So, I learned something about my tube amp today, and a tube amp question

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    When was the last time you bought tubes?? :D

swivel, Robbie, ruger9 and 1 other person like this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It could also be due to the new tubes being closer in spec to the bias point. All performance tolerances vary. As it's a Class AB amp, a matched set of output tubes should be used. It's an imperfect world, and tubes are 100 year old tech, so there easily could be an issue with the tubes. Glad you had some that worked for you.

ruger9 and radd like this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ahh 12 months ago :)
    Prices have gone up I see but Doug still has many 12ax7 preamp tubes around $10-15 each

http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/sovtek-12ax7-wa.html

http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/electro-harmonix-12ax7.html

Power tubes are always more expensive but Doug presently has these Sovtek EL84 for only $12.50 . Great price on an excellent power tube.

http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes/el84-6bq5/sovtek-el84.html

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    radd likes this.
  4. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Different power tubes of the same type (6V6 in this case) can sound different, especially if the amp isn't re-biased when you switch them. But I've NEVER had new power tubes (re-biasing or not) be different enough that I had to adjust my pickups. The amp controls maybe one notch here or there, but never the pickups....

BTW- with that amp under a table like you have it (I have a similar setup), and against a wall, that will increase the bass response.... altho putting on your little riser might help negate that, but amp placement can definitely play a role in low-end frequencies...

Waxhead, swivel, Ricochet and 2 others like this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Microphonic tube, I have not had a booming one but it is possible microphonic combined with the right resonant frequently and bias could easily been the perfect mix for you issue. I haVe pulled noisy tubes and they have never worked in another amp so I tossed them. My last set of xxx head tubes failed. Turned her on warmed her up hit one big chord and after the initial attack silence! The threw them all out and put in new. Tubes can do some frustrating things at times!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Waxhead, swivel and radd like this.
  6. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    And unless the bias is way way off, I've never seen bias make a big difference like that.

Bertotti, ruger9 and radd like this.
  7. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    To learn more about tube amps, look for a podcast called The Truth About Vintage Amps. It's related to The Fretboard Journal. Terrific info from a guy who has been fixing tube amps for decades.

stevo and radd like this.
  8. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Which is why I said...

;)

stevo likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I deserved that. :D

I guess I was trying to highlight the extremes. I've swept my bias pot from one extreme to the other and it never made much if any difference in tone.

Ricochet and ruger9 like this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    My last 3 amps were solid state... I'm just saying.:D

unknown fan, Robbie and ruger9 like this.
  11. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I'm surely digging my Roland Blues Cube Artist... (altho that didn't keep me from buying a Bad Cat soon after :D )

Ricochet likes this.
  12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Love my Roland Blues Cube Stage. However, I have found that my Strat and Tele sound simply glorious through my Princeton Reverb. I think Fender tube amps love single coils.

13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Something else different with the two new power tubes. I would get occasional crackling that would come and go. That is gone. I gotta think one of, or both, the tubes were bad

14. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    In the '50s, most tubes averaged between $5 and $10, with some even cheaper. Tubes were used in all electronics, and were common and available. You could find them at the grocery and drug stores. Now, they're niche items, only used by audiophiles and guitarists. Prices aren't that bad, considering.

Ricochet, new6659 and radd like this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah agree Bertotti :)
    I've seen bad tubes make all kinds of weird noises that surprised me - buzzes, screams clicks etc. Extreme boomyness is no surprise to me.

Bertotti and radd like this.
  16. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Thanks for that! I've been listening and really enjoy it.

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Even minor bias adjustments on some amps. A teacher I got a couple lessons from has a Marshall, he was a huge AC/DC fan, so he had whichever Marshall did it for that. But it had no clean headroom at all. I took a meter to it and Cooled off the bias a bit. Not much and honestly I can’t remember how much I changed it but the tone change was dramatic. He was happy because now that doggone Marshall had a very good clean tone and with a bit of Knob tweaking still got his AC/DC break up and more. I just remember it was a very minor change in bias.

Waxhead and radd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice