So what's your chosen amp or equipment?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by olliethecat, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Once upon a time I had a Fender Rhodes Mark I Stage Piano. I swear it weighed over 200 pounds, hated to stay in tune, and at the time I literally couldn't give it away. I left it next to the apartment complex dumpster and don't know if someone scooped it up or the trash guys hauled it off.

Let's see what they go for now....man, I shouldn't have done that. Not sure if this is the exact model or not. Oh well.

upload_2019-7-29_12-42-2.png

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Not as heavy as the one with the 4X12" speaker cab. My Wurly 140B is thankfully a bit lighter than a Rhodes. Still beats lugging a B-3 and a Leslie 122 around.

3. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    new 212.JPG
    [​IMG]

I have a Quilter 101 Mini that I most run thru a Veteran Guitar Cabinets 2x12, although occasionally will run thru a homemade 1x12. I also have a MusicPCB 20W Tiny Giant that I pair with the 1x12 for a grab and go rig. Lastly I have a 56 Gibson GA40 that sounds great and is beautiful just to look at.

In the fall I plan to buy a 10W kit from Trinity Amps. It's based on the Fender Champ 5C1 circuit, but with 6L6 power tube. I'll mod the 1x12 to house it, make myself a custom Champ combo. That way I'll have two tube amps and two solid-state. I'm all about balance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  4. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Mine came with a 2x12 cabinet but it was separate.

Now I'm wondering what happened to that cabinet because I sure don't remember. I wonder if it's in my attic or basement, or if I sold it before I moved from Florida. I sure wouldn't have tossed it.

5. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'd start looking.

A buddy has a Kustom tuck and roll keyboard. 4X12" and keyboard in an all-in-one cabinet. Talk about a heavy beast! Even heavier than a Hammond.

6. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I'm thinking I sold it for cheap.

7. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Hindsight is always 20/20. At least someone got a good deal!

8. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    I just heard one of those Supro's a few weeks ago at a local bar/gig. I had seen on before but never heard them actually played through so it was a nice surprise to hear one for a change.

Fat warm and very filling for such a small size too.

The one I saw was more of a baby blue color cabinet but wow did it push the sound out.

9. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    I think the "too many amps" is like the "too many guitars" fictitious mindeset ;).

10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Ya, too true. I always figure that it's my money, my monkey and my circus, and I'll have as many as I choose.

But...I'm in a situation now where I have a bunch of 9/10s and need to let the 7/10s continue on their way. I'm simply not going to do much with them. Lots of guitars too and some of them need to go.

Lionpotato and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  11. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Understood, it's a situation many would love to be in, until they get there hahaha.

I think it's just cool to see what people pick out though as their favs or why they even bought a particular guitar, amp or pedal in the first place. Sort of a subliminal way of learning if you will?

Just interesting I guess?

12. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Never saw one of those Gibson Amps before, wow! Very classic, classy and nostalgic looking.

pmac11 likes this.
  13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Not too much subliminal really. Almost every great guitar or amp I've ever acquired came from someone elses knowledge, recommendation or use. It's a real learning experience, many of the guitars or amps I expected to be great were not, and there were a few happy surprises along the way.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  14. Manny 86

Manny 86 Electromatic

Jun 3, 2019
    Italy, Piedmont
    In my experience I can tell you that the amp seems to like humbuckers a lot, I don't find it exciting with anything other than a paf or a filtertron. As you have noticed you too the sound is big the overdrive and the distortions sound better than on a Fender, and always with the paf I found the sound clean big and fat but with compactness and definition. I have not achieved similar performance with the P90 and the Dynasonic of my 6120. I am waiting to try the new mesa california, if I load the gun first, I will aim at the great classic fender deluxe reverb.:cool:

15. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Thanks, but in the interest of full disclosure..it's not the original tolex, it's a re-cover. And the Gibson logo was bought on eBay from a vendor in Kazakhstan... Still, it sounds sooo nice.

Here's what a vintage model looks like. Unfortunately, when I came into possession of mine it was a stripped plywood cabinet and a box of parts. Still, it cleaned up nicely enough.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  16. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Yep the guitar I heard played through it was a Custom Fender Telecaster, not sure about the pickup but it seemed to be a lipstick type of some sort and like you said it was distinct and sharp not muddy but still had thick enough tone and distortion it truly stood at for my ears. Hmm now I have to find out what type of pickup it was, you have me curious to see.

Manny 86 likes this.
  17. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Well it still looks good to me. I guessed it probably wasn't genuine vintage but didn't really matter. Excellent work.

pmac11 likes this.
  18. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have a Supro Tremo-Verb and I found that my single coiled gretsch and my tele sound great with it, but my Filtertrons never give much sparkle. When I plug in a guitar with filtertrons I have to turn the bass knob to zero on the amp, and it still wasn’t bright enough for me.
    I got a Deluxe Reverb a few weeks ago, and EVERYTHING sounds good through that!
    I’m not planning on getting rid of the Supro anytime soon. It definitely still has uses.

sh4rkbyt3 and Manny 86 like this.
  19. Jonathan Fowles

Jonathan Fowles Newbie

Jul 6, 2017
    London
    Hi Tavo - do you mind me asking why you have both a Strymon Dig and a Boss DM3 as well as your Mystery Brain? Thanks, Jonathan

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice