So what's your chosen amp or equipment?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by olliethecat, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Can I come over? Sound like amp paradise!

2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    LOL, it's pretty cool. That's why it's hard to stop. I got over 85 guitars to plug into them too. I love gear and I think it's a way better investment than investing in banks. Come on over anytime!

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    My favorite amp to play my Gretsch through is a 2000-ish Vox AC-15. That amp just has something special. It gets creamier as it warms up. It has a unique town compared to my other amps, a couple of SF Fender heads with reverb and a couple of Mesa Boogie amps.

The amp that I play through the most is an '80's Peavey Backstage Plus. It's kind of a solid state Princeton Reverb. It's light and it covers a lot of styles real well with different pedals.

4. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    For room recording i use a Zoom H5 and pick up the live sound of both amps. I run the guitar through the Mystery Brain, then split the signal directly to the Egnater (gritty) and also through the pedalboard to the AC15 (clean). I used to pair the Vox with a Peavey Classic 50 but the Egnater works better to provide a bit of tube drive under the Vox chime. 3D8C7D6B-385E-4570-B51D-5E53318479D4.jpeg 4206DAA7-1AF2-4611-BA46-F006627D4540.jpeg
    For recording tracks for the band in the Uk i send a rough room recording of the sound i want (or a verbal description) and then record dry straight into garageband upload to Dropbox and let the producer create the sound in Protools.

sh4rkbyt3, blueruins, Funky54 and 4 others like this.
  5. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Tony, where do you keep it all? Do you have it all in one place? One incredibly well insured place?
    I would love to see your collection some day. Do you have it all well photographed?

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    It's kinda scattered all over the house. My long suffering missus says our house looks like Long and McQuade, but I have good stuff. LOL, it's true.

I guess I should really get it well photographed. That's a big job. Is there something particular you want a photo of?

7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I traded in my SF Champ a while back to a local store, when Bonamassa was in town his tech bought the amp for him. It was a nice amp but covered the same ground as others i have.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I need to update my photos

Attached Files:

sh4rkbyt3 and Bertotti like this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Constantly changing pedals too ..... note the dead Flanger :D

Attached Files:

sh4rkbyt3, wildeman, Bertotti and 2 others like this.
  10. Manny 86

Manny 86 Electromatic

Jun 3, 2019
    Italy, Piedmont
    always ready for new changes, even if for now I have reached a certain stability, a nice tremolo pedal is missing, to be on the subject the supro coronado I like only with the Les Paul as I had already told I am looking for something new for now I have to close my wallet.:D My last purchase is the little yamaha to not disturb, very useful. upload_2019-7-21_15-25-58.jpeg
    upload_2019-7-21_15-26-50.jpeg
    upload_2019-7-21_15-27-38.jpeg

11. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    Whether gigging (not so much of that now) or playing at home, it’s gonna be some subset of this rig.

[​IMG]

I have other amps and a bunch of other guitars, but 95% of the time it’s these guys. Of these the PRS DGT gets the most playing time, as does the Mesa.

I use my main pedalboard a lot. It’s been to all my gigs since I switched from modelers back to amps and pedals.

[​IMG]

Lately though, it’s been sitting idle, while I play through my Mystery Brain. That thing has clamped on to my brain like a pit bull on a pork chop. I hooked it up to try it out several months ago and just can’t make myself switch back.

[​IMG]

12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Tony, have you experimented with tubes on the tone king? I'm going to buy a back up set and wonder if you have any suggestions.

13. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I was just about to say that Tony was missing a Bandit from his list.

(to be fair, I really like them)

wildeman and JC higgy like this.
  14. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I'm down to two set ups.

Clark reverb tank, Cave Valley single ended Plexi head, and a "gutted" Vox AC30C1 for a cab. 1 - 12" Celestion Gold in the cab.

20190108_163243.jpg

My other set up is a VOX AC10C1VS.
    20181211_145233.jpg

Both sound great. Just depends on what mood I'm in for voicing.

sh4rkbyt3, thunder58 and Manny 86 like this.
  15. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    So what's your chosen amp or equipment?

Oh, well...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Etc... :rolleyes:

20 images is the maximum allowed ! ;)

A+!

16. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Electromatic

Jul 22, 2019
    Canada
    I'm just surprised you could find all those left handed amps.

17. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I always seem to go back to Fenders. Though lately, I’ve been playing through a Headrush straight to the FOH.

18. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    No Henry, I haven't. I bought the one with the Celestion Creamback based on a recommendation from some very savvy amp guys. They said it was like the ultimate extension of the blackface/tweed genes. I really disliked the tone of the Creamback so I started rolling speakers. I tried about 15 speakers in it and nothing really felt right to me and I ended up putting a stupidly expensive Tone King 33 in it. And that was simply OK so I put it away until I got the urge to roll some tubes in it.

So far, I confess I'm a little underwhelmed as the sound hasn't really touched me personally. It is BEAUTIFULLY made though,

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Henry likes this.
  19. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Mark, I've never heard one. Maybe I'd love them too.

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I expect at some point for this pedal to turn up in some Christmas show with some crazy headbanging Elf playing rock Christmas tunes with it! I love it!

sh4rkbyt3 and hcsterg like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice