Single coil in humbucker size

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by ruggero78, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ruggero78

ruggero78 Electromatic

Mar 12, 2019
    Italy
    Any of you have tried this so far?

https://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Dunc...Humbucker+P90&qid=1552562274&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Any Experience? I'm thinking of swap my neck Gretschbucker wich is quite unusuable for my music style.

2. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I had some Phat Cats a few years ago. I didn't have the guitar long so not a great amount of time testing them. My impression is they were pretty good, but not single coil tone to my ears. A little bit P90-ish but not entirely and definitely not Fender SC sound. Good tone, not bright, a hint of warmish.

3. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    A polite P90 sound is what I would describe the Phat Cat...
    What tone are you looking for? There are so many options for SCs in a HB shape available these days...

4. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Chasing P-90’s I bought a pair of Gibson P-94’s to replace the 490R and 498Ts in this LP Studio but have never installed them. Instead I’ve decided to just sell the guitar and pups and get a good good top.

B83C8022-77E8-4256-88BA-3CC0AFE734EE.jpeg

5. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Phat Cat sounded great on my Jet Club.
    Recommended mod if you don't want to change the pickups layout, as they perfectly fit the Gretschbuckers holes.

6. ruggero78

ruggero78 Electromatic

Mar 12, 2019
    Italy
  7. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Neck position Phat Cat sounds fine in my Hamer sunburst. And it makes a good match for the Hamer bridge humbucker.

20161009_105917.jpg

new6659 likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I came across an old Ventura Gretsch copycat that had what looked like 'buckers. In reality they were single coils. 'Buckers were newish when this was made, and it was a bit of a scam putting single coils in a humbucker case.

9. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I ordered a "T armond" from TV Jones over a month ago for the neck position on my 5445 Broadway Jade to replace the blacktop filtertron, I'll post a review as soon as I get the pickup

10. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Did Those pickups drop right in as a replacement to the gretschbuckers?

11. ruggero78

ruggero78 Electromatic

Mar 12, 2019
    Italy
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice