So what amp do you run with your Gretsches?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by budglo, Mar 22, 2019.

1. budglo

budglo Electromatic

Feb 26, 2019
    Ohio
    Ran my 5420 through my Marshall dsl 40c last night for the first time. That thing rocks just as much as my lespaul. Malcom had it right.

wilblee, G5422T and pmac11 like this.
  2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Fine :)
    I'll make a comment about electric guitars though that makes them fundamentally different to acoustics.

Without an amp you have no sound at all.
    And if you don't have a high quality amp to match your top quality proline Gretsch it defeats the purpose in owning one. It will sound rubbish plugged into a poor quality amplifier. Like mixing Coke with Bollinger :)

3. Camuel

Camuel Electromatic

Mar 2, 2019
    Scotland
    Yeah, I get that, but I can use my Apollo Twin Duo and amp plugin through the PA until I can afford an amp, can't I? I'm gonna ask the guy I sold my Fender too if he's using it much and would be willing to sell it back. You never know!

4. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Right.
    Bollinger is far from being the best champagne and might ruin a tasty Coke. Dom Perignon is much better for that cocktail :p

Alberta_Slim, Waxhead and pmac11 like this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    At the end just like a real amp or with the Deluxe models I can put time-based effects in the FX loop. I then just listen through headphones or send to a powered studio monitor.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    There are also many options for direct input so you can play your electric through your PA.

7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Well I'm glad someone here can make a proper champagne and cola.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Alberta_Slim and Waxhead like this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    hmm - the Apollo is an audio interface - yes?
    I got no idea how that would sound but it should produce some noise :)

Which Fender ?
    Your fantastic Falcon deserves a good tube amplifier imo.

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You bet you can! And if it sounds great to you then it is. At some point though you will be tempted by a great amp to go with the great guitar.

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    No shortage of them :)
    There's 100s I see plugging expensive proline gretsch into el cheapo little solid state amps and modellers.

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Right ..... well I'm no champagne expert so I bow to your superior knowledge.
    Have you tried Coke with Dom Perignon - how does it taste?

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  12. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Perhaps so, but 99% of the people in the audience literally couldn't care less. It's only the other players that notice these sorts of things.

13. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    Fender Silverface champ, Koch Jupiter 45, Supro 1633E.
    A0C190EA-EE33-4C04-9712-81894E3242BB.jpeg AF2DE006-58B4-45A4-A4E3-C5B15CCA7E1C.jpeg 1EFA80D2-877E-4BFA-9972-9348EAA98B36.jpeg

14. Camuel

Camuel Electromatic

Mar 2, 2019
    Scotland
    Just did some digging on my UAD software and I have a license for the Marshall Plexi Super Lead 1959 plugin and the Distortion Essentials Bundle, which comprises the TS Overdrive (Tube Screamer), Bermuda Triangle (Big Muff) and Raw Distortion (Pro Co Rat). They must've come free in a software update or something, because I didn't buy them. I'm sure I'll be able to get something going with that little lot after some head scratching and cable routing with my Apollo Twin Duo and Satellite Quad. This is gonna be so much fun. Should be about 10 days until my first ever Gretsch arrives!

Anyone else here using UAD hardware / software?

Gretschnv and Waxhead like this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I never buy that one :)
    Most importantly - You notice....... and don't we have any pride in our performance - or do you only play for the $$.

Main reason I gig is not for the $.
    Its for my own enjoyment and if I know myself I could sound much better with other gear I could use then my enjoyment level goes down big time. Sometimes I've had to gig with poor / ordinary quality gear cos of a breakdown, or I couldn't afford any better, but I always accepted I sounded crap that night.
    It's a matter of pride and doing the best you can :)

Lindo likes this.
  16. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I understand the what you're getting at, and I agree completely that one should be comfortable with ones gear, and I agree that generally speaking, quality is proportional to price, although certainly not always.

That being said, chasing tone is a rabbit hole industry 100 miles across and 1000 deep fuelled by huge ad budgets, nostalgia, confirmation bias, and herd instinct.

As with most things, I think it gear selection comes down to a mix of personal choice, what you can afford, and what you can pull off with what you have.

The late Ed Bickert, rest his soul, played an old Tele thru one of those Orange Roland Cubes..and held every audience he played for in the palm of his hand. To my knowledge he was never accused of lacking pride in his performance. He was able to excel within the limitations of his gear. So I think there's still wisdom to the old adage about the craftsman and his tools. In the quest for tone, I think it's as relevant as anything else.

Just my two cents. Peace.

17. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Not using UAD, but my Reaper came with a few cool cabsim and ampsim plugins, as well as a full range of OD, distortion, phaser, chorus, trem, EQ, compressor and reverb plugins. Sometimes I don't even bother to mic my speaker cab, just run a clean signal from the Quilter and process it all afterward. It's really tons of fun.

18. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Me either, but I use an Antelope Audio Zen Tour which has some very respectable amps and cabs among other useful things in it.

pmac11 likes this.
  19. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    I have a 5620t that I play thru three amps: 1) Roland blues Cube Artist, usually with an ultimate blues tone capsule, 2) Orange Crush Pro 60, and 3) a recently acquired Mesa Boogie Express Plus 5:50. Love them all for different reasons. I don’t often use my Gretsch for gigs but the one time I did I used the Orange amp. I have used my Gretsch at blues jams with the blues cube and it sounded great.

[​IMG]

wilblee, j.s.c, Waxhead and 2 others like this.
  20. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Hear, hear!

I’ve seen a lot of tone chasing in my day and it strikes me as a waste. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for pursuing a good sound, but if you have a guitar that suits your genre and a competent amp, what else is there? If I were playing a gig far from home and couldn’t bring my Winfield, I’d ask for a Princeton Reverb or a Vox AC-15 for . Frankly, I wouldn’t care all that much if I had one or the other. I play a Gretsch out of preference, but I could play a Gibson if I had to and I could make it work. I just don’t understand the almost obsessive drive some people have to obtain certain pieces of gear. I don’t think it’s a trait common to all pros.

pmac11 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice