So I returned the Pro Jet...

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by T Bone, Jan 14, 2018.

1. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

IMG_20180114_14180.jpg IMG_20180114_533.jpg It was not a bad guitar. But 2 or 3 days in, I noticed something I missed on initial inspection. There were two cracks in the binding on the upper (6th string) side of the neck, at the 9th and 10th frets. In certain light, they were nearly invisible. Captured a decent shot though.

Kudos to Riff City Guitar for making the return painless, they were great. Emailed me a label, I repacked it and sent it off via Fed Ex.

They must've shipped the replacement as soon as it appeared in tracking, as it was scheduled to reach them Friday, the new one arrived here yesterday (Saturday) -with another cookie, Snickerdoodle this time :D.

They said they'd take extra care on the replacent to see it was flawless. Don't know about that, but it actually does feel better in my hands and seems chimeier unplugged than the other.

Only minor gripe is that the tone and two volume pots appear to rotate a bit at the end of knob travel, somethng I should easily be able to fix in 5 minutes with allen and a socket wrenches. And the tiniest of finish imperfections on the neck side corner of the head stock (picking nits here). Doubt I could even photograph it.

So, hard case ordered from Sweetwater, who can give me a line on a good price for an American made B3 and a Towner bar?

Ricochet likes this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That picture of the binding looks like a repair/splice.

T Bone likes this.
  3. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Anything is possible. Like I said, in some lighting it was nearly invisible. Never knowingly seen a binding splice.

I know one option they offered was a discount (obviously would save them a lot in shipping, not to mention getting rid of this one at a reduced cost). I didn't even inquire how much of a discount, it would have bothered me regardless. Exchange was also offered immediately, and I am glad I chose that option. The first pic above is of the replacement.

Wulfgang likes this.
  4. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Nope
    If it bothered you replacement was the right option. Glad it went smoothly.
    I like the color on this one.

T Bone likes this.
  5. Mag3

Mag3 Synchromatic

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Congrats on the exchange. :) I have an all chrome B3 on reverb and a Towner bar that will fit the existing Pro Jet studs. PM if interested.

T Bone likes this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    It is good that you did it.
    No one should pa top-dollar for a brandnew guitar that has imperfections.

LivingMyDream and T Bone like this.
  7. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Good deal on the return process! Love that color.

T Bone likes this.
  8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Need to call Riff City about their newly returned-deeply discounted Jet! :rolleyes::D

T Bone, benjwri and thunder58 like this.
  9. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Happy for you that it all worked out. And I agree... you definitely did the right thing returning it and glad to hear Riff City did right by you.

Cool Jet!

T Bone likes this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Yup , what Crooner said

T Bone likes this.
  11. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    Riff City are good folks. I’ve been amazed by the great service I’ve received.

jclute and T Bone like this.
  12. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    I've mentioned this before: Seems someone at the Gretsch shop has a week wrist! I always give all the nuts and screws an extra little tightening. Esp the tuners and the jack plug. Only takes a few minutes to go around and check everything.

T Bone likes this.
  13. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Glad the return went so smoothly T Bone, and kudos to Riff City.

I had a similar issue with buying my first Pro Jet. I got it in black, and it wasn't until I got it home that I started noticing the little nicks here and there (it was hanging on the wall, after all). I should have examined it more carefully, but love was blind. I ended up taking it back, because I couldn't see paying the "new" price for a guitar that could easily have been called "used." I was offered a discount, too, but by then the guitar was just too much a negative in my head. And that's how I ended up with the FSR red/white Pro Jet! :)

T Bone and CatTones like this.
  14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    There’s probably two reasons for this: intentionally not overtightening because of risk of damaging the finish, and the finish shrinking a bit as it cures. The latter is probably unlikely though, with modern poly being the norm.

T Bone and benjwri like this.
  15. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Haven't done it yet, but will. Hard case scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Bigsby and Towner Bar will be ordered this week.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice