Sometimes you just gotta spend 25 bucks!

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Pop1655, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Pop1655

Pop1655 Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    Always fearful of waking up “that guy” who lurks in cyberspace waiting to pounce on a poor rookie who asks the wrong question with that famous “use the search feature”, I’ve dutifully done that to avoid embarrassment. Some topics you can search and read about till your eyes don’t work and you still end up knowing less than you did when you started.

Sometimes you’ve just gotta spend 25 bucks!! :p :)

F00C2D49-FF64-418E-920A-941275FC27DF.jpeg

My new 5420 will know soon enough!
    Looking forward to the experiment.

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The lower three strings of that set are on at least two of my guitars and the next thicker set is used on a couple more. TI Jazz Swings are amazing strings and last a long time.

3. Hope you like them. I think they make a great product. Had them on my hot rod a few times, but i had to take them off to get a slightly different sound for a recording, and gig,l so it hurt take them off at 25 bucks a set. I think i payed more.

Pop1655 and DannyB like this.
  4. Pop1655

Pop1655 Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    They definitely seem to be one of those “there is no right answer”. They’re either your thing or they’re not. Nobody’s right, nobody’s wrong. I’m looking forward to finding out. I don’t really know or care what my final answer will be. Just curious to see.

I will say, I’ve got other nice guitars to do other things. The 5420’s job is to serve as that full hollow clean rhythm sound. Amplified acoustic is an overstatement, but something in that general direction.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Amplified acoustic is a contradiction in terms.

6. Pop1655

Pop1655 Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    I’m very sorry. I’ll go do an edit and say an acoustic with a factory pickup that you run through an amp.

Hammerhead and wabash slim like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Sorry. It's one of those incongruities of the English language that just gets to me. It's nowhere near as bad as listening to the vast majority of newscasters butcher the language.

Sabato and Pop1655 like this.
  8. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    Mmmmm, mmmm, mM! Loves me some T-Is!

Play 'em in good health!

Pop1655 likes this.
  9. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    I use flatwounds on all my guitars. I use JS-110's on my Gretsch's (including a 5420 like yours) and Pyramid flatwounds on my Telecaster. I like 'em! :- ) Interested to hear your take on 'em.

Axis39 and Pop1655 like this.
  10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Good choice, I've loved these on my '56 Streamliner and Galaxie at any rate.

emitex and Pop1655 like this.
  11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    These are my regular strings on all.my guitars except I use unwound G / .019, although I might try the wound one next string change as it's been a couple years. I buy the unwound G separately.

12. Pop1655

Pop1655 Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    I bet I would like that. Thanks

emitex and Henry like this.
  13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I use a 10, 13, and 17 up top with the 47, 35 and 25 flat-wounds on the bottom. Its a very favorable compromise for my needs.

emitex, Pop1655 and Henry like this.
  14. Pop1655

Pop1655 Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    Y’all aren’t making this any easier! :D
    I’m gonna go broke trying all these options.

pmac11 likes this.
  15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    What I do, is order from Strings by Mail. I order the bottom three flat wounds, then I buy the upper strings separately. TIs last a long time, so you’ll replace the upper strings several times before the lowers give out.

16. Pop1655

Pop1655 Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    This is really good info. I appreciate it. I really like hearing that what I’m about to try is not the end all or a pass/fail kind of thing. I may love it, or it may just be the first step in the journey.

17. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    The thing I’ve always liked about trying strings is that a) they’re cheap, at least relatively. For the price of a decent pedal you can try a bunch of strings and b) they’re just about the most easily reversible mod there is.

Every once in a while I go on a string odyssey where I take some money and buy a bunch of strings I haven’t tried yet and see if I find something that dethrones my current fave.

pmac11 and Pop1655 like this.
  18. afire

afire Country Gent

19. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Love the TIs on my Jaguar, been meaning to try them on my 5420 too.

20. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Synchro - Sincere question...I’m curious what you get out of 25,35 & 47 on the bottom as opposed to 26,36 & 46 which would complete a standard 10-46 set. Is it because the bottoms are flats?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice