Small vintage 7ender amps: rising prices!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Stefan, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have a goal! Besides adding more tube amps at some point, all depending on funds of course, but I would like to have several sets of tubes for each of my amps. I want to make sure I always can play them until I die but I would also like my kids to have the ability to play them or at the very least sell them with a set of tubes. I think over time these may become harder and harder to get. I hope that doesn't happen, it seems a lot of tube amps are still sold but who knows what younger kids will chase at some point. I can still hear a difference in ss and tube. maybe not in a recording or online but at home side by side I can and for me, that's where the tone matters the most. If someone is happy with emulations or ss or mapping whatever that's great. I use my fake amps in the Zen also but I prefer to sit down and hear my tube amps. Even the hybrids aren't as full and room-filling as my tube amps. I would love to have one of these Fenders before the prices get where I couldn't afford one but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I still have a Moonshine on my mind.

Charlie westside and Lionpotato like this.
  2. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Nothing beats the real thing. If you listen closely you can hear the digitization of the signal.....which can be harsh and thin. Tube amps fill a room live.

Bertotti likes this.
  3. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I played solid state for years until I discovered the rich sound of tubes. Now I only use tubes. I think it's great that you wanna have a couple more with additional tubes. A Legacy for your kids. I like the idea. Think I'll find a way to do the same thing. I think you're right. It's a matter of time before digital modeling totally takes over. Sad. I have a Blackstar & Vox. Like you I'd like to own Fender like a Princeton. Fender just released, @ Summer Namm their all new solid state digital versions of the Fender tube stuff for less. God only knows how long before they phase the tubes out all together or they'll become like Gibson Guitars so expensive that they will be unattainable Amps & become a status symbol. Luckily for us we have our tube amps:). And maybe we got at least a little more time to pick up another desired amp or two. Of course We have to first come up with the economic fortitude.

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I bought my first amp and guitar at the same time. Went a bit over my budget on the Guitar so I grabbed an MG 50 marshall, sounded good in the store got home and within a week I was sick of the breakup tone it provided. Sadly a lot of that dislike was because before I left a guy came in and plug into the xxx super forty and it was room-filling lush tube goodness, nothing harsh about it nice breakup and beautiful cleans but about 2oo over my budget. The store was 430 miles from my home but I called and they allowed me a late return if I bought the xxx, so I did and got a deal on it because it sat in the showroom over a year. People would come in and jack up the eq but it isn't a passive eq so noon was flat and up was gain and down was cut. Worked out for me. Showed a guy how to dial it in and he went form this is crap to man what a great tone. One of the few times I actually got lucky! The Fender was significantly more.

Charlie westside likes this.
  5. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I hope you still have it. Sounds sweet.

Bertotti likes this.
  6. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Guess why they’re so pricey: they’re worth it, really. It‘s the sum of the old parts that are played for decades and now are welted together. Old amps sounds better, different and much more lively. You can hear silkier heights, twangier basses, more overtones, longer sustain...they‘re something else.

7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    A properly built modern clone will do the same job, with equal if not better reliability, cheaper than the originals. My little TAD PR sounds divine with the 12" speaker and uprated transformer. Mine cost £900 and a tin of solder.

Dave-B and Bertotti like this.
  8. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I know the TAD clones are sweet and of course better than the Reissues, but to me the originals (as far as I know them) got a handful more warmth, dynamics and sorry, 'mojo'. But generally I have to agree, those are less expensive and anyway fine amps.

Uncle Daddy likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My buddy just pickup a little 1977 Fender Champ

10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Ah, that mojo factor. Next time I see some up for sale I'll grab a bucket full!

11. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    That’s why I‘ve set the word Mojo in single quotation marks...I‘ve played a lot of amps in the last 25 years, but this lil‘ old Princeton honestly beats them all. Dunno what it is. It just sounds paramount.

Uncle Daddy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice