Join Gretsch-Talk Today

So i've owned my Super Chet 6 weeks

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Beardog, May 2, 2018.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    The stigma of various eras usually is exaggerated. My all time favorite Gibson is a Norlin era Les Paul. I've seen some CBS Fenders which were excellent and the one Baldwin era Gretsch I owned was pretty decent, although it developed neck problems, which are not necessarily a Baldwin era issue. Few of us live down to our stereotypes. :)

MichaelHargis, emitex and Beardog like this.
  2. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    Very cool Chet!!!!!!!

MichaelHargis and Beardog like this.
  3. Beardog

Beardog Gretschie

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks

MichaelHargis likes this.
  4. Londonbus

Londonbus Gretschie

Oct 19, 2012
    Richland, WA
    I second all of this. The best Gibson I ever owned was a Norlin... a 1976 ES-175T (A thinline ES175). That was as close to a perfect sounding hollowbody as I have ever played. And if my friend ever decides to part with his late 70s Stratocaster I will bend over backwards to try to get that guitar from him. It's magical.

That Super Chet is killer BTW.

MichaelHargis and Beardog like this.
  5. Highroller

Highroller Gretschie

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR

Couldn't agree more. Most of the criticism of the Baldwin era seems leveled at the BST-1000 type guitars - so "un-Gretsch" they might as well say Yamaha on the headstock.

But you gotta remember this: At that time, big ol’ hollowbodies weren’t selling. Gretsch was tanking pretty bad. Baldwin was making the effort to make Gretsch relevant again to a rock crowd used to Les Pauls and Strats. Obviously, they weren’t too successful, but it’s not like the entire Baldwin era sucked. There were some fine guitars amid the rubble.

Btw, I’ve got a Superaxe - great guitar, love the neck, but even I’ll admit: it’s an oddball for sure. DiMarzios just aren’t Filtertrons! It’s got a tone that’s worlds removed from classic Gretsch.

6. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Some good points there. In the late seventies, a Les Paul with high output humbuckers was the hot ticket. Coil taps and other electrical wizardry was the direction of things. Alembics were highly revered, but way beyond the reach of most players. The BST guitars were a workingman’s Alembic, straight through neck and all. The BST was Gretsch responding to the market of that day.

Forty years ago, virtually no one was interested in Gretsch’ traditional product line of archtops and Chet’s name wasn’t likely to be familiar to most young guitar buyers. An 18 year old back then wouldn’t be caught dead with a Country Gent. Gretsch was just not relevant to most buyers, and especially the youth market. When I first saw the BST, I wanted one. These days I’ll leave the weight of that instrument to someone else, but at that time, it was a very good, desirable design. Sadly, it wasn’t enough to reverse Gretsch’ downward slide.

7. MichaelHargis

MichaelHargis Electromatic

Apr 2, 2017
    Tombstone, Az
    So is she a 1975 or 76?

8. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Wait till you're my age young man!:(

Love that guitar, Beardog. It is so "Gretschy cool"... yet so uniquely different. Enjoy!

9. Beardog

Beardog Gretschie

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    It's a 75'

10. Beardog

Beardog Gretschie

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks, loving it more the longer i have it.

MichaelHargis and larryb like this.
  11. MichaelHargis

Apr 2, 2017
    Tombstone, Az
    Sweet ax!

12. Beardog

Beardog Gretschie

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks, you are gonna love yours. Great sounding and playing guitars.

13. MichaelHargis

Apr 2, 2017
    Tombstone, Az
    Thanks, I can't wait!

audept and larryb like this.