Some Gretsch Heavy Music!

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by Rob_Brindley, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Electromatic

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Thank you! Canada is definitely on my 'to do' list. Playing there would be even better!

2. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Love it, Rob! Thank you so much for sharing. Great stuff you're doing.

I'm not at all new to guitar playing, but I am new to Gretsch guitars.

The tone you had when doing the lead fills on "Get It While You Can" are exactly what I'm looking for from a Gretsch sound!

Was that the 6120-60 on those fills?

What pickups are in that guitar? Just awesome tones you're making, man!

(I'm trying to decide what Gretsch to buy, with what pickups.)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  3. Rob_Brindley

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Thank you :) Yes, it was the 6120-60 used on that track for the lead parts. Neck pickup for the little lead fills and bridge pickup for my main solo. It has the standard Gretsch filtertrons fitted, gauge 10 strings but I think the biggest difference is the 0 fret - that really seems to make a difference.

I usually run through a Line 6 POD HD500 with just a little slapback, compression and drive on there. And the amp used was a Peavey Delta Blues

DHart likes this.
  4. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Thanks Rob for the info. The zero fret is something I'm not familiar with - need to look into that. You find it has a significant impact on your tone?

I'm a big fan of using the neck pickup for lead tones - provided it gives a clean, articulate, sparkly tone! You sure get that out of your 6120 with the Gretsch Filter'tron at the neck. Awesome sound.

The Line 6 POD serves you quite well also!

Myself, I usually run a clean amp setting, always with a bit of reverb and some compression, and that's about it (little, if any drive). Playing Teles mostly, with bright, low-wind neck pickups ranging from Tele to Firebird to Mini Humbucker, at the neck. I do tend to bump the resistance on my volume pots (500k to 900k, depending on the guitar's inherent tone) and use no-load tone pots to allow the sparkly highs to come through from those pickups. I'm not a "warm-tone"pickup fan at all. Clean and bright for me with, perhaps, just a slight touch of edge.

I'm a bit crazy about tone (as many of us are!) and you sure get an awesome tone!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  5. Rob_Brindley

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Thank you :) The zero fret is a strange thing. I know Setzer removes them from all his guitars as he really doesn't like them! For me, we have a 6120DE, 6120W57, 6120SH, 6120AM and the 6120-60. The -60 is sounds noticeably different from the rest. It's just has this whole warmer almost harmonic over tone to everything you play on it. It's the only one of the 5 that has the zero fret so I'm thinking it must be that... The 6120AM is almost identical apart from the missing zero fret, but it sounds nothing like it.

One other thing that does appear to make a massive difference to a Gretsch, at least in my opinion, is string gauge. I'm quite a heavy player. Accurate, but I do dig - particularly when playing live. With the pro series guitars having floating bridges, I've found that I have to use quite heavy strings (11-54) to keep the bridge in place. Without them, I'm knocking strings out of the saddles or the bridge is moving around the body etc... The 6120-60 is the only one that we don't gig at all so it has stayed with a set of 10s on. It's one of the nicest playing guitars I've ever played!

We've also found that the type of bridge you're using changes the sound quite a lot too. Because of the issue I mentioned above, I usually swap most of my bridges to either the Tru-Arc Rocking Bar bridge or the Compton Bridge (Can't knock strings off the saddles if there are no saddles, right?). But this does have a huge impact on the tone. It's worth buying a couple of bridges if they come up on ebay at the right price and experimenting with them to find the one that you like...

The Line 6 POD is a great piece of kit! Very nice to have one set up that I can take out with any guitar and any band that I'm with at the time. I've had a few people look at me like I was mad when I turn up at a rockabilly gig with a digital Line 6 effects box and a big Blackstar amp... It's funny how so many people on that scene are so set in their ways that you have to have an original 50s/60s Gretsch and this amp and these pedals and these clothes and these shoes yadda, yadda yadda… I'm interested in sound. I get the sound I want from the Line 6 POD and I've found the Blackstar amp has the best, purest clean sound of any amp I've ever used. It gives me the perfect base for the POD to work from. The amount of people who have seen us play, come up to us after and can't believe I'm getting the traditional sound from this modern gear... It's just about knowing your gear and how to work with it.

The last thing, I'm a big believer that 70% of your tone comes from your hands. You could give my set up to Brian Setzer and it would sound totally different to how it sounds when I play it - and vice versa. I know I'm quite a heavy player - I pick cleanly and firmly. I don't really give the guitar a lot of choice about being sparkly :p Here's a couple of demo videos for you...

The 6120-60:
    Zero Fret, Gauge 10 Strings, Mud Switch, Roller Spacer Bridge, 2.5" deep body.

The 6120DE:
    No Zero Fret, Gauge 11 Strings, Tone Knob, Tru-Arc Bridge, 2.75" deep body.

Rob

DHart likes this.
  6. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Thanks, man! I appreciate hearing your experience with these instruments.

Yes, indeed, a totally different tone you're getting on those last two videos vs. your fills on "Get It While You Can." Those tones on the fills sure sounded wonderful to my ears.

7. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Great stuff. Now let's set up a USA tour. I am all in.

8. Rob_Brindley

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    We can dream! Honestly, we'd love to come over to the US at somepoint in the future, but I think we really need to start playing around Europe before that's a realistic possibility. Maybe one day though... I think our only realistic chance is the VLV festival and then, if that happened, we might be able to get a couple of gigs off the back of that whilst we're over there. We'll keep trying!

johnny g likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice