Join Gretsch-Talk Today

So with the Broadkasters....will Panthers.....

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TSims1, Mar 19, 2017.

1. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    So now that they have the Broadkasters........I'm wondering if they intend to discontinue the Panthers...?

The reason I ask is because a friend of mine was looking online at Panther's after telling him about mine and he sent me a couple of "this item is no longer available" links(including Sweetwater)that got me scratching my head in wonder. That paired with the recent release of the Broadkaster which is a very similar has me asking the question. Anyone got any info on this? Maybe I'm totally making this up. :)

2. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Mmh ... I don't think, that the Panther will be discontinued for three reasons:

1. it's still listed on the Gretsch website
    2. Germany's largest shop Thomann has is listed with a green status, that means, they have more than one in stock
    3. it's in my opinion much superior to the slightly cheaper Broadcaster

So I would guess, it's a temporary shortage, that you noticed.

Check out Musician's Friend ... they list it as unavailable, not "no longer available":
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gretsch-guitars-g6137tcb-black-panther-center-block

But Zzounds list it as "no longer available":
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--GRE2400600

If Gretsch should really discontinue it ... sorry, but that would be the wrong decision, absolutely idiotic. But if ... our Panthers will definitely raise in value, because it's one of the best Gretsches of all time!

TSims1 likes this.
  3. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    TSims1 likes this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    See what I'm saying? Kinda feels like they wanna push the Broadkasters, and the Panther is a direct competitor. I wonder if these are on the way out already? Glad I got mine now. And again - I have NO information to base this on......I'm just guessing/wondering......

Lizardkinged likes this.
  5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    ...discontinued at Bax, only 2.3k at musicstore. I guess you're right, Tim.

6. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    A further argument, that the Panther will NOT be discontinued:

Why should they produce an official NAMM 2017 Panther video, when they plan to replace it with the Broadcaster two months later? That makes no sense. So I guess, it's a temporary shortage in the US mainly.

A further argument for this thesis ... Bax Shop UK has it listed with a delivery time of 11 days ... so they order it, when there is demand.

Henry and TSims1 like this.
  7. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
  8. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    But fact is ... whoever plans to get a Panther should buy NOW ... just to be on the safe side.

9. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada

I wondered that myself, noticed the same things.

TSims1 likes this.
  10. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    FMIC are famous for not announcing the end of model line, probably so as to ensure the leftovers get sold. Case in point is the 5622, we get the 'clue' that the three pickup one is going away because it has the same model number.
    The Broadkasters look good EXCEPT for the tension bar Bigsby, we have to presume they are too thin or have too straight a neck angle to support a B6.

11. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    That absolutely makes sense, but why then produce a NAMM 2017 video for the Panther? That makes no sense at all, right?

12. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Anyone have a picture of the broadkaster? I haven't seen one yet and didn't come up with anything on line

TSims1 likes this.
  13. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    As long as the Panther isn't a bestseller and if they'd like to get rid of them that makes totally sense to me.

14. Leftovermatt

Leftovermatt Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Tacoma, wa
    nickurso likes this.
  15. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Thomann in Germany have it already listed:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gretsch_g6609tg_pe_broadcaster_dccg.htm

Worse Bigsby and because of that no wooden bridge base, ebony instead of rosewood fretboard, Ful'tron instead of HS Filtertron and different colors are the differences to the Panther. So it is a totally different guitar and definitely not a successor to the Panther ... in my opinion the clear opposite.

nickurso likes this.
  16. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    nickurso likes this.
  17. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    You mean the last advertizing to push the sell out?

Stefan likes this.
  18. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    The model platform is very successful I think....the similarities of the two may spell out the phasing out of the Panther I think. Broadcaster is a nice addition to the line and I think we will see additional color choices down the road . The price is a bit higher than I expected ...the 2700- 3000 grand range is now becoming standard in a lot of prolines so...the times they are a changing...why doesn't my salary rise to keep up with rising prices? These guitars are very nice and I want to buy them all. Lol

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    TSims1 likes this.
  19. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I think the idea when they came out with the Panther was to get more of the ES335 business. With the glut of ES335 style, copy, knock off, etc. guitars, some of them extremely nice for less than half the cost of a new real deal Gibson. The competition for that market is tough. Outside of us Gretsch fans the Panther doesn't attract other players considering ES335 style guitars. It pretty much appeals to a specific certain audience, that being us. Still I may end up with one as it has the Great Gretsch Sound and my Gibson ES335 does not, and the Panther doesn't do the PAF thang that my Gibson will. I think they would look good together in my stable.

TSims1 likes this.
  20. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Is the new Broadkaster a 16" or 17" guitar? One of the beauties of the Panther is the 16" bout size. Personally, I would happily discontinue the Broadkaster for the Panther. Ah well, I got mine and it's a beauty.

TSims1 likes this.