So, I learned something about my tube amp today, and a tube amp question

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Nov 7, 2019.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    AEBDAF58-DC61-493B-A359-8A24F3F4C123.jpeg
    Here is the deal, been playing my new 5232 Jet through my Fender Princeton Reverb 65 reissue that I love and these darn Blacktops we’d just booming on the low strings, especially the low E. I adjusted them and the pole and got them acceptable but not as nice sounding as the Blacktops in my 5420

So, I went and got my 5420 and guess what....Yup boomy. With my brilliant powers of deduction I puzzled out that the guitars were not to blame.

I did buy the amp used and is was in good shape but the PO did throw in a new set of stock replacement power tubes. Mmmmm, why he do that? Ok, let’s throw them in.

Yup, new power tubes, boom all gone. Re-adjusted the Jet Blacktops back to a more typical settings and they sound beautiful.

My question, yes I do have one, is that common or uncommon for old power tubes to effect tone gust way, I would have expected it to be one of the preamp tubes....But I’m not an amp guy, I just use the silky things

Ok, ok, let’s not even mention Bias.......

Thanks

Tadhg, Ricochet and audept like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Interesting, thanks for your unbiased observations.

3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    That left a mark.

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    :D:D

5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

:p

audept likes this.
  6. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    That surprises me really. Have you tried using input 2 with humbucking pickups?

Also, I don't know about reissues but I like my PR's best at 4 bass and 6.5-7 treble.

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

It had not done that before, using input 1.

8. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Input 2 is supposedly for Humbucking pickups. Not sure if that was a ever a Fender announcement but been the "fender info" for 50 years. It's a little tamer input. Not saying that has anything necessarily to do with the Boom.

9. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

When they reissued the amp, did Fender fix the voltage instability in the phase inverter tube circuit? That was a notorious problem in vintage Princeton Reverb amps, especially when using Gibson guitars

10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    39D3FB22-6B02-4408-AADC-32A04A0AFE5F.jpeg

I have no clue.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Yup, I used to do that years ago, it did not appear to be an issue in recent years with my guitars. Worth a try.

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well doesn't surprise me - tubes ain't tubes :)

You say the PO put in an old set of tubes before he gave it to you - oh yeah why?

Likely he preferred the previous tubes and wanted to offload the old ones on you.
    Could be those old tubes never sounded good and age has nothing to do with it. You'll never know for sure but I suggest you take note of exactly what brand and type of 6V6 they are and never buy another set for the Princeton.

Having said that ..... those same tubes might be great in another amp.
    They just don't suit a Princeton is all.
    Tubes ain't tubes :)

13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    No, he gave me a new set of power tubes when I bought it. His other amps are Carrs, so he may have had no use for the back up set. They are the same exact brand and tube as stock.

14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok well likely just some bad tubes for your Princeton for whatever reason.
    If you experiment with other brands of preamp and power tubes you'll likely improve the Princetons tones even more :)

radd likes this.
  15. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Pretty much the same here. Princeton amps seem to work best with single coil pickups. Unless you are playing single note leads.

16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Ya, but....they ain’t cheap:(

17. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    More likely it was just the change in tubes, but it could be age too. If you also noticed a significant increase in volume, it was the age of the tubes. But I a/b'd a few sets of EL84s one time and the differences were frustrating to no end.

Were these really old US made tubes?

Bertotti likes this.
  18. Groutsch

Groutsch Electromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    I've heard of old tubes making a signal weak, but not booming. But were you possibly hearing a microphonic tube? When I first got my Peavey Classic 30, I would get howling when I played notes on my low E string, I think G and Ab were especially able to trigger it. One of the power tubes had gone bad, so I replaced the whole set and the problem disappeared.

19. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

You could be right about the howling

20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    No but there is a $$ saving shortcut :)

Email Doug at http://www.dougstubes.com/

give him details of your Princeton, what tubes it has now (both preamp and power tubes) and guitars you play. Tell him what your tone desires are - like do you want low noise, more gain, less gain, more smoothness, less boomyness, more tight low end, more chime etc.

Ask him to recommend you a full tube set to deliver your tone desires for your Princeton. Doug will not recommend the most expensive tubes - they maybe his cheapest and they'll likely be a mix of brands.
    Doug is 100% reliable and never failed me over 20 yrs :)

Dougs tubes has the biggest range of brands and cheapest prices I've seen.
    All his tubes are tested and matched before shipping.
    A full set of 10 tubes has never cost me more than $100.

Henry, radd and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice