slap me silly...!

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Goldfingers007, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Goldfingers007

Goldfingers007 Electromatic

Feb 11, 2020
    Kansas City
    Hello Gretschers..

Being decision impaired and on a Dad budget, (last on the proverbial Totem Pole and the family dog has a better dental plan), I am in need of the best slapback delay pedal that is in reasonable fiscal boundaries. Maybe, I could be convinced of the best pedal and sell off some other junk and sacrifice some stuff and sell it to get the "ultimate" pedal for slapback.

I am strongly considering the following and would love y'alls input or advice:

JHS Milkman ( simple and has a boost to boot)--plus they made in my backyard of KC and they said I could see the production and pick it up at their facility... kinda cool.

Boss DD-3 (tried and true--seems to lack what newer pedals offer)

MXR Carbon Copy

Strymon El Capistan (used market looks almost affordable

Strymon Volante ---New kid on the block and I would have to donate some blood and sell a lot of cannolis

Mystery Brain-- high end and high price for moi, but maybe it's all I need...

Anything else...?

I am always chasing tone, but I love a good slapback echo sound a' la the good old Sun Studios, Brian Setzer,
    or classic Rockabilly (Gretschabilly) sound....

Cheers...!
    -todd

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  2. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    My vote is the Mystery Brain, worth every penny. My Mystery Brain and my El Pescadoro are always on.

3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I must be doing something wrong because I have not tried a mystery brain for slap back but then again I don’t play anything needing slap back but for delay the Carbon Copy is good. I do like mine but would love a stereo delay which my CC is not. I have eyes the Volante, Time line, source audio nemisis and now the the source audio collider which is delay and reverb

Goldfingers007 likes this.
  5. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Carbon Copy is good, but dark. A taste thing. Mystery Brain well fills the bill as it was purpose built and Tavo knows what he's after. Plus, it comes with his famous pre-amp - all in one package. If you are opposed to pre-amps or already have one you are happy with, the indisputable clarity of the El Capistan is pretty much the ticket. I own all three. Ain't giving 'em back.

6. Goldfingers007

Feb 11, 2020
    Kansas City
    Mystery Brain is on the high side price wise... but so is the Volante. If the Carbon Copy comes off as sounding dark then that one may not be for me. The Volante does a bunch, but probably more than I would ever need nor want to be honest. I have heard samples of the Volante doing a nice slapback, but I haven't heard one yet in person or talk to someone of whom owns one.

T Bone likes this.
  7. Fasteddie42

Fasteddie42 Electromatic

Sep 18, 2018
    tip of the mitt
    The way huge aqua puss all day long.

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Hey if the Mystery Brain does slap back, like I said I never tried, them that is the one because it is an always on pedal. There was a bright version of the Carbon Copy at one time but mine is dark quite dark. I never tried the bright one. Sell a kidney get the Mystery Brain.

9. Goldfingers007

Feb 11, 2020
    Kansas City
    I sold one kidney to buy the SSLVO ... ahhaha

T Bone and Bertotti like this.
  10. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Aqua Puss is way popular in these parts. I bit bright for me, but once again, a taste thing.

Goldfingers007 and Bertotti like this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    All O can say is knowing what I know now the first two pedals I would buy are the Mystery Brain and the JR Barnyard. Third would be the BigSky then as funds hit all the rest I have. Hahahahaha what can I say I love my pedals so much fun!

Tele295 and Goldfingers007 like this.
  12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have a Mystery Brain now and I love it for slap.
    Before I got the Mystery Brain I was using a Maxon AD9 which is an awesome analog delay pedal. The Ibanez AD9 is the exact same pedal, but costs less.
    Worth looking into.

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Doggone I have got to try it for slap just to say I tried it!

Goldfingers007 and calebaaron666 like this.
  14. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I keep mine on for slap at all times!

J Bird and Goldfingers007 like this.
  15. TubeLife

TubeLife Electromatic

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    I hear ya on the price point, but the Mystery Brain is quite nice if I may say. It freed up my Boss DM3 which I no longer need. ;) It wasn’t that the DM3 was bad, in fact it’s an awesome pedal for slap back, but I like the preamp/tape delay as a combo, ala Brain.

16. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    I grabbed a Boss dm3 waza, great pedal, built like a tank and slap back sounds killer. It moved my carbon copy off the board.

Goldfingers007 and TubeLife like this.
  17. Goldfingers007

Feb 11, 2020
    Kansas City
    My buddy also suggested the waza....

CousinWarsh likes this.
  18. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The strymons are overkill and expensive just for slap back. the mystery brain is amazing but you're mostly paying for the preamp, so I would not get that unless you want the preamp (I love it, i have several versions of the brain and am considering another).

19. Goldfingers007

Feb 11, 2020
    Kansas City
    Anyone have any sound samples...?

I have a SSLVO that I am running into a Vibrolux... my pedal board is minimal... just a tube screamer (Ts-9, boss Chorus, Reverb oceans 11, Sasquatch Stank Fuzz, a homemade echo...

20. Goldfingers007

Feb 11, 2020
    Kansas City

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice