So here is one of my dilemmas

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by brodg68, Jan 27, 2019.

1. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I'd go with the 5420T. You're getting a real bargain on it, and if you eventually decide that you'd rather have a different guitar, you should be able to sell the 5420T at a profit or trade it without any trouble. (But the 5420T is such a great guitar that you may not want to part with it.)

2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Like other said, that is a good maybe great deal for the 5420, depending on generation and condition, and that is pretty much the standard price on a streamliner.

Waxhead likes this.
  3. Donaldo

Donaldo Electromatic

Nov 15, 2018
    Newcastle, UK
    Big fan of the Blacktops, 5420 vote from me.

4. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
  5. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    5420 all day long! Great guitars...

6. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    In before someone says '5420'! :D

but seriously, get the 5420...

7. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Man are you sure a new 5420t and case for that money. Jump no run back to the store and get it. I hope their is nothing wrong with it at that price. Buyer Beware

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you plan on upgrading pickups and other things anyways, get the right 'husk' or 'bones' that fit you. Finish quality is part of the difference, but fret work hasn't been noticeably different. Streamliners have big chunky necks and skinnier frets. G5420s are slimmer and have medium jumbos. The G2420T doesn't have a sound post, and you get a different tone that way, but mainly a helluva lot of feedback at lower volumes. Then there's the colors and inlays you might prefer.

If you plan on going stock, with very little mods, then G5420T all the way.

9. brodg68

brodg68 Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    north carolina
    It seems everyone is on the same page in here. The orange vice candy apple red is toughest part to me.

The finish on the streamliner surprised me and both sound pretty good to my ears. I took a little pathfinder 15R and tried both guitars. Unfortunately they aren't in the same store and I wasn't about to touch the 6120T that was hanging there on the wall. No sir, not even on a dare!

- if you've never walked in with your own beat up little amp to try a guitar at GC...give it a try. The looks on the faces of the salespeople is worth it.​

I'll agonize a little more and probably go back this weekend for the 5420. Price blew me away but everything seemed legit. I could probably flip it but there seems to be a trend the resale value of all my guitars comes close to $0 cause I hate to part with any of them.

If it's gone - that was a sign.

Thanks everyone for confirming my fever diagnosis

Bertotti and calebaaron666 like this.
  10. brodg68

brodg68 Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    north carolina
    Don't want to be the guy who pops in only when he needs something. Priorities change as my older parents slip away from me.

- Bought the 5120 for $450 and loved it. I even had fun playing with intonation on the floating bridge & getting the strings lined up on the pole pieces (Insert a shout out for the member who first put the advice up to FOLLOW the TV Jones directions on pickups)

- First bigsby restring job

- Lady at work wanted to get her husband a nice Gretsch for his birthday but there was no way she could afford what he wanted and was looking at Streamliners

- well she got him a set up 5120 and hard case for $450

Me - I went to Illinois and my Mom is now moved into a memory care unit. I played a nylon string for her the days I was there. Mom only knew me as the nice boy with the guitar and my Dad told me he loved me and was proud of me. He's sharp as a tack and made up silly words to songs I sort of made up on the spot. My Mom thinking I am nice and my Dad being proud of how I turned out was pretty sweet to my 51 year old ears.

Thanks for the help & everything would have been different without your help - it worked out for the lady at work, me, and my parents - take care - brodg68

Ricochet, new6659, Bertotti and 3 others like this.
  11. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Thanks for sharing that wonderful story. You've earned yourself some real karma points with that 5120. Don't be surprised if you stumble across a 6120 for $450 tomorrow. :)

You, your mom, and your dad will be in my prayers tonight.

larryb, new6659 and Bertotti like this.
  12. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
  13. Joe M

Joe M Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Michigan
    Wait,what? Does that mean you sold the lady at work YOUR 5120? If so, remember, what goes around comes around. Pay it forward and all those other cliches. Good for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice