple one is from my pal Celia. The other picture is the fire from the spot. It’s my favourite place to sit and have my sandwiches when I’m out walking, so now I can visit them while stuffing my face and drinking in this glorious vista.... [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I am SO allergic to cats which is tragic because I think they are SO beautiful!

Armygirl likes this.
  11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I love to have you around, Martine.

Armygirl likes this.
  12. dak55

dak55 Gretschie

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    That's a tough emotional road you've been on. Hoping Dougal hangs with you for many more years.

Armygirl likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    What beautiful countryside! I was thinking about heather just a few days ago. I want to research and see if ti will grow where I live.

Armygirl likes this.
  14. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    It needs acidic soil and it will grow pretty much anywhere... you see then growing in between boulders in places with the harshest weather. They are so lovely and you can get such amazing xoulors these days x

Bertotti likes this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    IMG_9093 (2).jpg
    My area is quite harsh. I'm already down to 16 degrees F and it will get down to -35F in no time. My soil is also mostly clay but if I can grow it here it will look right at home. I also keep my friends close, I have six cats and a dog buried at this tree line to the left.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    MotorCentaur, benjwri and Armygirl like this.
  16. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    That'll do nicely!!

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I edited my post but you are fast and replied before I finished. We now have snow not just morning frost. And my neighbors are really friendly but very wealthy as well. They however like living out here with country people. That house is huge though! Huge!

Armygirl likes this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Englishman God bless your little buddy.

Armygirl likes this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Martine, I lost my Great Pyrenees/Labrador at the end of summer. I lost my deaf cat a year earlier. At present, we've still got our old cat, the Dowager Empress Lilian, and just acquired two maniac kittens, Luke and Leia (brother and sister---go figure) and will have another by the end of the month. I can't have another dog due to my health (more's the pity---a dog won't let you cry), so we have cats.

A puppy or kitten is the best way of getting over one that's gone on. Hopefully, they'll all be waiting for us over the Rainbow Bridge. That might be nonsense, but it is a comfort.

The only negative to having a pet is when they leave.

Armygirl and pmac11 like this.
  20. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

It's good to see you're back, although I'm sorry to hear about the death of your 2 cats. I know the grief, and I know the silence in the house. Good for you that you rescued a cat to help yourself heal.

Armygirl likes this.