Join Gretsch-Talk Today

So with the Broadkasters....will Panthers.....

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TSims1, Mar 19, 2017.

1. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    One presumes that if they are still in the collection, they are one of the best. Which is the worst?

audept likes this.
  2. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I don't want to be gloomy, but I can't see the marketing logic that would have them keep the Panther. Broadkaster has several versions and sort of calls back to classic Gretsch days when the word Broadkaster referred to an early product. Panther shows just one version right now. If it sells well enough, they would keep it. But Broadkaster might be a "reissue" of the Panther. I don't like tension roller Bigsbys.

TSims1 likes this.
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

This seems probable to me, but what do I know?

4. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I already moved on the ones I could bear to part with. Even the category of "least-best" is very small. There is a Historic that should be feeling uneasy right now because it's one of the last 5-ply tops I have left.

5. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    We can only hope. Within my next two guitars, one would have been a Panther.

6. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Rocky at Streetsounds has White & Black Panthers up on Ebay for $1599 right now!

7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Yes, Mr. Aymara.

8. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    That might be the marketing idea, but when comparing the specs, the double cut center block Falcon is the most similar model, not the Broadcaster, which is a totally different guitar, except the body shape.

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/...ble-cut-with-bigsby-filter-tron-pickups-white

I compared these two and decided for the less expensive and better sounding Panther.

PS: The Falcon sounded a bit colder, which I found astonishing, because the only differences are f-hole binding, f-hole and headstock size and the fretboard wood.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    No two guitars are identical. You were most likely hearing differences in set-up or minor variances in the construction or electronics of the two guitars.

Waxhead likes this.
  10. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Sure, but the two Panthers I compared, though different neck thickness was noticable, sounded pretty identical to me. The Falcon though much colder. It would have been interesting to compare to a second Falcon, but that wasn't possible.

Playability of both models was nearly identical, but the Panther sounded superb for a much lower price, so I chose the cat ... though I bet, that many players would like the looks of the Falcon more, especially with silver binding and hardware.

Fact is the DC CB Falcon (not the new Broadkaster) is the closest competitor to the Panther and that's the main point I was up to.

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok I forgot Chris :) - so with no testing of these fulltron pups how can anyone say that Broadkaster is better then a Panther ??

And if they turn out to be inferior to the HS Filters then Panther will be a better guitar imo.
    So juries currently out on that I think :)

12. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Did anybody say that the Broadcaster is superior? I said the opposite, mainly because of the Bigsby ;) And only Eman said, that the new bridge concept might result in better resonance. Most others complained about the "new" Bigsby.

As far as I can see, we only have a GUESS, that Panther sales MIGHT be unsatifactory for Gretsch and that it MIGHT be discontinued after the release of the Broadcasters.

I think we should stop comparing the Panther with the Broadcaster, because they are totally different besides the body shape. As I said before, in my opinion it makes much more sense to compare it to the DC CB Falcon, which is much more similar to the Panther.

13. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Since no one played a Broadkaster no one knows if it's a good/bad guitar. But many guys like the classic Gibby-ES style (not me, I prefer Kim Kardashian bodies on Guitars).

Trash Kidd likes this.
  14. Gretsch6120

Gretsch6120 Gretschie

Mar 7, 2010
    Kingston Ontario Canada
    The Broadkaster is the guitar I've been waiting for Gretsch to make. I think they really hit it out of the park with this guitar. I'm going to order one. Panthers are cool but the input on the front of the guitar is a turn off for me, its not a Gretsch thing, its another G brand thing. Now one can say that the Broadkaster is the a 335 with a Gretsch headstock, perhaps but the tone and feel will be all Gretsch. Personally I like the tension bar on the bigsby, I have one on my Guild Starfire and it holds everything in place, the Guild has a non fixed bridge, and I've always liked the feel of it. Time will tell and the consumer will dictate if it likes or hates the Broadkaster, I think it has a lot of strong points. I'm interested in the pickups, I like the different magnets used in them for the neck and the bridge. I'm excited to play one of these!

Henry likes this.
  15. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    A tension bar Bigsby is never better than a non in my opinion. On my Guild Starfire, I bypass the tension bar.

audept, Waxhead and nickurso like this.
  16. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That's an interesting and true point that I hadn't considered. I would still prefer the Panther myself.

17. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Insane... €3000 over here. Even with import tax that is a 1000 dollar saving.

audept likes this.
  18. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Yes, Thomann has the Panther listed for 2898€. But I remember, that a few months back it was even 3300€, which is even more insane, when remembering the release price of 2798€.

19. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I wonder what "Fulltron" means...? Is it going to be voiced more like a traditional humbucker? If so, that would definitely be a step away from what I like about Gretsch.

Waxhead likes this.
  20. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Beautiful mint guitars - but used, not new. Just FYI for those getting upset at Euro pricing :)