Small vintage 7ender amps: rising prices!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Stefan, Aug 9, 2019.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Them prices are nutty! You can get tweeds around here for that kinda money. Screenshot_2019-08-10-01-00-43-1.png

MotorCentaur likes this.
  2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    ^ But they’re still in their birthplace USA ;)

hcsterg likes this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    True, Henry : you can't imagine the number of Oldies I have for repairs in that category... I won't complain : often, they are kind people, willing to pay for a quality restoration job, while not always wealthy though .

One of them is a car workshop owner and was a Bass Man in the 60-70s... He returned to Bass some years ago and he loves Ampeg amps (bass and guitar). Here are some of he has - pics taken when they were at home for service or restoration :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These Guys are often way much more interesting that Cork Sniffers Collectors !

You're probably right, Gretschtim1 - and that's what I think too...

A+!

Gretschtim1 and Henry like this.
  4. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes ! So wait, Stefan : do not "monkey" with your 1980 PR - it's a true Gem ! Keep it, and top notch ! :cool::cool::cool:;)

Also think that these were the first BlackFace reincarnation - not reissues... So more rare than the SF ones.

A+!

Stefan likes this.
  5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Haha, no, it sounds perfect. But I‘m still thinking of a „french service“ from you :cool:

6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Nice collection of Ampegs. I still have my all original (except for a few replaced filter caps) 1965 Ampeg Gemini I which I totally love. Great tremolo and the best reverb I have ever heard in a guitar amp.

blueruins likes this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes. Vintage Ampeg guitar amps are not so very common here in France... I think a pal who own a local recording studio has a Gemini, in poor condition, sleeping in a closet : one of these days I'll shake it up !

A+!

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    They are a great sounding amp when they work right. There's a place hear in the US called Fliptops that has just about every part for old Ampeg amps.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It's still in its birth state!:)

10. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I was thinking about parting with my ‘77 Champ for 700 euros.
    I better have a double think about it. :)

11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I had a '66 Reverb Rocket once and it was one of the best sounding amps i ever had.

larryb and hcsterg like this.
  12. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Don't doubt it for a moment. I'm sure someone's created or is creating an app already.

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I find it both cool and irritating. To spend good money on something an app does well a few years later bugs the hell out of me. But I also think we need more tube choices and tube manufactures and tube amps and more analog rather than digital in the world.

14. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I totally agree. I have never considered even buying a kemper. I'm happy with my Blackstar tube amp as well as the Vox I have. I like the authentic sound produced by a real amp. All this Tech is just a simulation to try to achieve certain sounds generically produced to mimic the equipment that you and I like to play.

Lionpotato, MotorCentaur and Stefan like this.
  15. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Good to know - thanks !

A+!

16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Along with an Ampeg, a Magnatone would be nice in my collection... Magnatone are almost non-existent here in France !

A+!

Lionpotato and Charlie westside like this.
  17. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    I worked on my friends Magnatone 420 (440?) a long time ago, when I just starting to learn about tube amp repair/maintenance. It was a real rats nest of wiring in there. All point to point, and a couple turret strips. And the design employs Varistors, variable resistors, good luck finding replacements for those.

18. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    In 2006 I bought a ‘72 Champ on a well known auction site for $350. Eventually, had it serviced and a Weber Sig. 8 and ext. speaker jack added. Was a great amp! Missed it dearly and bought a ‘78 Champ earlier this year for $522, and drove out to pick her up (was listed on Reverb at a shop which just happened to be somewhat close). Glad they’re (Silverface Fenders) still somewhat reasonable.

Lionpotato likes this.
  19. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    indiana usa
    if i remember right i think i give 400 for my SF vibrochamp. fantastic condition with original owners manual.
    no way id even consider selling. not so much because i think its worth that much more but because its my go to amp. it just works for every thing i do at a level i can use at home. i dont play out but with a mic it'd still work fine if i did.

Lionpotato likes this.
  20. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I can understand prices for vintage guitars, I want one, but it seems that the affordable ones now, at least in my budget, is around late 70's when Fender QC was just absolutely horrendous.. but amps? is it really worth it to get a vintage amp? how about repairs and service? but yes, I want a vintage amp, I want a real 59 Bassman, thats my dream amp.

Lionpotato likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice