Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Small 'practice amp'.....?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by advid, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Zeke

Zeke Gretschie

Aug 14, 2017
    United States
    Lots of good recommendations here. Ever thought of playing an acoustic guitar?

russmack likes this.
  2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok I'm gonna throw a spanner (wrench) into the works of all you Gretsch owners with el cheapo amps.

That is ...........
    what is the point of owning an expensive great sounding Gretsch (or any other great guitar) if you play it thru a cheap crappy sounding solid state amp?

Why are you mixing Bollinger with Coke?

It defeats the purpose of owning an expensive guitar if you amplify it with poo.
    Your expensive Gretsch will sound like crap through an el cheapo solid state amp or bottom of the pile little tube amp. So if that's what your using at home there is no point in owning a Gretsch imo

Gretsch guitars are fantastic and expensive and they deserve to sound there best by running them through equally top of the line tube amplifiers. Imo you are wasting your $$ on the guitar if you will not play it through an equally great tube amplifier.

There's not a single amp mentioned in this thread that is worthy of any Gretsch imo.
    Food for thought guys :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  3. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    [​IMG] if you got a computer or iphone/android go iRig amplfire. experiment with a lot of different tones. practice with headphones option. record yourself. edit. layer. get garage band app and really start writing songs. just truly hear yourself and save the file and hear the progress you are making.

4. T Bone

T Bone Gretschie

Spanner aside, I may be a tube snob, but not a fan of solid state amps (or digital effects). That said, the little AC 4 TV Mini I suggested sounds great with my Silver Jet (and other guitars). So do the mid sized tube amps I mentioned, as well as the larger ones I left out (because they don't fit at all with the requested criteria).

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Oh I know this game...

The vehicle of our choosing does not dictate the road we travel.

6. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    In what world is $375 for the vox cheap? seems out of touch to all us fathers of 3 with three different baby mama.
    [​IMG]

7. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Gretschie

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Not even the Vox AC15 ? Otherwise you may have a point. Also it is an unwritten rule on Gretsch-talk that we are all really great at spending other peoples money

zebulon likes this.
  8. Zeke

Zeke Gretschie

Aug 14, 2017
    United States
    I did some of my best practicing with this device, the Pocket Rock-It Pro.

Pocket Rock-It.JPG

You plugged it into your guitar, (even an expensive one, lol), plugged in your music player via the AUX input, plugged in your head phones, and played until you couldn't stand it anymore.

Hey, I see they still make it!

https://pocket-rockit.myshopify.com/collections/all

zebulon likes this.
  9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    If you read the original post (enclosed) he is asking for an inexpensive practice amp that sounds half decent. He wants to play Chet Atkins style stuff through it.

I would love to able to recommend that he purchases a Matchless, 1965 Princeton Reverb or an AC15HW but that is not what he asked for.

Additionally, several Gretschies sought to expand his search criteria with some amps a little more expensive such as the AC10. Several others proposed significantly more expensive amps such as the iconic Deluxe Reverb, an amp that has been pleasing players for generations.

If you have a recommendation that dovetails into the OPs request I'm sure it would be helpful to him if you stated it.

ruger9 likes this.
  10. Zeke

Zeke Gretschie

Aug 14, 2017
    United States
    Gimper likes this.
  11. GWiZ

GWiZ Electromatic

May 27, 2017
    Reading PA
    Hi advid, I'd also recommend the Yamaha THR series. I have a THR5. Compact, AC or batteries, great at home volume levels, excellent effects, simple to use and about $200. Also there's the VOX VX1 for about $100. Don't see it mentioned much, but I like it. Check it out on YouTube. Good luck! A lot of excellent choices here.

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes Tony I understand that.
    I'm just making another more general point about the value and logic of mixing Bollinger with Coke :)

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes AC15 is clearly worthy - did not see it mentioned here.
    And if you're spending big $$ on a Gretsch already it makes no sense to me to ruin it with crappy amps and pedals. Gretsch deserves better imo :)

14. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    In this case the OP bought a used 5120 so not big money.

zebulon, T Bone and Joe90 like this.
  15. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I understand my friend, and I don't disagree. Heck, my "bedroom amp" is a 1961 brownface Vibrolux. I LOVE a great amp. Our friend Advid is looking for something more modest for his needs. Me, I like amps that do my Gretsch guitars proud. Like you.

On a serious note, my wife and I went on a cool vacation for a one month time frame. My deal with my employer was I would telecommute from my location on a reduced work schedule. I was cool with that but being away from my gear was tough. I ended up taking a Gretsch 5129 and a Mustang 1 amp. It saw me through that month surprisingly well. Most of it was on headphones as we were in a condo but nonetheless, it worked pretty well. I wrote a bunch of tunes and learned a bunch more.

OK, back to the 1964 Bassman. :D:eek:

PS: Bollinger with coke? YUK!

zebulon and Waxhead like this.
  16. Joe90

Joe90 Synchromatic

Jul 6, 2014
    Canada
    I wouldn't compare the 5120 to fine Champagne, it's more a decent blended rye whisky. Coke is an appropriate mix for it.

You want a SS practice amp that you can hear yourself while you play and improve your technique. Something you can play until either it breaks, or you get sick of it and want to upgrade. The nice thing about SS practice amps (besides their price point) is that they have a headphone plug.

I don't know much about the Champion 20 but it should fit your needs to a degree. The Mustang I or II are other SS amps that you should seriously consider: they have the Fender Fuse option that would allow you to hook it up to your computer and play around a little more with the sound to get a closer match to what you want. I have the Mustang II v2 and I am able to program it to get a passable representation of my tube amps at low volume and on my headphones.

zebulon likes this.
  17. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Gretschie

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Well in UK I reckon the guitars about £500 used, so it's not a cheap guitar. So don't spend a £100 on a cheap amp. Save up a bit more before you pull the trigger might be reasonable advice.

18. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  19. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Gretsch 5222/Fender Champion 600. Excellent little tube amps. Find one that has the upgrade on Reverb.com.

wabash slim and ruger9 like this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok Joe but I don't agree.
    A 5120 may not be Bollinger but its still high quality champagne or liquor imo.
    Neither of them deserve Coke imo and have you seen what Coke does to peoples teeth :)

I have a cheap SS amp also which only gets use with my 2 Gretsch when my tube amps are not operating (ie never). My Bollinger with Coke comment is only relevant if an el cheapo SS amp is all you have :)

Tony65x55 likes this.