Single coils on E-matic?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by rbpicker, Oct 14, 2019.

1. rbpicker

rbpicker Electromatic

Nov 5, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I just played a new (maybe old stock) 5422T at GC that had the single coil pickups with the G design on them. Black insert with gold G.

What pickups would those have been?

It sounded great and played very well for just coming off the wall at GC. It’s on sale, so I’m tempted.

roger

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  2. rbpicker

rbpicker Electromatic

Nov 5, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I think I just answered my own question. Looking at the website, I see a Super HiloTron listed on some E-Matic 5422 models. Cream pickguard, chrome hardware. Only one set of pole pieces show, so I thought they were single coils. would someone confirm this for me? I’m still pretty green, Gretsch-wise.
    Thanks,
    Roger

3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Super HiLos are dual coil pickups. There is a second coil under the cover with non-adjustable pole pieces.

rbpicker and BorderRadio like this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes those are modern designed pickups, and a dual coil humbucker, voiced to be a little bright like a Hilo I suppose.

rbpicker likes this.
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I do not know anything about super hilos. But the original vintage hilos are super-yummie.

rbpicker likes this.
  6. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Yep, those are SuperHilotrons. They're dual-coil pickups voiced to sound like single-coils without the hum. I love the SuperHilotron in my 5620.

The original vintage Hilotrons were single-coil pickups.

rbpicker likes this.
  7. John Drummond

John Drummond Gretschie

Feb 26, 2016
    United Kingdom
    I have a set of Hilotrons that I fitted to my testbed G2420T streamliner and they've stayed there ever since, their very low output (3.9k Bridge & 3.4k Neck) but have a truly beautiful sound. I believe their out of a 2006 Tennesse Rose.
    [​IMG]

Dyna, S.R.Cash and section2 like this.
  8. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    This is damned interesting! I gotta ask about those inlays! How'd they get in there?

9. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    John, what's that armrest and how did you install it? In summer when I wear t-shirts my naked forearm always sticks to the guitar body as if it was glued there. I can't move it and that affects my playing. It's so annoying that I wear a cut off sock over my forearm. I was thinking maybe an armrest would solve this problem ...

10. John Drummond

John Drummond Gretschie

Feb 26, 2016
    United Kingdom
    It's simply attached by a piece of double sided tape (wasn't sure if I was keeping on) there are also 2 holes in it so you could screw to the edge binding if you wanted to. heres a link to the exact one I bought.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-L...Accessories-/383175499987?hash=item59370a20d3

@S.R.Cash They are just stickers I got off evilbay, if i need to do any work on the guitar I have to take everything through the bridge pickup cavity anyway (the older streamliners had much smaller F-holes than the 2019 onwards).

KuKuKu and S.R.Cash like this.
  11. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I’ve been impressed by the Hi-Los since I owned the Rally.
    Very, very nice pickups. The low output helps my Hiwatt to bring some better harmonics up a lot I found them not so Gretsch-sounding like a Filter or a Dyna, but I already have that twang on some other guitar.
    A real discover. They’re perfect for blues tones.

John Drummond likes this.
  12. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
  13. Dyna

Dyna Electromatic

Nov 16, 2016
    Portland Or
    Anywhere we can see how these sound in this guitar, John?

14. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I never had the occasion to play a HiloTron Gretsch, but I do have 2 Dual Coil Super HiloTron Gretsch :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The DC SHT are humbuckers - see below a DC SHT and a BT FT side to side :

[​IMG]

The DCR of the DC SHT is circa 4.5K, like a BT FT or a HS FT.

Think of a crisp, warm, sweet tone, like a single coil but not thin thanks to the 2nd slug coil. The output level is a bit lower than a HS FT, but certainly higher than a HiloTron and probably with a different tone...

A+!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice