So, Drinking Cheap Whisky and listening to Doctor Feelgood

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Funky54, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    If Jamesons, Canadian Club and Crown Royal please your palete you should try Gibsons Finest. I've had trouble finding it when visiting the inlaws in NJ though so not sure how common it is in the US.
    10344352.jpg

Beardog likes this.
  2. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I am not really a whiskey guy but I do have a bottle of Four Roses single Barrel in the cabinet.

3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Although it's certainly not my only choice of beverage, I have had a love affair with single malts for many, many years... fortunately for me, I married a woman with very similar taste.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sh4rkbyt3, blueruins, Funky54 and 4 others like this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    These were the guys. The most dangerous fistfighting hard drinking band on earth.

Beardog likes this.
  5. JCW513

JCW513 Electromatic

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    This is what i came in expecting.

I do say that as someone who likes Motley Crue a lot..

Beardog likes this.
  6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    You get good discounts for bulk buy in barrels? :p

tartanphantom likes this.
  7. tartanphantom

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I could only wish!:D That picture with the barrels was taken when I visited Islay on holiday in 2016. If I could have got one through customs, I would have definitely done it!

audept likes this.
  8. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Yes they were!

9. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    Aren’t we playing the wrong guitars to be drinking that?

Tinman46 and tartanphantom like this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Gorgeous! That's the key to drinking good spirits, having lots of variety and sampling so your supply lasts. Having a fine scotch at home is more affordable than a cheap beer at a bar.

tartanphantom likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Careful taking the cap off, I heard the neck can snap easily . . .

blueruins, Tinman46 and tartanphantom like this.
  12. tartanphantom

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I agree 100%. I try to keep a wide variety of expressions handy. I have a liquor store near me that has one of the best single malt selections in the southeastern US. Every now and then we invite a handful of friends over for a tasting session, complete with tasting notes, food, etc. My friends and family have stated repeatedly that I need to write a book on single malt scotch... but I tell them it's all been written before. The only thing I could add would be my own tasting notes and opinions. Hardly book-worthy to me.

I suppose the funniest thing to me is that whenever we go whisky shopping, my wife says that I inevitably end up making recommendations to newbies in the store every time... she always laughs and says-- "Are you holding court again?":D But I always love to introduce novices into the world of single malts... wish I knew someone like me 30 years ago-- I would have saved myself a lot of money over the years-- especially early on.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 11:41 PM
    Henry likes this.
  13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Maybe it's just me but if I was using that stereo setup I don't think I'd be wasting it on big hair records. Most of them were over processed, too much reverb, etc.
    Mobile Fidelity stuff like Dark Side Of The Moon, Abbey Road, Hotel California, Alan Parsons, etc. So many that were recorded better. Even Deep Purple & Zeppelin had more punch and dynamics.

14. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Dug this out of my CD archives after seeing this thread. It’s been, what, 30 years now since I bought it, so my memory’s a little fuzzy, but a couple of recollections:

First, this was one of the first relatively good sounding CDs that I ever purchased. At the time, record labels were rushing to get their back catalogues out on this hot new media, and there were a lot of underwhelming audio transfers (some that couldn’t be helped, some that could, I suppose). Yes, I realize that “good sounding” is in the ears of the beholder, and listening to it just now, I’m not as impressed as I recall being in 1989, but to my 1989 eardrums, this one was an overproduced, highly compressed high output thing of beauty.

Second, this was a FUN album. From the ominous opening rumble of Dr. Feelgood through Don’t Go Away Mad to the cheesy Time For Change, this one was the closest thing to all-killer-no-filler since Def Leppard’s Hysteria. It’s hair metal. Turn off your brain, manage your expectations, and enjoy.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  15. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Do not know about your fancy whiskey. We get ours out of a 1 gallon milk jug. Some of it is aged for a least two days.

speedicut and tartanphantom like this.
  16. tartanphantom

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Actually, I got ya covered there too... I have a relative who is a master redneck distiller in the Alabama backwoods, and he runs very small, tight batches. No continuous runs, no radiators, and no car batteries. ;)

by the way, the one on the left in the photo was actually aged for 6 months in an ex-Jack Daniel barrel.

The good thing about this is that, if you don't like to drink it, you can always use it to remove paint or kill fire ants.:p:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 11:09 AM
    audept, speedicut and johnny g like this.
  17. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I've found the Canadians to be more of a breakfast whiskey...for sipping or drinking I prefer a Bulliet or Buffalo Trace.

There are some expert shiners in the northern part on my county ( Tuscaloosa) and north of them...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice