So what's your chosen amp or equipment?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by olliethecat, Jul 15, 2019.

1. olliethecat

olliethecat Electromatic

Jun 12, 2019
    East Yorkshire, UK
    Hi guys, I'd be interested as a new Gretsch owner to hear your stories and which amps you prefer.
    When I gave up as a full time pro solo singer guitarist in 1980 after around 13 years full time pro on the road, living out of a suitcase touring up to 40 weeks a year I thought that was it.
    I didn't play my guitar after that as I was afraid I'd want to go back on the road which I'd given up to be with my wife and small kids and it was only after my wife had passed away and my kids grown that they came to me and wanted me to record a few albums for posterity in 2014 that I got the urge to pick up a guitar once again.

Unfortunately serious illness got in the way and I was given up for dead in late 2014 but hey, I'm still here and feeling good and most of all I'm enjoying playing again even if it is taking a bit of time to get back to where I was back then but I notice each day that I'm getting a little better.;)
    Better still I now have a Gretsch 5120 which since I've spent a fair bit of time setting it up, it now is the perfect semi acoustic guitar for me and coupled with my Telecasters and other axes, I'm really loving it again and what's more, I'm enjoying it with no pressure this time around which makes it even more enjoyable.

I've got several guitars which I've bought and set up as well as two Line 6 amps (120 watt & Spider jam) a modest Marshall bass amp and a brand new Fender Acoustasonic 150 which my cousin donated to me but my favourite set up is my little Yamaha THR10 which I bought recently, fed into my Zoom R24 24 track which in turn is fed into a pair of 75 watt rms active speakers with 8 inch bass speakers and the sound is absolutely phenomenal.
    I was used to 100 watt valve amps on stage and was going to buy maybe a Fender Blues Junior or something in that vein for playing/recording at home but once I'd fed the THR10 into the speakers via the Zoom R24 to test what the setup was like for recording, no way was I going waste money on a valve amp for home use after hearing that.
    I have to say that the sound I get from the outfit now can easily compete with my old 60s/70s Selmer valve amps for sound which were excellent and for recording it's a dream set up as I don't have to mike anything up except acoustics/drums as I use it as a pre-amp and I can even play and record bass through it.

To be honest I've got no excuse for not producing good sounds and work now at home with the gear I possess.
    Each to their own and I love playing and replicating music and the genres from 1955-1963 period, with the accent on country/country rock/rockabilly and bit of such as Otis Redding type soul. It was a very interesting period musically.

So, that's my story and now I'm interested in what amplification you guys use for your home gear as well as on stage if you gig and it would be interesting to find out which genres of music is most popular among Gretsch owners as the guitars are very versatile instruments and not just one trick ponies. Together with my Gretsch and other guitars there isn't really any sounds that I can't match or replicate.

Here's a pic of my recording set up...nothing fancy and the actual amp is tiny but the sound output quality is excellent and as good as anything I've played.

[​IMG]

2. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Blues Junior NOS Tweed & Mustang III with a Mystery Brain!

All.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  3. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    20190512_153357.jpg Welcome to Gretsch Talk. Country, Rockabilly, Post Punk Even Jazz. Very popular music for Gretsch guitar owners.
    I play Rock & Blues and my Gretsch does great and is my favorite guitar even amongst my more expensive US made Strat an Charvel.
    A lot of Grtesch Players like to go Valve. Vox seems to be a favorite and not to mention Fender Blues Jr, Princeton Reverb, Hot Rods. Clean, Gretsch Sounds very warm though a valve but breaks up really good when driven. This is just my experience and opinion. 20180723_212443.jpg 20190406_133849.jpg 20180706_191805.jpg 20180729_081518.jpg I actually use a Blackstar valve 40 watt. I gig and record with it.
    I already had it before buying my Gretsch
    and the Blackstar seems to like it. It depends on how I dial in my sound. I Also have a Vox.
    I think you are already doing well with the equipment you have. What truly matters is what works for you.
    If it produces the sound you like and it sounds great to your ears, That's what truly matters. Welcome back to music and Guitar.

4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Since I am an old person I had the opportunity to own all that vintage amps. Sixties Vox and Marshalls, 70ies Marshalls, 80ies Marshalls, 80ies Boogies, all the late eighties Soldano Amp and Pre-amp models, Lee Jackson stuff, solid-state Galliens to my beloved vintage Reußenzehns and a newer Mesa Stiletto.
    As you may conclude I am a man based mainly in the Marshall camp.
    Many Gretsch lovers here dig Fender stuff and Roland standards. Totally different stuff. Gretsch guitars seem to comply with nearly every kind of musical style you can throw at them. And that`s one of the cool aspects of owning a Gretsch guitar. They are multi-cultural.

5. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Very well said:)
    I would say you're experienced. Not old.

6. LorPol

LorPol Electromatic

Mar 28, 2019
    Italy - Modena
    My childs are still little babies and I need to play almost exclusive with headphone. First 'every-day' amp when I get only 10 minutes to relax playing guitar on-the fly: Blackstar HT1-R with valve upgrade to tame the gain and play clean or just with a little break-up from the power amp tube; on board digital, but stereo, reverb; working and messing around with it you can reach a pretty clean and fat tone. If I got 20 minutes to play I switch on some pedals: a Boss Tu3 for the buffer effect on the pedal chain, a TC Electronic Hall Of Fame 2 reverb - with a pair of reverb created by myself, a ZCat Hold Reverb basically for the smooth and delicate hold reverb effect, a TC Electronic Ditto Looper. If I got 30 minute I run downstairs and quikly turn-on a 1996 american made Hot Rod Deluxe with tube and some resistors upgrade, on the effect loop I use a volume knob to tame the lion volume using it like a master volume with effects on front of the amp, I really like reverbs before the power tube breaking-up. HRD is cheap but, when I used to gig, it was present on every stage so I traveled with out worries to find a back-line amp with easy control to reach my sound with out my own stuff always with me. When I need to use headphone on those 30 minute, I put-on a Cicognani load box whit cab simulation, a italian product tha fits perfectly with the HRD, I can achive really good, honest and realistic tube sound. That little gear is played with a Gretsch 6122-1958 a Japanese one from 2003, a lovely guitar, or better: I'm in love with her! Never played a guitar like that: we are made to stay together, I don't need another guitar. If I need to record (I don't do it oftently) I go with the Cicognani load through a Tc Electronic Wiretap that i can synconize with the selfnamed app and play it back when I go to work or wash disches!
    Genres I like: from TomWaits to Irving Berlin, from Goat (japanese band) to Steve Reich, from Violente Femmes to Julian Lage, from Arthur Russel to Bill Frisell.

7. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I'm going to have to try out one of those Mystery Brains. Everyone is raving about it.

sh4rkbyt3 and audept like this.
  8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    You will not be sorry.

audept and Charlie westside like this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Prime amp is a Vox AC15. I have a Fender Champ 600 reissue as well. I'll also use a 1949 David Bogen 10 watt PA head and an Ampex (tape recorder company) powered monitor from the '50s as well. Nothing fancy anymore as it's just home use. I do have a more involved keyboard rig---basically a smallish PA system with a mixer and a pair of Mackie TH-15 monitors.

10. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    That's actually a heck of rig. Must sound great. :)

11. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Charlie westside likes this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Man, i got alot of amps and love them all. Peavey Delta blues, Roland cube 60 and 20, '65 Supro Tremo Verb, '59 Magnatone 280, '62 Magnatone 213, Masco Custom 10, Blackstar id core 10, Boss mini Katana.....lifes good

13. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Thanks, I'll show this post to my wife.
    I only have three...a Quilter Mini 101, and 20W Tiny Giant stompbox size that I built, and a Gibson GA40. She wonders why I need more than one, lol...

You have a great collection btw!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

14. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I recently picked up a Fender Mustang GT40 (40w) and my only regret is that I didn't get the 100.

I can't say enough good things about it, especially after breaking in the speakers.....by streaming music to it via Bluetooth.

15. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    I've got more but these are the ones I'm using most right now.

T-Rose/Messa Express 550+
    [​IMG]

Gibson ES137 Custom/SCXD
    [​IMG]

83 Ibanez Artist AM205
    [​IMG]

G&L Blues Boy Tribute/BJ III[​IMG]

Agile AL2500/Duncan 59's/Twin Reissue
    [​IMG]

Yamaha SA2200
    [​IMG]

Guild D - 140ce/Katana 100
    [​IMG]

16. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    You little show off.. lol

wildeman and Charlie westside like this.
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's the keyboard rig I'd have loved to have when I was gigging. The gear didn't exist at the time, tho. I still have my early '60s Wurlitzer 140B, but have a Korg BX2, and the newest arrival, a Korg SV-1. It's far more than I need, but, it has many uses beyond just keys. I do some outside PA gigs for the church on occasion. 400 watts does put out some sound.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    section2, Charlie westside and pmac11 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice