So what's your chosen amp or equipment?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by olliethecat, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I can't even imagine. Sounds like a dream rig. I have a Roland XP 80 and a Prosonus.I run them through my Protools Digi Rack 003 and run them through my studio monitors. I use them for recording. I have never played the keyboards live since I'm not a keyboardist. I use them to color the music. I normally teach myself chords for certain parts.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I have a lot of amps. I have too many amps. I have WAY too many amps. I don't have one chosen amp - although once upon a time I did. I have a bunch of wonderful amps. They're fun to collect but I really gotta sell some.

AMPS June 18, 2019
    1. Allen Brown Sugar 1x15

2. Allen Sweet Spot 1x12

3. Allen Accomplice 1x12

4. Ampeg V-2 Head

5. Boss MG10

6. Bugera V5

7. Fender '57 Twin Mini

8. Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb

9. Fender '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb

10. Fender 1961 Vibrolux

11. Fender 1961 Bassman (in Combo)

12. Fender 1964 Bandmaster Head

13. Fender 1964 Bassman (in combo)

14. Fender 1966 Vibrolux

15. Fender 1968 Bassman

16. Fender 1975 Twin Reverb

17. Fender 1976 Princeton Reverb

18. Fender 1977 Deluxe Reverb

19. Gibson 1964 GA15RVT Explorer

20. Gibson 1965 GA 8T Discoverer Tremolo

21. Luckhurst 15w Princeton Reverb

22. Luckhurst 22w Princeton Reverb

23. Luckhurst 22w '61 Bassman

24. Marsh 22w Clifton (Deluxe) Reverb

25. Matchless Lightning Reverb

26. Phaez Berns 1530 #1

27. Phaez Berns 1530 #2

28. Phaez Corona 10w

29. Phaez Corona 25w

30. Quilter 101 Reverb Head

31. Quilter Aviator 8”

32. Roland Orange Cube 20

33. Roland Orange Cube 40

34. Roland Orange Super Cube 40

35. Roland Orange Cube 60

36. Roland Grey Cube 60 Chorus

37. Roland Grey Super Cube 60

38. Roland Orange Cube 100

39. Tone King Imperial II

40. Traynor Reverb Master YRM-1

41. Traynor Signature Reverb YSR-1

42. Traynor YBA-1 #2

43. Traynor YBA-1 #1

44. Traynor YBA-2 6v6 Combo

45. Traynor YBA-2 6V6 Head

46. Traynor YBA-2B EL84 Head

47. Traynor YBA-2B EL84 #1 Custom Combo

48. Traynor YBA-2B EL84 #2 Custom Combo

49. Traynor YBA-2B EL84 stock Combo

50. Traynor YBA-2B EL84 Stock Combo (at Dan's)

51. Traynor YGM-1

52. Traynor YGM-2

53. Traynor YGM-3

54. Traynor YGM-3 reissue

55. Traynor YGM-4

56. Trinity Deluxe 5E3

57. Valvetrain 416

58. Victoria Low Power Twin

59. Victoria Victoriette

60. Vox AC10

61. Vox AC30CCH head

62. Weber Fender Pro 5E5

63. ZT Lunchbox

Groutsch, PDogga, larryb and 16 others like this.
  3. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Holy cow, WOW! Are you sure you're not Bonamassa's liason ;) ? Now that's a collection and then some!

larryb, LorPol and Charlie westside like this.
  4. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Welcome back Ollie I absolutely enjoyed reading your story too!

I think that's the cool part of revisting it all at this moment in time is everythings shrunk, literally. Everything you could possibly "need" for a home studio you have, sure you could add more bells and whistles but the "want" part differs from reality. And from the looks of it you have some nice side weapons there as well ;).

I really enjoy getting on here and reading about the experiences of the people on Gretsch Talk for everything from bar shows, road tours and even some brushes with fame. It's all a great learning experience and the stories to me are all extremely valuable.

My amp collection is smaller than most but covers what I need at the moment.

Blackstar Fly - surprisingly better than most people would think.

Mustang V2 - 10w

Blackstar ID 10 - 10w

Roland Blues Cube Stage 60w

Welcome and if you do any recordings if you don't mind please post some here if you can? Would really enjoy hearing them.

Charlie westside and olliethecat like this.
  5. olliethecat

olliethecat Electromatic

Jun 12, 2019
    East Yorkshire, UK
    What a lovely welcome back..thank you.
    Things have indeed changed since I was on the road. The principles are still very much the same and to a degree the gear is very similar to what I was using but it's the capabilities of tiny amps like the little Yamaha THR10 ( 2 x 5 watt stereo) which are quite astounding really.

I bought the amp a few weeks ago primarily to take with me to my caravan along with a cheap Strat copy I'd also bought very recently which I'd fully set up and fret dressed etc so it played really well, with the intention of leaving them up both there so that I didn't have bother taking them each time I visited but I was so impressed with both of them that I really couldn't leave them up there as they are too good not have with me at home.

The little amp is ideal and more than adequate for practice and very versatile in its own right too but it was by chance that I realised just how good it was when I took a lead from the amp headphone input socket and plugged it into the R24 which was linked to a pair of quite large 75 watt active studio monitors and the sound of the guitar played through was absolutely superb. My cousin has an original Vox AC30 and a Fender valve amp of some sort and as far as I was concerned it was as good as either of them and suits me down to the ground.
    From the recording tests I've done so far, I doubt very much that I can improve on the sound quality so I'm quite happy and not looking for any more gear at the moment .

I think that is the key...finding the gear that suits you and delivers the sounds you want. I'd always wanted a Gretsch but never got around to getting one before I retired from playing and thought I never would but, less than two months ago I came across and bought the 5120 and now I'm hooked with playing again.

As I've said I'm loving it. When I was on the road, I had to constantly be learning new material to put in the act. In those days I suppose I was what could be described as quite popular with audiences and therefore rebooked quite often which was great as it was a sign of approval and helped the bank balance, but sometimes booked too often to the same venues which meant constantly learning new material for adding to my act which added to the pressure of keeping the act relevant.
    Nowadays, I can just choose a list of songs I want to record, work out the parts and get on with recording them...much nicer:)

sh4rkbyt3 and Charlie westside like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ....and in alphabeticall order too

7. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Do ya think???..............lol

sh4rkbyt3 and olliethecat like this.
  8. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    For the last few years, I’ve been going through some Nocturne pedals (and El Capistan before I got the Mystery Brain) and then to DI and to the board. Works fine for this purpose, and I don’t have to lug my Fender amps around.

On occasion, I’ll add a Topanga Reverb and/or a Voodoo Labs tremolo, but really I’m just trying to sound like a Fender amp + Echoplex without the weight.

Of course, this only works if I’m running the board, too.

9. Jessie Ed

Jessie Ed Electromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Statesboro, GA
    6620TFM.jpg This Gretsch thru my 12' Princeton

10. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Mainly: Falcon>Mystery Brain>Detroit Casket>CB SFT>Carr Rambler

For what little recording I do, its straight into a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and Logic X.

11. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Well I am an old man !

12. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My history is not as significant as yours.. I’ve been a hack and in and out of local little cover bands for 25-30 years. My hey day in my 20’s was the early 90’s and now I rarely play out. I’m not involved in anything at the moment. I don’t record. So all I can say is use what you enjoy.

PDogga, larryb, thunder58 and 7 others like this.
  13. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I haven't gigged in many a year myself and am not likely too in the near future either,back ,hearing,and double hernia problems stopped all the fun.

But when i did gig i used a lot of different amps,Simm Watts,Watkins Dominator head,what a lovely warm tone that wee amp had,SS Carlton,Dean Markley,that Dean had the warmest tone of any solid state amp i ever heard,and even a ,gulp,Peavey 112 Bandit!
    Ended up sticking to a 1977 Music Man HD130 210 combo ,heavy bugger ,and probably the reason for the hernia trouble!
    It's currently sitting in the back room of my local on consignment ,where it's been sitting for the last 4 years!:rolleyes:

Anywho,i currently have a stock Fender 65 Princeton reissue,which is still too loud for home use,should've bought a SS amp really,the only pedals i have are an MXR Carbon Copy and a cheap as chips Behringer Vintage Tube Overdrive TO800.

Also have a wee Danelectro Dirty Thirty ,but it went pop a few years ago ,so it's just a door stop these days.

I have never owned any serious recording equipment though,other than a tape recorder.:oops:

I do have one or two guitars though;),which are above my talent level!:oops::D

14. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    I don't really have one amp or piece of gear that I use for everything. I play different kinds of music with different groups and I also play live and in the studio. For the stage, I use my Tech 21 Power Engine more than anything else, though I have other amps that I use sometimes. I've been using my Gretsch a lot lately, but today I used my Michael Kelly Hybrid Special, which I probably use more than any other guitar.

Here is the setup I used for the last couple of shows. Pretty basic, really.

[​IMG]

15. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    Gretsch 5620t into a Roland Blues Cube Artist, often with the the Ultimate Blues Tone Capsule, or into a Mesa Express Plus 5:50. I’m a hobbyist and gig several times a year and the Mesa sees more stage time now. My number one guitar, though, is a PRS.

And I usually have a pedalboard, with 2-3 drives, tremolo, delay, maybe reverb.

[​IMG]

sh4rkbyt3, toddfan, wilblee and 5 others like this.
  16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I pretty much hate wicker - except on Mesas. That's sweet!

Groutsch, toddfan and collama like this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    When my parents entrusted me with the purchase of new furniture I picked some colonial style wicker decked seats(not my bag at all) cause they reminded me of Mesa Boogie. They loved it. :rolleyes:

sh4rkbyt3, Groutsch and Henry like this.
  18. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    It's the only "always on" pedal I've ever owned.

Charlie westside likes this.
  19. EC Strat

EC Strat Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    DAD54ED4-AB06-475F-B136-6BAE72A6FE63.jpeg FE83B742-2661-473A-A07D-A0F35CC8F609.jpeg 86653B09-4F8D-4610-AF43-6D6CA0BFAACD.jpeg 725D34CB-6127-4CF9-BACD-76ADAC7E69DC.jpeg Myself, I like starting with obtaining the best sounding clean amp I can afford and find and build the sound off that foundation. Especially with a guitar like a Gretsch.

So I have Tweed Vibrolux (clone) with NOS tubes and Eminence GA SC 59 speaker

For tone shaping a great Xotic effects wah, a vintage specd fuzz, a Tumnus , a Friedman and Zendrive

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    It all depends on my mood but the most versatile amp I have can go from incredible cleans on through country blue into rock heavy metal and thrash. A Peavey Triple XXX if I can have only one it would be it. A very incredible at home amp is @TV the Wired Turtle ‘s Baby Blondeshell! The rest are just for fun. Peavey JSX Mini Colossal, Orange Micro Dark a one trick pony, and the Joyo AtomiC. Let’s not forget the Box Nighttrain, the first gen. I love that thing it is also a great little amp. So hard to pick but basically I have every mod covered and even have more choices inside the Antelope Audio Zen Tour. I won’t even take the time to list those. Guitars Two Strat and my Broadway jade Penguin and a Minarick Lotus Studio. The Minarick doesn’t get a lot of play time it is just to PAF’y for my tastes. Not a HB fan normally. That’s the electric heard to play with but sometimes I want acoustic and that probably isn’t what you’re asking about. So where does a person got from here? I would love a Nocturne Moonshine combo and a Mesa Mark Five 25 or 35.

sh4rkbyt3 and olliethecat like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice