So I FINALLY tried out the D'Addario Balanced Tension strings

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by BarryMClark, Apr 11, 2016.

1. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    Seeing as how D'Addario gave me a set, I figured it's about time I actually used them. haha.

So, I got these strings awhile back but I just didn't know what I was going to do with them until yesterday.

What I received was the new 9 gauge Carbon Steel Balanced Tension set (NYXL0940BT). What I typically play on is much heavier gauge sets and in flats.

Lately, I have been on a 70's era blues rock sound a'la ZZ Top and the flats on the old Gretsch just wasn't cutting it. SO.... now I had something I could do with the smaller gauge roundwounds.

The idea is that you get a stronger string and a more even tension going from string to string. The balanced feel is definitely there. Whether they hold up longer remains to be seen.

The bark and bite I wanted was definitely there. Great for grittier blues tones. I will definitely get another set when the time comes.

2. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I use the NYXL's never tried these balanced tension strings I'll have to check em out. I was a beta tester for the NYXL's and I love them

Kmonz90 likes this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I've got'em on a few guitars and i like how they feel

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have been using the NYXL 10-46 Balanced Tension sets for the last year and I love them. Just a little stiff at first until you play them in but then they feel great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice