Sites similar to reverb?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by derrickw710, Feb 24, 2014.

1. derrickw710

derrickw710 Electromatic

Feb 17, 2014
    Columbus
    So I "bought" a handsome 08' black double jet on reverb.com this morning and was informed by the seller soon after that someone was paying for it in store right when I paid for it. Needless to say he's not going to hold out for someone that he's going to have to ship the thing out to when there's someone handing him cash for it (still waiting on my refund...). I've been keeping an eye open for a black double jet with minis for awhile now on gretsch talk, craigslist, ebay, and reverb, are there any sites that I'm overlooking? Hope this isn't too off topic for "gretsch discussion". Thanks!

2. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Maybe I have unrealistic expectations, but under those circumstances if I did not get a refund PDQ - like within an hour - I'd be filing a complaint with the website. My humble advice is not to wait too long.

3. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    it wouldn't be the website as much as it's the seller. From what I've found out here on GT reverb.com is owned by Chicago music exchange. They bought my les paul custom when I listed it and the deal was quick and easy. I don't know who the seller is but if it takes more then a hour I would contact them directly, and also my credit card company.

4. derrickw710

derrickw710 Electromatic

Feb 17, 2014
    Columbus
    Well it was a couple of hours ago that he "put it motion". If I don't see anything within the hour I think I'll be contacting him again.

5. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    I know nothing about buying and selling on Reverb. I was assuming you have recourse there against a rogue seller like you do on ebay. Possibly a false assumption.

6. derrickw710

derrickw710 Electromatic

Feb 17, 2014
    Columbus
    Got the money back a minute ago and the seller was very apologetic and I can understand it being a complicated thing to deal with while running a shop so no real harm done I guess. I'm still eager to find one the next hopeful. Naturally the guitar seemed abundant before I was looking for one! haha

7. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Whew!!

8. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Country Gent

Jul 19, 2012
    Twin Cities
    Music go round, gbase.com, guitar center used gear listings, sam ash used, The Gear Page emporium.

9. derrickw710

derrickw710 Electromatic

Feb 17, 2014
    Columbus
    Thanks Staggerlee, i'll be checking those out.

10. drrohle

drrohle Synchromatic

Jan 3, 2014
    Hays, KS
    You might want to check out your new purchase in person. I just bought a Double Jet and although I didn't see it before I got it home, the Bigsby is mounted too close to the bridge which is also mounted at a pretty severe angle to the strings. This causes the strings to rub on the TOM housing. So I decided to do a little luthier work and raised the Bigsby using a 1/4" shim. Now the strings clear but the TOM is mounted so far off angled that I can't intonate the lower wound strings without having to reverse the saddles to get more "travel" on them. Other than that (Chineese workmanship) I like the sound, playability and looks of the Gretsch Double Jet.

11. derrickw710

derrickw710 Electromatic

Feb 17, 2014
    Columbus
    That would be ideal drrohle but if it comes to it I don't putting some time and work into cheaper guitars to work out the kinks.

12. drrohle

drrohle Synchromatic

Jan 3, 2014
    Hays, KS
    That's kinda how I feel too, I like working on my own to get it the way I want because I have the skills and means. The only thing that disappointed me is that I had a G5120 that was absolutely flawless. Just tune it an play it. However, it was made in Korea instead of China.:rolleyes:

13. derrickw710

derrickw710 Electromatic

Feb 17, 2014
    Columbus
  14. Bluesman61

Bluesman61 Electromatic

Mar 30, 2013
    Georgia
    Reverb is much better than ebay IMO I can see ebay losing a lot of musician buyers and sellers to Reverb. Ebay charges over 10% to sellers with there fess and everything while Reverb is more like 3.5%. BIG DIFFERENCE. Ebay is gonna get a bit of a reality check.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice